The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 142 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#200906 - 03/14/10 10:50 PM Tastes...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Having to take Castor Oil daily when a kid, blah!

But then last night I went to the Irish (three day) Festival in Henderson, Nevada and one of the vendors was selling Slo Poke Suckers, I haven't seen one of those in a zillion years, they are a hunk of caramel on a stick and so good, and last a long time. I still have it in my frig. I also had cotton candy and a chicken roll, and it wasn't bad. Does anyone else remember things/tastes you don't see anymore?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#200938 - 03/15/10 02:43 AM Re: Tastes... [Re: chatty lady]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Coke Syrup (for upset tummies)...straight from the bottle

The smell of the shoemaker store on the corner. We'd wait for our shoes to get "heeled" or "soled". LOVE that smell!

Wooden, creaky hardware store floors

Marigolds...Mom had a zillion of them on our front lawn. And we would "harvest" the seeds for next year

Gardenias...Mom's fav flower

Chanel Number 5...Mom's fav perfume

(must be missing Mom lately.)

#201016 - 03/16/10 03:08 AM Re: Tastes... [Re: Di]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
That Irish Festival sounds like fun Chatty...I never had a slo poke sucker but we used to have All Day Jawbreakers that would really take me a week to finish and I kept it on a piece of wax paper way in the back of the fridge where my Father wouldn't find it..:) the roof of my mouth would be sore and swollen for days after I finished sucking it but the taste is unforgettable and incomparable in my mind.

Di, I remember collecting and saving the marigold seeds every year too...and my mother would dig the holes and let me sprinkle the seeds ...then we would go out and water them every day...those days began my lifelong passion for gardening...thanks for poking that happy memory for me...:)

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#201363 - 03/24/10 11:05 PM Re: Tastes... [Re: AvalonBlondi]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I love the smell of lilac bushes; they had lots of 'em back on
the farm when I was a kid. I remember jaw breakers; and taffy
at the county fair. Recently WB and I had corn dogs for the
first time. Loved 'em!

#201400 - 03/25/10 05:08 PM Re: Tastes... [Re: jabber]
MustangGal
Unregistered

My yard is begining to smell of tea olives -- absolutely love it!

#201407 - 03/25/10 06:55 PM Re: Tastes... [Re: ]
Mountain Ash Offline

Mustang
what are tea olives...might I know them by another name.
This is the time when I soe my seeds.Tomatoes are peeping through the seed trays..but very soon it my flower seeds and this for me is magic..
The packets await.the compost is ready... all is well

#201441 - 03/26/10 01:05 PM Re: Tastes... [Re: Mountain Ash]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
WB raises all our flowers, too. The seeds are planted and some
little green growth is peeking through the soil. Love to watch
'em grow.

I don't know what tea olives are either, Mustang. But I thought
maybe I should, so was afraid to say I didn't know. Do tell!

#201466 - 03/26/10 07:22 PM Re: Tastes... [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Not sure what tea olives are either...

I also love the smell of lilacs. Hoping to smell that scent by the kitchen window soon. We have a dwarf lilac bush right by the window and boy does it smell good. Unfortunately, it doesn't last very long.

How about sour apple Now/Laters? I think that's what they were called, and Sweet Tarts? How about candy buttons when you ate a bit of paper with every bite? Or candy lipstick?

#201468 - 03/27/10 12:05 AM Re: Tastes... [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Ladies if you type in:

www.teaolives.com

much is written about them there...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#201474 - 03/27/10 04:52 AM Re: Tastes... [Re: chatty lady]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Wow! Just reviewing your posts here is bringing back all sorts of memories. Isn't it amazing how strongly taste and smell are tied to our memories?

I'd never heard of tea olives, but I checked the link Chatty provided, and they sound like a lovely bush -- something I would enjoy in my garden... I'm going to have to check to see if they are hardy enough to grow in NW Illinois!

As for me, I love lilacs. We've generally had a lilac bush or two in the yard of every house I've lived in. This house doesn't have one, but the next door neighbor does, and his is a huge lilac tree that towers over our fence, so I can still get my springtime "fix" of lilac!

Years ago, I used to love to visit a park that had a lilac garden. They had rows and rows of lilacs, in every imaginable shade, from white to a purple so dark it was almost black.

I used to love to take the kids there in the spring... They'd frolic among the trees and I'd stroll around to try to figure out which color was my favorite. I never could make that decision...

As for great tastes of the past: How about A & W Root Beer floats? When I was a kid -- pre-McDonald's -- my mom would generally pack a meal whenever we went on a family trip, and we would stop at some wayside picnic table and eat our sandwiches. That was always sort of "ho hum" to me.

I much preferred the ever so rare occasions when we would pull into an A&W drive-in, talk through the mic to order our meal, and have it delivered on a tray that attached to our rolled down car window.

THAT was such a treat. And the best part was always the root beer floats. Though the term "black cow" hovers somewhere in my memory?

Does anyone remember exactly what the difference is between a Black Cow and a Root Beer Float? I'd sure love it if you could remind me...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved