The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#169301 - 12/29/08 06:45 AM Remembering different things for same event
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Or not even remembering but other family remembers it well. Even though both of you were there at the same time, eperiencing it all.

It never ceases to amaze me what he remembers in trip memories vs. me. Right now, he is ploughing through tons of bike trip photos. He uses some of it for his reports since there are many examples of what different cities/regions have done to design bike facilities. I can't even remember some of the scenery where I am featured in the photos!

#169307 - 12/29/08 01:01 PM Re: Remembering different things for same event [Re: orchid]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I am like you, Orchid. I am more of a big picture type person, remembering the whole event, not the details.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#169315 - 12/29/08 02:02 PM Re: Remembering different things for same event [Re: Anno]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
It took me years to realize how "weird" my memories were. While most people remember details, I mostly remember how the event made me feel at the time. I never knew that that wasn't the norm until quite late in life. Now I try to include more details and other people's experiences in my processing of an event, but still, the overriding factor in any of my memories are the feelings experienced during the event. Hubby, on the other hand, remembers every minute detail, as in a photographic memory, and often uses that memory to create "right" and "wrong" scenarios for anyone who has different memories of the same event.

(Maya Angelou)

#169317 - 12/29/08 02:13 PM Re: Remembering different things for same event [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I was just talking about this with a childhood friend and a couple sisters at a party. We were talking about our childhoods and one friend and sister had vivid memories. I'm more of a big picture person too. I recalled what they were talking about, but couldn't remember everyone that was there, or specifics like what certain people said. However, when the recalled certain things, I could remember some of it, but never would have been able to come up with it on my own. This scares me. I hope there's no correlation with poor memories and Alzhiemer's.

#169318 - 12/29/08 02:31 PM Re: Remembering different things for same event [Re: Dotsie]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Add another vote for the "big picture" memories! I'm the same way with books I've read or events I've attended. My second husband was like Orchid's and he was extremely abusive about my inability to remember the details. Don't miss that one!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#169326 - 12/29/08 02:46 PM Re: Remembering different things for same event [Re: Mama Red]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Mama, my oldest son has an incredible memory and has little patience with me when I can't recall one of his friend's names that he just introduced me to five mintues before. He lives in the minute, takes everything in, and remembers everything. He's definitely a detail guy who can remember precisely what someone said years ago. Gosh, I wish I had that kind of mind. IT amazes me.

Here's a question - do you think we once did? Maybe the older we get, the more boggled down our brains become?

#169391 - 12/30/08 04:17 AM Re: Remembering different things for same event [Re: Dotsie]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Dotsie...ah, to have that skill! As for me, nope, I never did have "it"...I've processed information this way since I can remember! So I can't even blame it on age (unless I was old when I arrived, which is what my grandma used to say...I was a "little old woman"!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#169404 - 12/30/08 01:47 PM Re: Remembering different things for same event [Re: Mama Red]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Thinking about this a bit more, I remembered that in my early years, my eyesight was quite poor. I often wondered why I couldn't remember things the same way my brothers did...I'm sure it's in part because I simply couldn't see, so all of my memories are wrapped around the other senses.

(Maya Angelou)

#169405 - 12/30/08 01:49 PM Re: Remembering different things for same event [Re: Mama Red]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I was never good at remembering names. I used to be better remembering faces. Now when I run into someone downtown, I often think in hidden panic, is this a buyer or a seller! ( I'm a realestate agent, for those who don't know.) Anyway that's not too good for my job. So I have become a master in small talk, while my brain goes a mile a minute, trying to figure out from where do I know this person. I mean really, some of these people were at house showings years ago. No way would I remember them. And many of my customers I met only once.
Wierd, though, they all seem to remember me,...That could be good...or it could be bad. shocked smirk
All I know is, if I ever met you ladies,...I would NEVER EVER forget you. smile

#169443 - 12/30/08 05:19 PM Re: Remembering different things for same event [Re: Edelweiss3]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

EW, when I see people whose names I can't recall, I always extend my hand and say my name just in case they've forgotten me too. Then they usually say their name too. Hope this hleps.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved