The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67023 - 05/29/06 05:54 PM parades
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
These holiday weekends remind me of parades from when I was a kid. Every time I went to a parade I came home wanting to be a majorette. Anyone else?

[ May 29, 2006, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#67024 - 05/29/06 06:31 PM Re: parades
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Oh, and how! When I was very young, I desperately wanted to be a majorette, with the white boots and a sparkly tiara! But most of all, I DESPERATELY (prayed every night) wanted to learn how to twirl a baton. I also yearned to tap dance. I never did learn either one - but Mom and Dad did give me piano lessons for many years, and that's a lovely gift that's lasted a lifetime and one that I cherish to this day (though I still would like to know how to twirl a baton!)

#67025 - 05/29/06 08:07 PM Re: parades
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Okay girls, now don't be jealous.... but I was a majorette in Junior High School - 8th grade!

(Only be cause I couldn't make the cheerleading squad - just not popular enough)

But it was a blast and I used to be pretty good at it - can't remember the last time I twirled a baton. Do you think it's like riding a bike, or would I bop myself in the head?

#67026 - 05/30/06 05:12 AM Re: parades
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
That sound you hear is BLOOPP, is the baton smacking you in the head....I was a cheer leader 2 years in high school and it was fun but I couldn't learn how to twirl a baton...all thumbs!

[ May 31, 2006, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#67027 - 05/30/06 06:33 AM Re: parades
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Oh, I taught myself to twirl a baton and wanted to march in the parade , but did not get the chance to do march in the parades , but did learn to tap dance and was a ballet dance for years . Not with the New York City Ballet as I had hoped . Wanted to dance on Broadway , but did not get that chance either . Lost the nerve . Ha!

#67028 - 05/30/06 06:16 PM Re: parades
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Renee, it's never too late!

I was never a majorette but I did get a baton for Christmas one year. I taught myself how to twirl and got pretty good at it with my sisters.

I can't believe we have a majorette and cheerleader all in one little forum!

Kathy, I think it would all come back to you. I really do. Just like riding a bike. You should give it a try. Your kids would get a kcik out of it.

[ May 30, 2006, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#67029 - 05/30/06 06:35 PM Re: parades
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Oh, yeah, they'd love it when I bonked myself on the head! Anyone have a baton? Maybe I could start a new group: Baby Boomer Baton Babes!

#67030 - 05/31/06 07:04 AM Re: parades
Pam R. Offline

What memories! I was the Captain of the Twirling Squad in my High School ( a very long time ago!) I marched in many parades and laugh out loud when I look at old pictures. I too tried out for the Cheerleading Squad but didn't make it. There was always such rivalry between the two squads in our high school. Then lo and behold, one of my daughters became a cheerleader in her high school. So, we still tease each other as to who are more talented. (I think the twirlers are!)

#67031 - 05/31/06 02:08 PM Re: parades
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Pam, have you ever twirled for your kids?

Our school didn't have a twirling squad. I feel deprived. I guess it wasn't that big in MD because all majorettes belonged to private squads.

Every now and then, we went to the March of Champions that was held at our stadium in the city. Marching bands from the east coast competed. It was huge and most entertaining. It was after that competition that I most wanted to be a majorette.

Did either of you compete in that?

#67032 - 05/31/06 06:33 PM Re: parades
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Nope, never did that. I was only a majorette for one year - in 8th grade. In high school, I marched with the band (clarinet) for one year, then switched to swim team for the remaining years.

I'm probably not as good as Pam... She was the Captain!! We only had about four girls, so that's probably not enough to count as a squad.

Hey Dotsie, if we ever have a Baby Boomer Women weekend, we could bring things like batons and other items from our youth, and then die laughing as we all try to do what we did way back then...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved