The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 195 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#65868 - 11/11/05 09:09 PM Your Highschool prom?
ladybug Offline

I went to two proms in my junior year and one in senior year. Proms back then were really lavish and never held in a high school gym. We had them at country clubs with live bands. All the girls with long hair got our hair done professionally at the beauty shop in an up do called simply, "curls." After proms were usually a fancy breakfast buffet after which you finally went home to sleep. The next day was a trip to Cedar Point a very big, and nice amusement park (even bigger today) and an evening hay ride. Girls never wore revealing gowns and nobody had a hotel room to go to after the prom.

#65869 - 11/11/05 10:54 PM Re: Your Highschool prom?
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
I guess I'm older than you, beecause our prom was held in the school gym. Same elaborate updoes and fancy dresses, though. After the prom, anyone who was anybody went to see Andy WIlliams at a nearby nightclub, that was reserved for prom parties from all over southern MA. My date hadto mow many lawns that spring and summer to pay for that evening. It seems like a long time ago now.

It WAS a long time ago. Heck, my kids HS proms seem like a long time ago already. LOL

#65870 - 11/11/05 11:09 PM Re: Your Highschool prom?
ladybug Offline

Jackie, the proms I'm speaking of were in 1969 and 1970. I think that this might have been a Catholic school thing because I don't recall where public schools held their proms. I'm 54.

#65871 - 11/12/05 06:10 PM Re: Your Highschool prom?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
ladybug, I went to an all girl Catholic school and our proms were also held at country clubs, or venues other than school. I took my husband to both junior and senior proms. And no, he wan't my husband at the time, just my "steady" boyfriend. Remember that word? I don't think they use it any more.

Jackie, we had ring and Christmas dances in our cafeteria, and "mixers" in our gym. They would cover the gym floor with huge tarps so it wouldn't get ruined. That made it tough for dancing! People were forever tripping in the gaps.

#65872 - 11/12/05 07:53 PM Re: Your Highschool prom?
ladybug Offline

Dotsie, we had Christmas Ball in our gym and once had a mixer. My friend Peggy and I went to all the Cathedral Latin mixers. Cathedral Latin was an all-boys Catholic school. Girls from other Catholic schools also attended. We never missed going to one of those on a Friday night. When I first saw a few of the boys doing the "gator" I thought they must've been on something!

#65873 - 11/25/05 06:43 AM Re: Your Highschool prom?
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
My senior prom was in 1965. It was in a country club. I had the "curls/updo" and tiara. Also the white bunny fur and a hoop under my gown. We had a breakfast party the next morning at one girl's home and spent the day (NHJackie, you'll know this one) at Canobie Lake.

Louisa

#65874 - 11/26/05 01:05 AM Re: Your Highschool prom?
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
I sure do, Louisa. It's still there and still popular. One of the few small amusement parks that's managed to survive around here.

I forgot about the bunny fur. I had one of those, too. My daughter thought it was hilarious when she saw my prom pictures. But what do kids know? [Smile]

#65875 - 11/26/05 04:37 AM Re: Your Highschool prom?
ladybug Offline

I think I know what you mean by the bunny fur but in case I don't can you tell me what you are referring to?

#65876 - 11/26/05 04:39 AM Re: Your Highschool prom?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
We had ours in the school gym, all decorated. My town was small and we didn't even have a country club or large hotel!

I suppose some of the kids had the breakfast thing. My curfew was 11:00 and it didn't even change for prom. [Mad] My date was less than thrilled that we had to leave before the prom was even over.

#65877 - 11/26/05 11:03 AM Re: Your Highschool prom?
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
The young man that was to take me to my Senior Prom was drafted at the last minute.
My roommate asked her boyfriend to ask his friend to take me because I didn't want to miss my Senior Prom. (I didn't know she had done this)
Two days before the prom she told me that she got me a blind date.
I wasn't real happy about the idea, but decided to go.
I will now be married to my blind date for 41 years on the 28th of this month.
It's been a long tough road, but I'm still in the marriage.
Lynne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved