The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 233 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#218191 - 11/25/12 01:40 AM Christmas Decorations
Sandy N. Offline

Loc: Washington State
With the Christmas holidays coming up, some of you might enjoy a recent post on the Boomers & Books blog. It has to do with getting rid of some Christmas decorations.
Link: Cutting Back on Christmas Decorations

#218194 - 11/25/12 08:56 PM Re: Christmas Decorations [Re: Sandy N.]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
After both my parents died (1999 and 2001) and then youngest brother died (2007 - he was only 42 and still a little kid when it came to Christmas), I lost my Christmas spirit altogether. I can't honestly say that it's come back 100%, there will always be a big hole in our Christmas celebrations now, but at least we manage to pull ourselves together enough to put up some decorations and enjoy a lovely, albeit very quiet Christmas. It'll never be the same, but we have to move on, right?

But I had to find ways to cope, and one was to clean out a lot of the accumulation of Christmas decorations. We traded in our full-size tree for a smaller table-top version with built-in lights (so much easier!!), and hubby built a special, custom-designed "Christmas corner" table to fit into the only available corner in the living room...we put the small tree in the back of the table, and a nativity scene at the front of the tree. With a few favourite ornaments on the tree and knick-knacks placed around the house, it's quick, easy and yet still leaves us feeling like we're surrounded by the light and love of Christmas.

It was a move made out of grief and inability to build the elaborate Christmases of those former family days, but it turned out to be a good move for us. It's much easier to put up, and not as "cluttery". For us, simple has been better.

(Maya Angelou)

#218241 - 12/06/12 12:59 PM Re: Christmas Decorations [Re: Eagle Heart]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Christmas not quite the same without a sister (of several).

What is becoming a tradition for me, is my Christmas blog post. This year's with some photos:

http://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/christmas-haiku-meditations/

My best wishes for a special Christmas and holidays!

#218243 - 12/06/12 05:13 PM Re: Christmas Decorations [Re: orchid]
Ellemm Offline

I have definitely cut back on the decorations over the years and wonder now why I had all the stuff years ago. My outdoor decorations consist of a wreath with lights. I actually hang it on one of our house numbers and am done.

My tree is slimmer and decorations all go in one box.

I have a snow village that actually consists of candle houses -- they're very nice! -- and all sorts of deer, ducks, random trees, etc.

And then I'm done. I donated a lot of stuff awhile ago and am so glad I did it.

Orchid: beautiful pics!

#218244 - 12/06/12 07:33 PM Re: Christmas Decorations [Re: Ellemm]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Orchid, thanks for sharing you holiday blog post. The photos and the haiku you created for each are stunning. And it took me until my third look through it all that I saw the lovely and quiet "snow" you have falling over the entire site! So cool - how did you do that?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218245 - 12/06/12 07:39 PM Re: Christmas Decorations [Re: Anne Holmes]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Sandy N, Eagleheart and Ellemm, thanks for your thoughts on "right sizing" our holiday decorations. I've done the same, and given as lot of my decorations to my kids, so that the precious family heirlooms stay in the family. Have to confess, it feels good!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218251 - 12/07/12 01:59 AM Re: Christmas Decorations [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Anne Holmes
Orchid, thanks for sharing you holiday blog post. The photos and the haiku you created for each are stunning. And it took me until my third look through it all that I saw the lovely and quiet "snow" you have falling over the entire site! So cool - how did you do that?

There's a feature in Wordpress.com that allows a blogger to switch on the falling snow until Jan. 1st. smile

Christmas inspires me to capture moments when blogging.

I only have a big Santa Claus that I got last year from work-related Christmas myserious gift exchange. My tabletop Christmas tree with mini decorations I've collected frfom trips are in another city.

Edited by orchid (12/07/12 02:00 AM)

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved