The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 119 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#98338 - 12/07/06 05:55 AM Fruit Cakes...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
It seems either you love them or you hate them. Which is it in your case? I like a really well made one that has plenty of nuts and fruits....Best I ever had was from The Washington Times newspaper in D.C. when I worked there. They were homemade by someone and oh my they were wonderful. Haven't found one as good yet. How do you feel about fruitcakes?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#98339 - 12/07/06 06:40 AM Re: Fruit Cakes... [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
You won't believe this, Chatty but, when I moved to London from NYC, most cakes I found sold at the shops here were fruitcakes! Even those at weddings. Sponge with jam have been a recent trend. When we were in the States I used to order dozens of these to give away for Christmas as it seems to be the only season my friends eat them. I ordered them from a lady in Manhattan who sold them home and they were fruity, nutty, so very moist. I remember getting very heady on them after a slice. I could not carry on the tradition here as they're easily had all year 'round. The British have their version of Christmas cake. They pour brandy sauce on lit and is it up before serving. Very festive. The traditional ones put a coin in the base of the pudding to be found.

#98340 - 12/07/06 11:42 AM Re: Fruit Cakes... [Re: Lola]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Hubby and I are avid fruitcake eaters. We have a friend in Nova Scotia who makes the most incredible fruitcakes and sends us 4 loaves (2 large and 2 small) every Christmas. We NEVER share her fruitcakes - we go out and buy cheaper ones to share with company. Doesn't that sound terrible? But our friend puts so much work, expense and love into making them for us - they're chock full of nuts and fruit - that we feel honour-bound to keep them for ourselves.

We made the mistake of sharing one of her large (2lb) loaves one Christmas - the entire loaf was eaten at that one meal (my step-daughter can eat a whole 1lb loaf on her own in one or two evenings!) We were devastated, because we look forward to those fruitcakes all year long and then savour every morsel and bite. We only had a few bites of that one! And that was when our friend was only sending us two loaves.

So that's why our friend sends us 4 now, and that's why we don't share any of it anymore.

(Maya Angelou)

#98341 - 12/07/06 02:17 PM Re: Fruit Cakes... [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I LOVE fruit cake cookies, but can't stand the fruit cakes themselves.

Have you ever heard of the Fruit Cake Lady? She is hilarious! An old, I'd said in her 80's or 90's woman who answers questions people on the street ask her. She is soooooooooooooo funny. Naughty...but funny!

#98342 - 12/07/06 04:53 PM Re: Fruit Cakes... [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I LOVE fruitcake, in all it's heavy, fattening glory. Yum!

Yes, JJ, I've seen the fruitcake lady. She is a crackup!!

#98343 - 12/08/06 09:37 AM Re: Fruit Cakes... [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I want a good one this year but don't know where to start looking and theres no way I'm making one, too much work, bah, humbug!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#98344 - 12/08/06 02:42 PM Re: Fruit Cakes... [Re: chatty lady]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I've been researching them for two people who asked for fruit cake on their Christmas lists. Apparently the Trappist Monastery fruitcakes are the "best" according to my Google searching. They have them on sale on eBay for an excellent price, but for me the shipping costs to Canada was what put it out of my price range. I don't have the link, and am on the run (taking my brother Christmas shopping today...hooray for mall wheelchairs!), but if you Google "Trappist Monastery fruitcake" you should be able to find something.

(Maya Angelou)

#98345 - 12/08/06 07:40 PM Re: Fruit Cakes... [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I am so happy to hear you are taking your brother shopping. That's wonderful. I hope you have a terrific outing together.

I recall one of my last outings with Mom. Dad and I took her to the big mall in town, plunked her in her wheelchair and strolled her to Bath and Body Works so she could buy lotions for others. She looked so cute. It was winter and she had on a black, wool hat I had given her when she started losing hair. She looked so good in it. It's a shame she didn't wear hats sooner because they looked great on her.

One of my friends that I went shopping iwth yesterday makes the best mini fruit cakes. She gave me a tin yesterday and I've only eaten one so far. I wish you lived closer. I'd wither give you some, or have her make you your own batch.

#98347 - 12/09/06 01:26 PM Re: Fruit Cakes... [Re: ]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
One of my favorite fruitcakes is a no-bake version. As I recall it had crushed vanilla waffers, coconut and sweetened condensed milk as the base then all the fruit. It was kept refrigerated. We always left out the citron because we didn't like it.

#98348 - 12/09/06 02:37 PM Re: Fruit Cakes... [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
If you want to see the Fruitcake Lady in action, well here's a link:

http://video.nbc.com/player.html?dlid=43046

Here's another where she doles out advice but, be forewarned! She gave racy advice even in her 90's!

http://www.dorks.com/html/Ask-the-Fruitcake-Lady.html

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved