The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 91 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#145179 - 03/21/08 11:20 PM Easter baskets as a child
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Did you get an Easter basket when you were a kid? What were your favorites?

Even though I didn't eat them, I liked the eggs that you peeked in and there was a little scene. Do you remember them?

I also loved the Peeps. Way back when, all they had were yellow chicks. Now they have assorted pastels and even for different holidays.

#145180 - 03/21/08 11:42 PM Re: Easter baskets as a child
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
All five of us had baskets, new little starch dresses, and those hats that look like a band leader from the musical 76 Thrombones...LOL

#145181 - 03/21/08 11:51 PM Re: Easter baskets as a child [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Ooooh, I remember the Easter hats. Mom was a hat person, always wore a hat to church on Sundays, from the time she was a little girl right up until she died. She looked so good in them, too. I didn't inherit that from her, maybe because I wore glasses and had a big head - poor Mom just couldn't find hats to fit me, and the thick coke-bottle glasses always got in the way of whatever look she was trying to achieve...

But I do remember how beautiful those hats were. AND the Easter baskets were glorious...full of wonderful chocolate goodies! We used to call Mom the living incarnation of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

Edited by Eagle Heart (03/21/08 11:51 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#145182 - 03/22/08 12:57 AM Re: Easter baskets as a child [Re: Eagle Heart]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I remember Easter baskets, and the chocolate Easter eggs filled with goodies, and the chocolate Easter bunnies, and the Cadbury's eggs with filling (that I see still in the stores around now, and I pig out on them as they're not available the rest of the year!!) I loved Easter for the chocolate!!!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#145183 - 03/22/08 01:28 AM Re: Easter baskets as a child [Re: yonuh]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
We had something chocolately Easter every year. But always shared amongst other siblings. I don't remember candy eggs as part of the deal much. More like chocolate bunny memories.

#145184 - 03/22/08 01:33 AM Re: Easter baskets as a child [Re: orchid]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Each Easter morning, I could not WAIT to run upstairs to the kitchen and see what Mr. Bunny brought us. In fact, the child still in me still "looks" for a basket on the table...but the Easter Bunny forgets me each year.

We'd always get large chocolate hollow bunnies...and sometimes solid ones...a REAL treat!! Does anyone remember the Chocolate Easter Bunny song??

~~~~
I got a brand new Easter outfit, a coat and hat and all the rest.
But there’s one thing more at the candy store that I really loved the best.

I got a chocolate rabbit, for an Easter treat
A great big chocolate rabbit, big enough to eat.
So I ate his ears on Sunday,
His nose I finished Monday
And Tuuuuesday I nibbled on his feet.

On Wednesday (cannot remember the rest of this sentence)
Thursday I kept on
By Friday he was going
Saturday he was gone.

Oh I loved that Chocolate Rabbit from the moment that he came
And if I get another one I’ll love him just the same!
~~~~

Later on as adults, we got clothes etc. Now, we do nothing.

Edited by Di (03/22/08 01:43 AM)

#145185 - 03/22/08 02:11 AM Re: Easter baskets as a child [Re: Di]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Easter morning meant an easter egg hunt. Mamaw always worked through the night to finish our Easter dresses. She always made them for us. When we were around 5 or so I remember wearing soft white gloves with buttons and socks with lace and the Red Goose shoes...patent leather. And yes, the hats. Very cool.
We had eggs we helped decorate and it was a race to see who could find the most. We had lots of chocolate bunnies and other candies...we'd dump everything out on the floor and put the green grass on the floor and arrange the rabbits and eggs until they were all eaten. I sent off care packages to my grown sons filled with Chocolate Easter Bunnies...they're in their 30's...can't help myself. They love it.
This Easter will be quiet...hopefully, doing some gardening...today was so beautiful here. The azales are blooming and spring is popping out all over...it's a wonderful time to be alive. Happy Easter everyone!!!!

#145186 - 03/22/08 01:21 PM Re: Easter baskets as a child [Re: Dee]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I remember the eggs with the scene inside. I used to love those too. My grandmother made these big things that were like a cookie. they looked like an Easter basket. She wrapped the dough around a bightly colored hard boiled egg. I think there was some kind of frosting and sprinkles on it too. I loved them. I ate the cookie, not the egg.

#145187 - 03/22/08 03:01 PM Re: Easter baskets as a child [Re: Louisa]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
We never got the diorama eggs. I don't think I ever even touched one. That's what the rich kids got from the Easter bunny.
Mother would stay up and color boiled eggs at night and that would make up the main content of our baskets. With the eggs we'd get some chocolate, jelly beans and sometimes a little toy.
I think we had a couple of home Easter egg hunts, but it was usually the older of us eight hiding for the younger.
Church was the big event, so baskets and hunts were secondary.
Mother did make our dresses when we were young... later we sometimes got store bought.
We didn't have Easter meals either. I didn't even know families did that, until way into my older years.

Now, for my girls, we went all out... white gloves, bonnets/hats, new dresses, new shoes, ruffly socks, hidden eggs and full baskets (after church).

#145188 - 03/22/08 08:43 PM Re: Easter baskets as a child [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I actually associate boiled eggs with dyed shell...subliminally for newborn babies. My parents gave out pink dyed boiled eggs to friends each time their child reached 1 month old. It's an old Chinese tradition.

practiced in Canada then and now sometimes. Most recently my sister, so-hip Canadian-born, gave out pink dyed eggs in celebration of their new daughter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved