The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 194 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#181157 - 04/29/09 09:57 PM Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans..
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Maybe this was more of a cultural peculariity where I grew up (in southern Ontario), but I do remember some kids had a rabbit's foot on a keychain. It was like some sort of fun, lucky charm thing. It was dyed in different colours.

Now looking back, it's just wierd. shocked

I never got into charm(s) for jewellery or got into charm bracelets period. Nor did I have necklace lock. I never had my own doll nor stuffed animal since we didn't have alot of toys when growing up. So toys had to be shared.

Did you have any item that you wore or dragged around like some sort of security blanket or lucky charm?

#181175 - 04/30/09 05:23 AM Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
A rosary. I've always had a rosary in my pocket since childhood. The only thing that has changed over the years is its size, colour, type and where it is made or bought. I carry a small one now and it's of grey pearl made for me by Meredith. It's not a charm but, a security blanket for my soul as it's a prayer reminder. I actually think of Meredith everytime I use, see or feel it in my pocket...followed by a litany of blessing for her and everyone here.

#181183 - 04/30/09 12:45 PM Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I usually ended up breaking any toy I had, so nothing was sacred around me. I did manage to save my Little Women's doll so that survived me. But no lucky charms or rabbit's feet.

I did have and DO have a charm bracelet. I love them.

#181192 - 04/30/09 03:00 PM Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Quote:
I actually think of Meredith everytime I use, see or feel it in my pocket...followed by a litany of blessing for her and everyone here.

Gosh Lola, that is really touching.
I carried a tiny little bear in my pocket where ever I went. My grandmother bought it for me in Berlin after we visited the zoo. I almost traded it off for a package of twinkies at lunch time, but decided love is stronger than lust. lol

#181195 - 04/30/09 03:24 PM Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. [Re: Edelweiss3]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
I wear a ring from my grandparents that is a combination of their engagement rings.. it´s square and has 2 diamonds in the middle..surrounded by very tiny diamonds..I think this type of ring is called something..but I don+t know what. My grandparents were very very dear to me during my troubled and problem filled childhood..and they represent a lifestyle that we had in the Czech Rep before we had to flee..when I was a baby..and they are the one´s that smuggled me over the border..way back when..after the 2nd WW. So this ring is a symbol of so many things..courage, love, beauty. culture, knowledge..and above all, it is my grandparents, who died many years ago now.

Then I have a very small statue of Our Lady in my wallet..given to me by someone who means VERY VERY MUCH to me..a pastor from Sudan. I am not much of a believer anymore..but this little statue goes with me everywhere,too.

#181293 - 05/02/09 11:07 AM Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. [Re: humlan]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I love the rosary story. It reminds me of Mom.

EW, I'm laughing at your story. How funny you are.

humlan, Did you design the ring? WHat a touching story. Now onder you wear it!

jj, silver or gold bracelet?

orchid, I guess Im'm with you on this. I can't say I have one particular object that I've always had or treasured. What's up with that?

#181318 - 05/02/09 01:50 PM Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I had a rabbit's foot when I was a kid. These days, I wear my
adoptive mom's baby ring on my pinky and my adoptive grandmother's diamond engagement ring on my ring finger, for luck.

#181330 - 05/02/09 08:21 PM Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. [Re: jabber]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Rabbit's foot- Jabber, at least I don't feel as if I grew up in a wierd, hillbilly warp. I even remember feeling the little tiny claw in the foot. Maybe it wasn't a real rabbit's foot, just a piece of plastic covered with fake fur.

But I thought about this and realized how ancient/primitive that strange childhood charm was.

I don't have anything for luck. But now I just realized I'm not 100% where I stored the childhood red stone ring that my parents gave to me from the penny store. It was garnet coloured..but fake. My birthstone is garnet. The ring was so big on my finger that my mother wrapped some red thread around it so I could wear it for a few wks. Then I got bored and stored it away. But I do take it out occasionally just to look at it.

#181339 - 05/03/09 06:50 AM Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Dots, did your Mom collect Holy/Prayer cards as well?

Humlan, I used to have one of those little wallets in my bags. It was only 2-inch and carried a statue of the Holy Infant of Prague and was a gift from my Dad. It also came with a short prayer. I must still have it somewhere. Probably in one of the boxes from the States which I still have to unpack.

#181343 - 05/03/09 01:08 PM Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Dots, both...

Orchid, I do remember feeling of a rabbit's foot that some friend had and it was yucky. It did feel real though and I kept thinking of some rabbit somewhere hopping on one foot. I hated it.

Garnet is my birthstone as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved