The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 211 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68640 - 01/29/06 08:24 AM Greenie Treat Warning - *not* a legend
MossPatch Offline

Loc: Midwest
I was browsing www.dogster.com, the Health forum, and read a post from a sad owner whose dog had died after eating a Greenie. Greenies are a compressed vegetable-based treat, shaped like a toothbrush, marketed to clean teeth and freshen breath for dogs AND cats. And dogs love 'em.

I did some more browsing and there is growing concern over the safety of Greenies and similarly made treats. In some dogs, pieces have become lodged in the esophagus, and caused intestinal blockages and perforations. In some dogs, they either do not digest at all, or turn into a wad of Greenie glue.

With my own precious pooch, I noticed she'd vomit chunks of undigested Greenie *hours* after eating one. So I stopped giving them to her. I'd nearly lost her to an intestinal blockage (vomiting was the early warning sign) -- so barfing is a red flag to me.

According to a Newsday article on the www.smokersclub.com site, enough vets have shown concern over the problems caused by Greenies *in some dogs* to begin doing research. The vet intereviewed said that after fish hooks and chicken bones, these vegetable-based treats are next in line as the most frequent causes of blockages.

I haven't found any info on cats and Greenies, yet.

#68641 - 01/29/06 03:44 AM Re: Greenie Treat Warning - *not* a legend
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Thats very true MossPatch and no one that asks ASPCA, PETA or BEST FRIENDS for advice gives Greenies or any kind of Rawhide treat to their animals. They recommend ONLY dog food and Milkbone or other biscuits. These chewy things are not made of natural substances and are dangerous. Another concern are the stuffed toys or ones made of intertwined strings. For a very very special treat besides the GOOD ones I've mentioned, I buy beef jerky and cut it into smaller pieces and they love it, cats and dogs alike. We at the dog organizations find a good rule of thumb to be:
"If you couldn't eat it, don't feed or give it to your pets." Simple, sensible and and safe..... [Roll Eyes]

#68642 - 01/29/06 05:06 AM Re: Greenie Treat Warning - *not* a legend
ladybug Offline

Thanks for the info.

I was going to buy my elderly neighbor's dog some of these as a treat. I certainly won't now.

#68643 - 01/29/06 09:52 AM Re: Greenie Treat Warning - *not* a legend
MossPatch Offline

I agree, chatty lady, about rawhides and similar chewy treats. I do occasionally buy cooked bones with a flavored filling for my dog. She'll lick the innards out of the bone and chew at the bone for a while. But the bone is too big for her to really get her teeth around, so she can't bite any pieces off. Other than that, she has her Kongs which I stuff with kibble and peanut butter. She's 12-ish, and her teeth are fine with dry kibble and biscuits to crunch on.

I can't eat gluten, so I'm not surprised it gives dogs problems.

#68645 - 01/29/06 09:00 PM Re: Greenie Treat Warning - *not* a legend
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'd never heard about the issues with greenies before. I've given them to Jack without any issues, but I'll definitely think twice about it now.

I never did give them to him often, I brush his teeth for him with a toothbrush. He likes it.

#68646 - 01/29/06 10:11 PM Re: Greenie Treat Warning - *not* a legend
MossPatch Offline

Speakermom, pumpkin straight from the can (if your dogs will eat it) is a great source of fiber and an excellent remedy for doggy diarrhea. I should go back to making doggies treats; cheaper and healthier. You have lucky little weiner dogs!

#68648 - 01/30/06 03:46 AM Re: Greenie Treat Warning - *not* a legend
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I still believe that if you wouldn't eat it yourself then why give it to your beloved pet? Our pets will eat anything usually so its up to us to see they don't get anything that could harm them in any way....

#68649 - 01/30/06 07:20 AM Re: Greenie Treat Warning - *not* a legend
Cindy-B Offline

Loc: Cottonwood CA
[Big Grin] I have not given my dogs greenies, but I have experienced dog barfing when I have given them rawhide products to chew on. This can't be good. I have made my dogs their own bickies they especially like the peanut butter ones.

#68650 - 01/30/06 04:16 PM Re: Greenie Treat Warning - *not* a legend
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
quote:
Originally posted by Cindy-B:
[Big Grin] I have made my dogs their own bickies they especially like the peanut butter ones.

I haven't heard the word bickies for biscuits in a long time. We always called 'em that.
chick

#68652 - 01/30/06 09:10 PM Re: Greenie Treat Warning - *not* a legend
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
quote:
Originally posted by speakermom:
Actually, I heard heard, from Mark Marone on Martha Stewart, that today's domesticated dogs need fruits & veggies rather than meat. Most people think of dogs as meat-loving carnivors, but, according to Mark, they like fruits and veggies so you can throw them a mini carrot as a treat just as easily as a meat bone.

Oh, absolutely. This is something I truly believe in. My dog, Jack, loves those mini carrots, and that's what we give him as treats. He will even go sit in front of the refrigerator when he thinks he deserves a treat.

I also give him other veggies, like mushrooms, broccoli, celery, and fruits. He especially likes grapes, but I heard grapes are dangerous for dogs.

When I go to the sink to wash a bunch of fruits or veggies, Jack is right there with me waiting for his share.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved