The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209231 - 11/29/10 03:24 AM food memory- then & now
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Of kohl rabi, a vegetable. Learn more, if you don't know:

http://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/kohl-rabi-memories-and-redux/ smile

#209233 - 11/29/10 03:38 AM Re: food memory- then & now [Re: orchid]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Wow Orchid!

That is a blast from the past!

My father's mother, my paternal grandmother, was a great one for cooking veggies I'd never heard of elsewhere. She lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which I now know is a real melting pot of a community - according to my daughter who loves living there, one can attend a different culture fair there almost every weekend.

Anyway, Grandma Gertrude raised and cooked kohl rabi, and I have never had it anywhere else.

She also served other odd veggies, a few of which have come into more popularity, like rutabaga, cauliflower and a few odd squashes.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#209235 - 11/29/10 09:27 AM Re: food memory- then & now [Re: Anne Holmes]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I love kohlrabi ! Just peel and cube it, cook till soft, about 10 minutes, and serve with melted butter. yum yum.

#209244 - 11/29/10 03:15 PM Re: food memory- then & now [Re: Edelweiss2]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I never heard of kohl rabi. What does it taste like?

#209260 - 11/30/10 02:45 AM Re: food memory- then & now [Re: jabber]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Taste is quite mild, jabber. Have you ever had cooked white radish (or known as daikon)? To me, it tastes abit like that. Soft when cooked.

From someone in Norway, who decribed this:

"Kohl rabi is a traditional vegetable in Norway and I think the rest of Scandinavia, probably because it's one of the few things which will grow willingly up here. It's considered maybe a bit boring and "oldfashioned", but still a staple eaten throughout the country. I love fresh kohl rabi, good ones are sweet and crisp eaten raw, and it's a good veg to have in a stew, or sliced thinly and wok'ed. Aged ones get a bit rubbery though, and bitter sometimes. Mashed kohl rabi, like mashed potatoes, with butter and milk, is very good!"

For Norwegians and Germans: I've never heard of putting butter nor milk in kohl rabi.

#209262 - 11/30/10 03:13 AM Re: food memory- then & now [Re: orchid]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Well now I really understand why my Grandma Gertrude was so into cooking veggies like kohl rabi: My grandfather was born in Norway, and while she had been a Taylor before marrying, her family was of German and English heritage!

Thus it was a vegetable BOTH of them probably grew up with.

Now, my Norwegian step-mother likes to make a veggie during the holidays she calls "rootamoose." (Spelling is phonetic) It is made of mashed potatoes and mashed rutabagas. My Swedish-heritaged husband was served this as a child.

Anyone have any insight on this dish?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#209280 - 11/30/10 11:34 PM Re: food memory- then & now [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Rootamoose? Cool. My MIL maiden name was Taylor. Maybe she's related to ya!

Orchid,
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds interesting! I like many
raw veggies!

Edited by jabber (11/30/10 11:35 PM)

#209335 - 12/02/10 10:39 AM Re: food memory- then & now [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My ex was from Minnesota and he just lovvvvved Koli Rabi and Rootabage as he called it. Try as I did, never could cook it well, plus hated when I made it and I am a vege freak...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#209353 - 12/02/10 09:01 PM Re: food memory- then & now [Re: chatty lady]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
We love fresh Kohlrabi! We planted it in our garden for years. Nothing tasted better than pulling a fresh kohlrabi bulb from the garden, peel it and eat. Yum. I use to start kohlrabi by seed in small containers under grow lights. Then I would transplant the little plants to the garden. One year, I think I had nearly 100 plants.

#209356 - 12/03/10 12:14 AM Re: food memory- then & now [Re: Cookie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Cookiew, did ytou stop growing them and if yes, why? They sound good something you can grow, peel, wash and eat right in your garden.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved