The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 128 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#64563 - 06/20/04 05:08 AM More about older people
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Chatty's post about the paint by number kits inspired me to post about the songwriting workshop that I led today.
It was for a writing group ranging in age from twenties to nineties. A lady in her nineties had written some hymn lyrics and as a result of the workshop, she stood up before the group and for the first time sang the words. When we applauded, her smile lit up the whole room.
She came to me later and told me she was so proud. Someone said her husband of 72 years died recently.
A man in his eighties wrote a love poem to his wife of 52 years who died a year ago. He couldn't sing it and asked that I sing it for him. I'm no singer, but I can make up melodies so I made one up on the spot and sang his poem to the group. He got tears in his eyes and later told me how much hearing the melody in the words meant to him.
Ten or fifteen people sang songs they made up in the workshop and we all sang along if we could pickup the melody. It was such a joyous time and the older people as well as the darling young rapper types made it worth the effort.
Just sharing.
smile

[ June 19, 2004, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#64564 - 06/20/04 09:02 PM Re: More about older people
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
smile, you are indeed a blessing to those around you. God bless you woman for bringing so much joy to other people's lives. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'm sorry I saw your request for prayer too late. I'm gald it went well though. I'm not surprised. I picture you as the type to be over-prepared with a pleasant attitude. How can you go wrong. I imagine people are very receptive to you.

I'm smiling about how you brought joy to the elderly and the teens, two groups of people who need all the joy they can get.

I can't sing and I don't write songs, but if you lived closer I'd sign up for your class just to watch you interact with everyone.

May you continue to feel joyful aobut your class/presentation.

Tell us how this came about.

#64565 - 06/21/04 02:33 AM Re: More about older people
smilinize Offline

The speaking thing came about because I've been making up songs since I was a kid and I have written a lot of musicals, some produced around here so I guess people just know how I love it.

I was so glad to get to share something that brings me so much joy. As is always the case, the older people and teens blessed me much more than I blessed them.
I guess I'm an entertainer at heart and if I can make someone smile it always makes me happy.

And Dotsie, as to your singing, I can't sing either. But I can make up songs and I'll tell you what I told the group. ""If anyone tells you you can't write a song, ignore them. If that person is you, ignore yourself also." Anyone can write a song. I promise!!!
I understand your not praying. There seems to be so many people who need prayer so much more.

Thanks for the nice words.
smile

#64566 - 06/21/04 02:45 PM Re: More about older people
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Smile,

That was so sweet what you did. That man will always remember the song and gave him comfort when he needed it.

Kindness is such a wonderful thing; and it's free and gives such blessings!

Thank you for sharing this with us 'boomers.'

#64567 - 06/21/04 08:09 PM Re: More about older people
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Smile,
So happy your workshop went so well but then you are such a positive presence.
The idea of teens and elderly working together is wonderful.
Keep up the great work.
Maggie

#64568 - 06/21/04 10:47 PM Re: More about older people
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
now you all know why we call her Smiles....

ain't she somepin?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

#64569 - 06/22/04 12:15 AM Re: More about older people
smilinize Offline

Thanks for all the nice words girls. I was once blessed by the people who participated and again by all of you.
smile

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved