The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 214 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68120 - 09/26/05 04:43 PM Sheltie or Border Collie?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Hello Friends,

Our family is CONSIDERING getting a dog. We have lived with dogs and cats our entire lives excpet the past 3 - 4 years and I have to admit I love the lack of shedding and no poop. [Roll Eyes]

Alas, the youngest is an animal lover and we are too except we are old enough now not to want to deal with the poop. I love walking barefoot in the grass! [Big Grin]

Anyway, we are consdering a sheltie or border collie. Any comments on training or living with this breed? Our son is six going on seven and loves dogs that are smaller (no labs) and are more on the quiet side (no jumping and slathering) You know, a real friend type dog.

We have always obtained our dogs from the SPCA but if we are looking for a specific breed, how do we find a breeder close by?

Any tips or info you would like to pass on about these breeds is greatly appreciated.

Lynn [Smile]

#68121 - 09/27/05 07:20 AM Re: Sheltie or Border Collie?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Lynn, both of these breeds are excellent dogs. The Sheltie is much smaller but adequate size for a boy your sons age, they are usually a much gentler and quieter dog although frisky and playful.....Border Collies are usually larger and are a working breed so much livelier, need plenty of space and love to run....Larger dogs have larger stool...You should designate a portion of the yard preferably near the back where the dog is allowed to do its business. While a pup, walk him/her there and make certain thats where they go. This will become a habit and save your lawn and walks barefoot as well. I would put some small stone gravel in the area so the dog knows the difference from the rest of the lawn....Always try the SPCA first, especially now with so many dogs needing good homes...

[ September 26, 2005, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#68122 - 09/26/05 08:09 PM Re: Sheltie or Border Collie?
rallygirl Offline

Loc: Crofton, Maryland
Lynn: As the owner and lover of Shelties I am probably a bit prejudiced, but they are the BEST! They are smart, loving, and playful but not so rambunctious (sp?) that they overwhelm. There is a website everythingsheltie.com that can lead you to breeders in your area. PA is a good state for a sheltie as they like a cooler climate (as opposed to say, Florida). Unfortunately as wonderful a breed as they are -- they do poop!

#68123 - 09/27/05 01:49 AM Re: Sheltie or Border Collie?
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
Hi Lyn,

I have a Border Collie that I rescued and I can tell you that they typically do NOT do well with small children. The reason is they have a very strong herding tendency (they are used as sheep herders in other countries) and young children tend to get herded like sheep and sometimes nipped by Border Collies.

Also, Border Collies are the Number one dog in America to be DUMPED (just like my dog was) by their families because they are smart as all get-out and need a "job"-- this is why you see so many Border Collies in those agility competitions, because they have to have an organized outlet for their energy or they get very, very destructive. Most families are not equipped to deal with the high energy of a pure breed border collie.

Also, please consider adopting a dog from a rescue group or a shelter and not buying from a breeder. This country kills 20 million healthy dogs and cats every year simply because there are not enough homes. Sheltie and Border Collie rescue programs abound-- all you have to do is look on the internet, or go to your local PetSmart and ask them to help you find a group. The rescue people will be more than happy to help you find the perfect dog for your family. I can help you find a group if you need me to.

Best,
Kelly

#68124 - 09/27/05 04:26 AM Re: Sheltie or Border Collie?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Kelly I think I love you, no I know I do....We need more people like you in this world. [Razz]

#68125 - 09/27/05 04:38 AM Re: Sheltie or Border Collie?
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
Aw shucks. I'm blushing here.... [Big Grin]

#68126 - 09/29/05 07:11 AM Re: Sheltie or Border Collie?
MontanaBoomer Offline

Loc: Roundup, Montana
Kelly - great advice!!!! A Border Collie can be a handful.
We have several thousand sheep and lots (8-10) of Border Collies who wake up every day and know they have a job to do!! I receive one or two calls a month from people in a nearby town that have a Border Collie that is too much and they want to know if we need another dog. It is very sad. This breed wants to be useful and can get crazy if the outlet is not provided.
I've seen Border Collies used very successfully in Agility Trials and in Companion Programs. You must provide alot of structure and give this dog a purposeful day to day lifestyle.
I don't have any personal experience with a Sheltie, except they seem a little less hyper - have seen them excel in Agility.
In closing, if you are set on a B.C., please read Donald McCaig's "Nop's Trials" first.

#68127 - 09/29/05 10:57 AM Re: Sheltie or Border Collie?
LeAnn Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I've had Shelties for nearly 30 years, and they are *the best* companion dogs. The Sheltie I have now, Pixie, came from the Wisconsin Sheltie Rescue. I agree with Kelly. See if you can find a rescue group. They will help you find a dog that's right for you and your family.

Best wishes in your search!
LeAnn

#68128 - 09/29/05 05:36 PM Re: Sheltie or Border Collie?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Have any of you tried the blue or black light urine detector? I just ordered it. I can't get the old Greyhound we adopted housebroken so I'm continually cleaning up after him. I thought this new gadget might help.

#68129 - 09/29/05 06:01 PM Re: Sheltie or Border Collie?
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Dianne,

How will the gadget help?

Does anyone have any great ideas on getting "pee spots" out of the carpet (dog pee, of course). LOL.

I have an old Lhasa Apso who just pees for spite. She has never been well housebroken.

My new shepherd/heeler mix hasn't had an accident in the house since she was a pup.

Is it me, or are some breeds better about doing their duties outside - or is it temperment of individial dogs, and training?

danita

[ September 29, 2005, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Danita ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved