The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 190 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#66839 - 03/19/06 05:09 AM Easter Celebrations
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well believe it or not Easter is on the way, April 16th this year. I sometimes think I enjoyed Easter even better than Christmas or at least as much. We always had brand new shiny shoes and colorful dresses and hats, yep wore hats back then. When we awakened we would run around looking for the Easter baskets our parents hid for us. Then after Church we would come home and go out to look for the eggs and little toys our parents would hide for us in the garden and bushes. We would then play a bit and go to Grandparents #1, Dads parents, where we would eat home made dill pickles, leg of lamb and sweet potatoes and kraut. We always got a dollar before leaving. Then we would make the long drive across town to mothers parents where Grandma always put out a spread of honey baked ham, sweet Italian sausage, potato salad, bean salad, olives, pickles etc. and fresh baked rye bread. It was buffet style so everyone just nibbled away. Oh and Grandma always had dozens of colored eggs, with our names on one special egg then we played the game "strongest egg" we would click one egg against the other and when one cracked the winner would keep going until his/her egg was cracked, everyone had a turn. The strongest egg holder got a giant Easter bunny. I hated when that day would end....Now I make the potato salad and sausage and my son gets a huge ham and we party at his home.... So what was your easter like then and now?

#66840 - 03/19/06 09:32 AM Re: Easter Celebrations
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Chatty,
I can remember and have pictures of me in a new hat and a new dress and new white socks . We would hurry down to our baskets my brother and I . Oh. we would dye the eggs on Saturday ,but we did not hide . Oh, those jelly beans . After church pictures with friend in the neigborhood and who looked the best that day. Than the Sunday ham and sweet potatoes and and cake with coconut frosting and rolls to eat. Yummy!

Those black patten shoes and never white before Memorial Day .

When my daugher was little we would dye eggs and hide them then go to my mothers house for a ham dinner or we did do church then . This year just my husband and me we will not dye eggs , just go to church and out for bruch with my daughter and her husband . We don't have family in town.

Oh, what fun then . My granddog Yorkie found a plastic eastern egg the other day and not sure where she found it or how long it had been hidden

Renee

[ March 19, 2006, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Renee ]

#66841 - 03/19/06 09:40 AM Re: Easter Celebrations
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
I remember having new Easter clothes too! Especially the hats - I had a navy blue straw one I especially remember, with little pink rosebuds on it - and of course the patent shoes and white gloves. Wasn't that fun?

Didn't you guys have deviled eggs at Easter? That was always my favorite part. Aside from the ham, potatoes, rolls, Easter cake....

So Chatty, you had a German side and an Italian side????? Or were these dishes just what everyone liked?

#66842 - 03/21/06 05:55 AM Re: Easter Celebrations
Sandi Offline

Loc: Jupiter Florida
We didn't have much, but on Easter...we always had a new dress, yes! Patent leather shoes,
and of course the hat. Always a basket that we had to find, and of course the lamb. Did easter eggs the night prior, and today I still do baskets for my hubby, brother and son. My older guy is out of state. But, every year, my brother
(in his 60's) before easter, delivers his basket back to my house. It is his ORIGINAL basket from when he was a kid! Do I get a basket?
nah.........maybe this year I'll make myself one!
And for dinner, I like to put out tiny baskets at each plate. Easter was terrific!

#66843 - 03/21/06 06:16 AM Re: Easter Celebrations
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Awwwwwwh,

I'm sorry, Sandi. I'm glad you had your new shoes and hat at least. You should definitely make yourself a basket. We should all make ourselves an Easter Basket....We should celebrate ourselves...........

#66844 - 03/22/06 09:40 PM Re: Easter Celebrations
pepper Offline

Loc: Jupiter, Florida
Sandi
Thanks for the good memory of Easter...I too remember the baskets and the colored eggs and the new dresses and patent leather shoes...we used to be dressed alike...I don't get any Easter baskets anymore...but I did get your little 'Easter' gifts at the table each year...I don't remember lamb...I HATE lamb...I remember ham....
I really do miss your Easters but I can't be in 2 places at one time and I now have my grand daughter to think about and to watch grow...I know she will be too little this year but in time...
Karen C

#66845 - 03/22/06 10:48 PM Re: Easter Celebrations
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Easter...I would wake up Easter morning to a foil covered marshmallow Easter Egg. I kept the foil and loved the beauty of the shine, the picture of the bunny and the smell..Oooh that chocolate smell....For days I'd smell that foil wrapper.
I remember reading books this same way...becoming part of them, completely enveloped in the pictures, like I was really there. Everything so new, bright and shiny...
chick

#66846 - 03/23/06 12:31 AM Re: Easter Celebrations
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Searcher my father is of Lithuanian decent and my moms sided is Italian. Talk about different culturally, wow. But we had the best of both worlds food wise...

#66847 - 03/23/06 10:05 AM Re: Easter Celebrations
Sandi Offline

Loc: Jupiter Florida
Hey KarenC: why don't we plan an easter this year, w my new neice!!! and her mommy and daddy
and have it hear on the E. Coast/ We can even
have Ron and his mom! And we'll make each other baskets! Maybe we could dress alike, again!
woulnd't that be a hoot. I have lots of hats and a glue gun!

#66848 - 03/26/06 04:26 AM Re: Easter Celebrations
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I have been seeing more and more Easter Sunday clothing commercials on TV and low and behold the women and little girls are once again wearing hats. The little girls are wearing the smaller straw hats. The women however are all wearing those big round beautiful hats in such lovely bright colors and made from chiffon and such. It really brings back wonderful memories. I just may go shopping. Anyone else getting all gussied up for Easter Sunday?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved