The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#147237 - 04/27/08 04:46 PM When you got your social security card?
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Our entire eighth grade class got their's at once. A "class" project. Assignments included memorization of them the next day! We had two classmates whose numbers were one apart.

It's amazing to me that babies get them before they leave the hospital!

On another note, our original tab from our first cards specifically said "Not to be used for identification"....that we were only to give them out if we were going to get paid. So, I do not give mine out unless absolutely necessary.

#147238 - 04/27/08 04:50 PM Re: When you got your social security card? [Re: Di]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I think I was sixteen when mine was issued. Funny how mine starts with the first three digits that one of my daughter's starts with. Just thought that was odd... must be a connection - couldn't be random... huh?

#147239 - 04/27/08 04:54 PM Re: When you got your social security card? [Re: gims]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California

#147241 - 04/27/08 09:33 PM Re: When you got your social security card? [Re: ]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I always thought I had a fair memory of such times but I honestly don't remember when I first got a real social security card! It feels like I've always had it! It's funny how we got ours later when I remember my daughter having hers as a toddler!

#147242 - 04/27/08 11:03 PM Re: When you got your social security card? [Re: ladyjane]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Parents said get a job, so I got my SSN at 16! Got my first job making like $3 an hour! Three bucks won't even buy a Happy Meal today!

#147243 - 04/28/08 12:51 AM Re: When you got your social security card? [Re: ]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
My family had a business and I started working when I was 12-13. It was expected that I'd do something with them. So their accountant gave me my SS card.

#147244 - 04/28/08 01:33 AM Re: When you got your social security card? [Re: Princess Lenora]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
16 yrs. old. I got my first ever paid job at a coffee and doughnut shop...where I got fired after the lst week. I think the owners found me too nervous and serious. A coffee shop needs warm, comfy personalities.

#147245 - 04/28/08 09:50 AM Re: When you got your social security card? [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I used to work in old age homes for summer jobs. That's when I got my first social security card. I was pretty excited, but disapointed to see how much was left over after taxes.
I worked two entire summers to pay my father back for driving a friend's car off a bridge; and that without having a driver's liscence. I was a bad bad girl, (but geez, I had a heck of a lot of fun. )

#147246 - 04/28/08 10:16 AM Re: When you got your social security card? [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I must have been 17 as that was when I finished secondary school abroad and returned to the States.

#147247 - 04/28/08 11:33 AM Re: When you got your social security card? [Re: Lola]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Now that I think of it, I must have gotten my card at around age 15 because that was my first job. I worked at the Dairy Queen for about 6 months. Before that I was a hospital Candy Striper for two summers and I think that was what made me love caregiving so much. Edelweiss, I couldn't help but laugh about your mishap and having to pay off your father. I had a similar experience when I first got my license. I was stoned (yeah, I was) and failed to negotiate a curve at night. I kept right on going off the road, rolled down a hill and nicely landed upright on a pile of rocks....in my mother's car. You bet I paid for that one!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved