The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 213 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#64481 - 04/22/04 07:28 AM Small Town Revisited
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I wanted to get it while I could.

In reading my hometown paper today, it seems a group of concerned citizens are meeting to try and revitalize the downtown area. They have received 40K in grant monies (whoop-de-do) and they really believe they can do something with that money...I have my doubts here. Anyhoo... Here's the scene: beautiful old buildings, all abandoned with very old owners who refuse to take care of them, OR sell them, no parking meters on the streets (this is a plus), nothing but a library, a dinner theater (which is VERY active) and florist occupies the area. It breaks my heart to see this city die and would love to be a part of the effort to reclaim it. However, I think they need to focus on things that would attract families to shop in the area. Not just put plants along the streets (which was one suggestion for the 40k).

The town is part of a triangle-type area with two other towns bordering it. These are growing by leaps and bounds, while this one just dies a little each day. I wish they would offer tax incentives for the area, fix up some buildings, clean up the town, host some festivals, get on the map...etc..etc..

I thought I would post this in here and see if anyone has had experience in the area of revitalization???? If so, I would love to hear your ideas and suggestions. If you prefer to email me, that's okay to. You know...if the city would offer a good enough tax break, I'd quit my job, buy one of the old buildings, fix it up, have a biz downstairs, and live upstairs. Hmm...

#64482 - 04/22/04 04:02 AM Re: Small Town Revisited
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
JJ
Use the $40K as match money to get a foundation grant to restore the buildings and hold festivals, etc. to raise more money and bring folks in to shop.
Go to a public library or a local college or online for a Foundation Directory and read it. Submit grant applications to the most likely foundations.
Then if you get a foundation grant, use it as match money for a bigger federal grant. Usually you can match non-federal money two to one at least with federal dollars if you play it right. But you can almost never use federal money as match money so you'll have to use the foundation grant for that.
Here's a website for federal grants that might be helpful to everyone. http://www.cfda.gov/public/faprs.htm
If you can get the town designated as a historic site, there is low interest money to attract merchants.
Here's a site for a small town that has restored itself rather than remodeling and is a thriving small historic town now. Love going there.
http://www.guthrieok.com/
When you get your building and have turned it into a lucrative bed and breakfast, we'll all come for a meeting there. Good idea???
smile

#64483 - 04/22/04 04:28 AM Re: Small Town Revisited
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Yee gads woman! Every one of you? For the mother of all pj parties? Well just fine, but bring plenty of Oreo's...

Thanks for the tips. The mayor graduated with me, and is a friend so I will pass any info I get on to him. I think the town folk are leary of jumping in because it seems overwhelming. Also, the neighboring town was revitalized by a local billionaire and they did it up right, so they are intimidated as well. I say go for it! You never know what you can accomplish if you don't try.

#64484 - 04/22/04 05:21 AM Re: Small Town Revisited
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Actually the first thing, even before the grants is to do a long range plan. (I forgot that part). They need to determine what they want the town to be then use that to determine which grants contribute to achieving that. It will ultimately prevent a lot of infighting and ease tensions about getting grants somewhat. People seem to fear grants and anything to do with federal money, but I love it. Made millions off you poor unsuspecting taxpayers. Deep pockets.

Of course a long range plan can be a huge amount of work and sometimes difficult for the hometown folks, but in the long run it will be a huge advantage and will be required for almost every other area of grants or progress.

Maybe they need a consultant to do the plan for them with their input. It would probably take more than the $40k though unless I could help out somehow. I once did a similar thing for the Feds. and for several organizations.

I hate to think of them not using the $40k wisely to generate more. It will probably take millions to do the town up right and the govt. is one of the few places where millions are a drop in the bucket. I've gotten millions of their money so I know. Also many millions go unawarded every year simply because no one applies.

Keep us informed.

smile

#64485 - 04/26/04 03:59 PM Re: Small Town Revisited
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I've been thinking on this post and would love to have a simple soluution, but there isn't one.

It takes tremendous energy and driven people to make changes. Planning is critical.

One of the issues in our own concerning revitalization is how quickly the politicians change office. It seems lke we have tremendous momentum, the right hand knows what the left hand is doing, there's a plan, and then people change office and the new politicians have their own agenda.

I sound like a downer, but I'll give you some hope. having the same community membes involved and committed for years can be the backbone of the movement because they don't change office. [Big Grin] Just my 2 cents! I wish you luck.

Another thought is to get the plans from the surrounding towns. you don't always have to reinvent the wheel. That drives me crazy.

#64486 - 04/27/04 04:08 AM Re: Small Town Revisited
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Hi JawJaw - hope things are well with you and better for your family. I've been off forum for some days and out of the loop.

Re the $$ - what are the bordering towns doing to revitalize themselves? what's working? what isn't working? in what way are they special or different from your town?

using what you've got...

*bookstore - have mystery weekends, children weekend's, tie in with the dinner theatre,

*what about a farmer's market that includes crafts? do you have local artisans you could attract?

*matching mini-grants to businesses that are already there. a lot of people want to attract new people without remembering to say "thank you" to the folks who have supported them throughout the years.

*there's a big push on for heritage/culture tourism...how could you tap into that?

The first and best place to start is with a plan. What is it you have to sell? Why? To Whom? Where? How much? Most ventures die for 2 reasons...they are undercapitalized and they don't know their market. Don't sneeze at $40K. People have done a lot on less but it's because they have a good idea of what they are doing going into the project.

Best of success to you all!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved