The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 133 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#69065 - 05/07/06 09:23 PM salt water fish tanks
Val Offline

Loc: Pa.
Does anyone have any experience with salt water fish tanks? I have fallen in love with one at a local pet store and am thinking of getting it. It reminds me of snorkeling and its just beautiful. Thanks.........

#69066 - 05/08/06 02:23 AM Re: salt water fish tanks
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Val they are especially nice because the salt water fish come in the most fabulous variety of colors and designs. I would suggest buying a book from the pet/fish store or checking the library and studying up before taking on the expense.

#69067 - 05/08/06 03:18 AM Re: salt water fish tanks
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I believe our Vicki's husband has a website on fish.
chick

#69068 - 05/08/06 04:06 AM Re: salt water fish tanks
Val Offline

Thanks everyone. Hubby just put a bid on E-bay for the same one we saw at the store but for less money. So I guess I have a new hobby to add to my other zillion. It's going to be a birthday gift and my son is buying the fish and anenomes. I am so excited.............

#69069 - 05/08/06 10:58 PM Re: salt water fish tanks
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chick, you're right. It is Vicki's hubby. I think it's his main hobby.

#69070 - 05/08/06 11:06 PM Re: salt water fish tanks
Val Offline

Well the one he bid on didn't work out. The seller didn't want to ship it for some reason but hubby is persistent so he will find one. How do I find this Vicki's husbands web site. I am fairly new here in forum world and don't know everyone. Thanks........

#69071 - 05/10/06 05:12 PM Re: salt water fish tanks
Whirlwind Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Val: I've got a 12 gallon Nano-Cube on my desk at work. These things also come in a 24 gallon size. A friend of mine runs an aquarium set-up and maintenance operation, and he helped with the selection.

It is incredibly easy to maintain. It takes me about 20 minutes a month to maintain (water change, wipe down the glass, wash the filter, clean the gravel). Everything is in one piece. The lights and filter are built in to the back of the unit.

I don't have any corals, just a big piece of live rock. Corals require more frequent water changes and chemicals.

Inhabitants include a baby snowflake eel (beautiful!), mosaic starfish, brittle starfish, hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp, blue devil damsel fish, lettuce sea slugs, a couple of sea urchins, and an anemone. Only a few fish are possible in a tank this size, but I can have lots of invertebrates. And I'm considering a frogfish!

Anyway, it's a fascinating hobby. Just add up the maintenance costs before you dive in, so you won't be surprised. The sea water and chemicals can get expensive (I spend about $20 a month on water for my 12 gallon tank, and that's wholesale).

Enjoy! And let us know what tank and critters you get.

Whirlwind

#69072 - 05/10/06 06:11 PM Re: salt water fish tanks
Val Offline

Thats what I'm getting. He ordered the 24 gal. Nano Cube Tank. I am trying to find the straight stand for it also as it has a cabinet under to store stuff. Ugg! I didn't know the monthly costs were going to be high............I am going to use the live sand and live rock to start the environment. Then add one fish at a time. They are so beautiful........I saw one at a pet store and it was love at first site. The fish was hovering inside an anenome and just darts out every now and then but goes back into the tendrils. He was so beautiful (the fish) he didn't look real! The whole set up was mesmerizing.......I think it will be better than prime time T.V.! I apprecate any or all advice on this and which fish you like the best etc. Anything.......as I know this can be a bit tricky. Thanks...............

#69073 - 05/11/06 03:24 AM Re: salt water fish tanks
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Did you all know that watching fish quietly is great for lowering blood pressure and helps with depression issues as well. I've read extensively on this subject and love fish tanks.

#69074 - 05/11/06 03:47 AM Re: salt water fish tanks
almostangel Offline

Loc: Kansas City
I read the same article chatty. I think that was the reason our office had a huge salt water fish tank built into the wall. They are relaxing to watch and I love the fact that I don't have to clean the tank.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved