The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 114 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#162085 - 10/08/08 01:14 AM How about Clackers?
JackieG Offline

Do you remember clackers? I think that's what they were called - in the late 60's early 70's - when I was in elementary school - we used to play with these brightly balls, about the size of small golf balls - it was string with two colored plastic balls attached to each end, and you would hold the string up and clack the two balls together - never really seemed to be much point to them - LOL - girls liked them because they had all these colors, pink, purple etc. all colors - then the authorities outlawed them because someone did too much clacking and they busted and the shards hurt someone -bye bye clackers - LOL

#162088 - 10/08/08 01:24 AM Re: How about Clackers? [Re: JackieG]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Jackie I do remember those. I almost knocked myself out with a set of those babies! LOL! Daddy made us get rid of them.

#162094 - 10/08/08 02:32 AM Re: How about Clackers? [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Yup, drove my parents nuts with those! Gave myself a few bruises too.

#162101 - 10/08/08 05:12 AM Re: How about Clackers? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Man, have you ever seen one of those plastic balls explode? I have. I never owned a set, but I played with them by way of friends. They weren't allowed at our schools.

#162132 - 10/08/08 11:54 AM Re: How about Clackers? [Re: gims]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Oh my gosh I had forgotten those things. I had such bruises and bumps on my wrists for the longest time. Then one day, one of the balls broke loose at the worst possible point of apogee and went flying.....hit Sr. James Marietta in the back of the head.....oh holy moly was I in deep dew!

#162152 - 10/08/08 05:05 PM Re: How about Clackers? [Re: Kathryn]
JackieG Offline

Oh, sorry you all got so banged up with them. I never witnessed anyone getting hurt or any busting or breaking, but now that I hear all this I'm glad they outlawed them... OY - LOL

#162175 - 10/08/08 08:51 PM Re: How about Clackers? [Re: JackieG]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Never experienced clackers but I think a toy just as bad and dangerous was that stupid little hard ball attached to a paddle by a long stretchy rubber cord. I saw at least three accidents from them in a day, one kid hit herself in the face shattering her glasses. Hit by that ball and you'd have a welt. They still make and sell them, wonder why?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#162203 - 10/09/08 01:49 AM Re: How about Clackers? [Re: chatty lady]
AmyDoodle Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Man oh man, I forgot about clackers. My group clacked during recess every day. If clacking were an Olympic sport, they'd have been playing the U.S. national anthem just for us.

But those paddle balls with the stretchy cord? Never. hit. it. once. Not. once.

#162210 - 10/09/08 03:55 AM Re: How about Clackers? [Re: AmyDoodle]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I certainly remember the clackers.

My parents forbade us to have them because of their dangers. Well..you gotta find ways of reducing worry..when there are 6 children playing on their own. I don't remember rebelling on this one..for whatever reason, the clackers didn't have much appeal to me.

#162224 - 10/09/08 11:39 AM Re: How about Clackers? [Re: orchid]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Gosh when I think about the things kids play with now, clackers seem pretty tame. Paint ball guns pack a wallop; video games that teach kids to drive and shoot by the time they are 8. As one of 6 my mother was always saying "use your imaginations, make your own toys, your own games, your own fun". I can remember making clothes for my paper dolls....anyone remember those? Recently, while going through a box of things that were moved to my house (as the only female sibling, I got alot of the junk boxes to sort thru) after mom's death. There in the very bottom of the box was a cardboard folder and inside were two paperdolls, a little boy and girl. I remember that I used to pretend that one was me and the other my "Irish twin" little brother. I really wanted to run downstairs, find some construction paper and start making little outfits for them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved