The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148077 - 05/08/08 09:59 PM Hand written letters etc.
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I sat down the other day to write notes inside some cards I was mailing and my hand didn't want to write in my usual legible penmanship. I have been sending cyber cards, no writing needed. So I decided to do it the old fashioned way and be more personal this time. I was upset to see my handwriting scraggly and stiff looking. I use to write three and four page letters to family and friends every week or so and now I barely write anything but checks.

Isn't it amazing how we change and evolve with these new fangled inventions. Got to love the computer age but somehow it has taken away some of the closeness, the effort it took to stay connected and share with those we love. Now we zip off an email or a text message with abbreviations, not even whole words. I find that both enlightening and SAD! What do you think?

Edited by chatty lady (05/08/08 10:03 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#148078 - 05/08/08 10:13 PM Re: Hand written letters etc. [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I agree. One of my goals for the new year was to keep in touch with those I love and to do so with handwritten notes.

I'm behind. EEEEK!

But I have to share that I too found my handwriting has gone to H in a handbasket since I've been keyboarding. Yep...sure has. It wasn't too good BEFORE. Now it is awful!

#148079 - 05/08/08 10:18 PM Re: Hand written letters etc. [Re: jawjaw]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Oh yeah...my formerly horrible penmanship is now horribly horrible! It's like my hand cannot do it anymore!

Yep......handwriting for me!!

#148080 - 05/10/08 03:21 PM Re: Hand written letters etc. [Re: Di]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
I still write notes to friends . I think with e-mail it has become a lost art of writing notes to friends . I love writing thank you notes . I too have problems with my hand in writing now arthritis they call it . I just write a little slower .

Their are so many love note cards out their . I found a lot at the museum the other day like " Monet" .

Just sharing ,

Renee

#148082 - 05/10/08 10:28 PM Re: Hand written letters etc. [Re: ]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Isn't it interesting how we all "jumped in" (me included) with this wonderful invention of "email" only to get tired of it with a desire to go BACK to the way things were.

It all evolves....just like hip huggers and bell bottoms!! LOL!!

#148083 - 05/11/08 06:01 AM Re: Hand written letters etc. [Re: Di]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
chatty, I just spoke of how horrible my penmanship has become (in another thread). I've let it get that way, because I don't need it to identify who I am... we were pressed to write neatly throughout school, and my family was known for both cursive and print excellence (not bragging... but, I can't believe I took claim to that).
My brothers are both left handed and you can't tell their handwriting from some fancy computer font, esp. my oldest. He draws schematics for electronics and the labeling is superb. My younger, draws plans for construction and his labeling is awesome, too. Even though mine wasn't to that caliber, it was quite good (and still can be, if I make the effort).

The biggest problem I have is, when I handwrite, I try to make it perfect. With the computer, it can be made that way... no sweat. As for being on the receiving end, I like nicely printed letters, which are much better than trying to read someone handwriting when it's not readable.

#148084 - 05/11/08 01:56 PM Re: Hand written letters etc. [Re: gims]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
My penmanship is so bad I can't even read it myself.
I'll write a grocery list. Then I'll wonder what the heck some of the items are that I actually need. It never was good. Now it's beyond awful. My adoptive mom had such beautiful handwriting. I miss her and her notes.

#148085 - 05/11/08 07:17 PM Re: Hand written letters etc. [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I still love buying cards and writing notes.

I am nuts about saving them too. In our attic, I have a box of all the cards and letters Ross and I wrote to one another the first couple years we dated. One of these days I'm going to get it out and dig in. I think it would be great fun to see how we've evolved and changed through the years.

Do you keep cards and letters from loved ones?

I went to Catholic school and penmanship was huge. We had to write perfectly. As a result, I can get cards from my sisters and Catholic school girlfriends and not know who they're from because we all write the same way. Mine is the sloppiest!

#148086 - 05/11/08 07:28 PM Re: Hand written letters etc. [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

He draws schematics for electronics and the labeling is superb. My younger, draws plans for construction and his labeling is awesome, too. Even though mine wasn't to that caliber, it was quite good (and still can be, if I make the effort).

The biggest problem I have is, when I handwrite, I try to make it perfect. With the computer, it can be made that way... no sweat. As for being on the receiving end, I like nicely printed letters, which are much better than trying to read someone handwriting when it's not readable.

Certainly engineers and engineering technologists, trained "traditionally" not just Autocad drafting software, that sort of penmanship and labelling is beautiful for drafting purposes. Some university engineering faculties used to demand this out their civil engineerings grads. My partner remembers this.

Now it's not quite true anymore, since my department handles all the engineering technical drawings and documents. At best, you'll get a beautiful handwritten mathematical long forumulae written out...because it's probably faster instead of keying it in, given the use of some symbols.

But I think his writing was always horrible.

My handwriting started to deterioriate in my senior year at high school. I did my 4 year university degree in English list....and I HANDWROTE some of my essays.

For some of the essay exams, I did get professors bloodying my papers with red penmarks because they ...couldn't read some of my handwriting. Most likely it probably lowered my mark abit...well I actually had one prof. who told me it did.

Funny, buttress this against what I can do with paint-steel nib-from-inkpot Western calligraphy on fine paper..medieval and gothic style scripts with all those fancy feet (that's what calligrapahers all the tiny strokes, finishes at ends of "h", "n", etc.) And I can do whole pieces with a perfect 33degree angle as required without a liner underneath. It's in the rhythm, touch of pen on surface that can become mesmerizing...one can fall into a temporary MUSE trance..and end up calligraphing words with spelling errors!

#148087 - 05/12/08 04:19 AM Re: Hand written letters etc. [Re: orchid]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
orchid, calligraphy, in itself, is an art... and to get it on paper without a line aid underneath, that's remarkable. I'm impressed. I did the National Anthem on a heavy textured onion skin, once, and it was a laborious task. I didn't used an aid, either... all done by eyeballing... quite hard for me... didn't enjoy at all.
I attempted calligraphy again when I addressed the invitations for our oldest daughter's wedding. UHG, never again, I tell you.
At least now, you can have it done... not that I have anyone else to marry off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved