The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 186 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#208507 - 10/19/10 09:24 PM Family Cultural Recipes
judym Offline

Loc: AL
I HOPE this is a new topic, it may be in the food aspect. The foods prepared lovingly by our great grands, grands, and mamas are worth keeping the thread to- to pass along to our children. A place to archive them would be good. I go to allrecipes.com to see some of the Amish aspect food I grew up on. My Mom and Nana could make a meal out of next to nothing. I would love to see more in that light on here, and I hope that I haven't been remiss in checking in that light- I think it needs to be a dedicated site. We have to keep those traditions alive. We are such a blend of cultures, and that is wonderful- but there are recipes out there that speak to our souls, the things we grew up on that are really the spate of comfort food. I would love to see a post there for all those things that pique our tastebuds and hearken to home...and that is one of the things worth passing onto our children for sure! It may not be the healthiest thing but it is a GOOD thing!

#208526 - 10/20/10 08:15 PM Re: Family Cultural Recipes [Re: judym]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I hear you, JudyM!

I have a great reverence for the family recipes that have been handed down to me. Many are of Norwegian and German heritage, and it is so special to me to serve these foods at special family get-togethers.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#208527 - 10/20/10 09:04 PM Re: Family Cultural Recipes [Re: Anne Holmes]
judym Offline

As well as mine, and those recipes I DO have are treasured. It always makes me happy when I can hear from and elder aunt "Do you have your Mom's Crab Imperial recipe?" And now I have a lot of the recipes replicated closely enough for us ( Amish cole slaw,mayo cole slaw, crab imperial, dried chipped beef on toast, pot roast (to die for!) potato salad, pork and sauerkraut...and more such. My Mom could make dinner out of a pantry and freezer (she didn't drive, she couldn't go to the store readily- we would take the wagon No Lie 3 miles up to the grocery store after one of the local groceries stopped delivering!) and not much there either but it always satisfied us! We had an uncle that had a farm outside of Lancaster, PA- there was always good food there when we would visit on a Sunday,chicken, duck, beef- and I still to this day love the occasional Scrapple feast. In the middle states, they call this Livermush. Do you know what that is? It's pork scraps blended with cornmeal- it is a wonderful satisfying thing for me! It is an acquired taste but so hearkens to my roots(Uncle and his wife were of Dutch German extraction, and all their food was what they grew and still sings my tastebuds in remembrance!). When we do get together, my brother and sister and I- , only on holidays and vacations, sadly, I want to haul out my knowledge and make the things that speak to us...is there a site on here to start posting heirloom recipes? I've looked but I don't know- And if not it needs to be such, we carry so much of that with us if we are so lucky, and it needs to be passed on! If not mouth to hand then a repository of such...I know there are sites to noodle on recipes, and if you get it close you are lucky, but there needs to be something dedicated on here. Love that you have Norwegian(do you make gravalax? ) and German aspects in your recipe repetoire, (oh I hear that! Amish is the same way!) they are awesome! I LOVE to serve the old timey stuff that speaks to me at holidays and everyday when I can, and I love that my sons love cooking enough to want to keep that to the fore. I have a turkey roasting pan from my MIL, she's passed many years ago, and the kids used to pretend it was a boat and get in it on the kitchen floor and pretend to paddle with wooden spoons!. Helen would put a 30 plus pounder FRESH turkey (big Family and lots of Leftovers to delight!) on to cook the night before TG and we'd wake up to the most delicious smells. we'd spend the day before tearing bread and dicing celery and onions for the STUFFING (not Dressing!) ..I sure hope that oldest of mine will take that roaster in time when he and his wife have children...it surely is huge and I try my best to fill it every year but harder every year, since we don't get together as much. the most I will do is a 20 lb. turkey, just for the bonus leftovers and carcass to make stock from!
Please lets start a site for heirloom recipes, if there isn't one here. And if there is, someone educate me where to go. We have to call it Grammy and Momma's Best Recipes. It may be that no one of our time cooks that much anymore,understandably so, but I do love to cook and I feel like this has to be an aspect of this site Best wishes and much love to you all!

#208655 - 10/29/10 08:04 PM Re: Family Cultural Recipes [Re: judym]
judym Offline

Please lets have more of the recipes here, we all have a lot of them in our repertoire and even though passing along to our children thru family traditions (those wonderful Thanksgivings) can we post them in a dedicated spot? worth considering! Thanks

#208663 - 10/30/10 04:45 AM Re: Family Cultural Recipes [Re: judym]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi JudyM,

I like your idea. Let's get it started. Meanwhile, here's a link to a blog post I made some time ago which includes a handful of my favorite family Christmas cookie recipes: Family Tradition Christmas cookies

By the way, that's an old family photo of Christmas cookie baking - the two kids on the right are mine - MANY years ago... These days they'd probably be embarrassed to death if they ever found out I posted that photo... LOL!

Edited by Anne Holmes (10/30/10 04:49 AM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#208665 - 10/30/10 09:55 AM Re: Family Cultural Recipes [Re: Anne Holmes]
Mountain Ash Offline

We dont celebrate Thanksgiving here in Scotland but I have other special days on my calendar..Recipes handed down and a wealth of traditional country cooking traditions.
I am interested in Thanksgiving and what other women do.I look forward to reading what every one eats.
Actually I do give thanks at every meal...so in a personal sense use the word Thank you.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved