The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#215711 - 12/09/11 07:34 PM Double Dip Ice Cream
Charlotte Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
around 1956 or so I was devastated when my huge double dip ice cream cones in my small home town went from a nickel to a dime.

#215712 - 12/09/11 07:42 PM Re: Double Dip Ice Cream [Re: Charlotte]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Wow, Charlotte, you must have been devastated, since you were only about 10 at the time, and yet you still remember this!

But then I guess we are talking about "childhood trauma," as suddenly you were impacted by 100% inflation!

Back in the mid-fifties, my allowance was only about 10 cents a week, so with that inflation, I'd have been only able to buy an ice cream cone about once a month.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215713 - 12/09/11 08:00 PM Re: Double Dip Ice Cream [Re: Anne Holmes]
Boomer in Chief

Here's an interesting website that chronicles the price of food. I loved their "Hershey Bar Index."
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216041 - 01/06/12 02:14 PM Re: Double Dip Ice Cream [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Went shopping yesterday. Some items were more expensive at Walmart than the regular grocery chain. Dog food rose 2 cents a can in just days. Mouthwash is $1.50 more per bottle and these stores are across the street from each other. Go figure!

#216042 - 01/06/12 07:37 PM Re: Double Dip Ice Cream [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Hey Jabber, I guess that proves that you need to be vigilant with your comparison shopping. Though Wal-Mart had a big campaign in our market just before the holidays in which they touted their price matching service.

Prior to that I had seen price-matching in action at my local Wal-Mart.If you find a better price elsewhere, and can prove it with a newspaper ad, they will match it.

Of course, this DOES take extra time in the checkout line, and I did get frustrated waiting for the customer in front of me to get her prices lowered.

But if you are willing to shop with all your newspaper ads in hand, I'm pretty sure your local Wal-Mart will match any lower prices being promoted by your local grocery chain... As for me, I like to support local business owners so I buy all my meat and some specialty items at my local grocery, and go to Wal-Mart for staples.

I also get half my prescriptions at the local pharmacy and the rest at Wal-Mart. I'm sort of on the fence about this one, as the Wal-Mart pharmacy has longer hours, offers a generic prescription I can't get at the local drug store, and the pharmacists are friendly and helpful at both locations.

Recently, I was about to buy a new diabetes testing kit at Wal-Mart as my meter had broken -- and the pharmacist told me not to do this.

She pointed out that there was an 800 number on the back of my meter and told me that if I would call it, I'd get another meter sent to me FREE. And she was correct. Who doesn't love saving THAT kind of money?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216044 - 01/06/12 10:06 PM Re: Double Dip Ice Cream [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

That's a good idea Anne but I have seen an ad for the type of mouthwash I was comparing. $1.50 is a big difference. IMHO.

#216045 - 01/06/12 11:30 PM Re: Double Dip Ice Cream [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

It's a HUGE difference!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216108 - 01/12/12 05:16 PM Re: Double Dip Ice Cream [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

That mouthwash price was a labeling mistake. By yesterday it was changed. The prices are now the same at both stores. The canned dog food we buy is $.05 cheaper per can at Wal-Mart than at the area grocery store acrossed the street. Laundry products, dish soap, paper goods and meds I buy at Wal-Mart, too: more reasonable pricing there!

#216134 - 01/14/12 02:41 PM Re: Double Dip Ice Cream [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

How I got from "double dip ice cream" to mouthwash, I haven't a clue!!! LOL...

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved