The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#87337 - 09/04/06 06:48 PM Knee socks
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I wear them a lot around here. We do the farmer's market in the winter as well. LOVE my knee socks!

Back then, if the top elastic was stretched out, we used rubber bands to hold them up. TEll me no one else did that!!

#87338 - 09/04/06 07:37 PM Re: Knee socks [Re: Di]
Mountain Ash Offline

I had hand knitted top socks.The next year Granny refooted them.There was shade difference and I hated that.This went on each winter until I was twelve.I vowed that if I had a daughter she would NOT have these to wear.
The garters were made of one inch elastic to fit my calf..I hung them up each night on a tap for the boiler..Everything in my birth home had its place like a well run machine.
I do however have long socks I wear under trousers in winter and no.....I have no garters.
Mountain Ash

#87339 - 09/04/06 07:43 PM Re: Knee socks [Re: Mountain Ash]
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Mountain Ash....did you grow up in the UK? Do you mind spilling the beans and telling me what era you grew up in?

#87340 - 09/04/06 08:42 PM Re: Knee socks [Re: flossie]
Pam R. Offline

Yep Di...I wore those knee socks especially with my Catholic School uniform (navy blue). And, when they stretched out we all used rubber bands to hold them up. When I think of it now, I never remember worrying about stopping our circulation but I bet it hurt!!!!

#87341 - 09/04/06 10:38 PM Re: Knee socks [Re: Pam R.]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I wore navy knee socks to school and still as an adult under slacks or jeans, in the Midwest where the winters were so cold they about froze us to death. Here in Vegas when the nights get chilly, even now I wear knee socks, and a cotton sleep shirt (long t-shirt) around the house.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#87342 - 09/04/06 10:58 PM Re: Knee socks [Re: chatty lady]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Di,

We wore knee socks here in Alabama as well. And we used the occassional rubber band when the elastic stretched. I don't own any now except for one pair of purple and yellow striped ones left over from my college days. They're full of holes so I don't wear them...just couldn't get rid of them, either.

#87343 - 09/05/06 02:54 PM Re: Knee socks [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
If the elastic was worn, we'd roll them down and really get on the nuns nerves.

I wore those navy blue babies for 13 years. I do recall a year when white knee highs were permitted.

Do you remember wearing the white, wool, really thick, low socks? They were real popular for a few years too. Who made them? Can anyone recall? I bet my older sister would. Was it Adlers? Hmmm....

#87344 - 09/05/06 11:08 PM Re: Knee socks
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Don't remember the thick, white wool socks, but knee socks for sure! Rubber bands, too, and after you took those socks and rubber bands off, I would itch my skin for what seemed like hours! Thank God for collegen in our skin or I would still have those deep, red indents just under my knees.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#87345 - 09/06/06 10:47 AM Re: Knee socks [Re: Anno]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

I wore knee socks all through grade school, and even in early high school they were still popular with the plaid pleated kilts. However, by the time I finished high school, they'd been mostly replaced with tights and pantyhose. Good thing, too, because the skirts got shorter and shorter and shorter....

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved