The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 82 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#196081 - 12/17/09 03:43 PM Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I've noticed lately that when I say "Merry Christmas" to a store clerk, they smile and say "Merry Christmas" back. One young clerk thanked me for saying Merry Christmas to her. I think most folks in stores want to say Merry Christmas but are afraid to because of what they've been told by store management about offending those who will complain if Christmas is uttered.

Anyone else notice this?

#196120 - 12/18/09 12:57 AM Re: Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays [Re: ]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
It's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. We send out an appeal for funds right after Thanksgiving, and we get nasty letters back saying they should be Christmas Greetings not Holiday Greetings; when we send out Christmas Greetings we get nasty letters about including non-Christians. There are people who don't celebrate Christmas - maybe it's Hannukah, or Kwanza, or Solstice, or whatever. I have no quarrel with any of them. I do have a quarrel with having any religion pushed on me.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#196130 - 12/18/09 11:58 AM Re: Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays [Re: yonuh]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
There is always going to be some brain dead moron ready to spoil whatever holiday it is with their selfishness. Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanza, Solstice who cares; it is the season to be jolly and if thats too difficult for the party poopers around then they need to go home, shut their doors and shut the hell up already... Let those who want to celebrate whatever they want to celebrate do so. Personally I never allow religion to creep in at this time of year. I know what I believe and have no problem with what anyone else believes.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#196133 - 12/18/09 02:56 PM Re: Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays [Re: chatty lady]
Ellemm Offline

I guess that's the bracing kind of cheerful, Chatty.....

Seriously, what does it mean to people in terms of importance when someone in a store says Merry Christmas? I enjoy Christmas and celebrate it, but feel that some aspects of it are almost embarrassing. I have no idea why we expect store clerks to say Merry Christmas to us. It's certainly nice, but Thank You, Have a Nice Day, and Happy Holidays are nice, too -- also 'we have that in the size you want.' They don't know us and have no idea why we're there except to buy stuff.

Besides, you know, Happy Holidays is from Happy Holy Days -- traditionally said to include Thanksgiviing, Christmas and New Year's (and whatever else people might be celebrating). There are Christians who observe Christmas until January 6 (Twelfth Night); are the clerks supposed to guess that as well? Some people observe St. Nicholas Day (Dec 6). Are we going to get ticked if they can't figure that out as well?

And these are the poor folks who have been listening to Christmas music since mid-October and explaining to crazy shoppers that they're out of that idiot hamster, or whatever is hot this year. I think they should get medals for not going bananas. Frankly, I think we should give something to them.

Dee, I think your practice of saying Merry Christmas first is the right thing to do. That lets the person know a bit about you in terms of greeting. I think this season is far more about being nice and giving thanks than greetings, so anything pleasant works for me. I use all the greetings depending on context and like them all, even "Hi: How are you?" We're not supposed to be nice only now, after all....

And I can feel chipper because I'm done with Christmas shopping, except for a pair of running shoes for my husband! Yay! Thank goodness for online shopping! Now onto cookies this weekend -- yum.

#196134 - 12/18/09 03:03 PM Re: Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays [Re: Ellemm]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
When someone says "Merry Christmas" to me first, I say "yes, I too believe in Christmas...thank you". But we do say that as opposed to Happy Holidays. Since, for years prior, it was MERRY CHRISTMAS! I never changed things, so we remain steadfast in our greetings.

Funny......people "Christmas shop", yet they say "Happy Holidays". Can't figure it all out, so we stay with what we celebrate. If they don't they do not have to respond!

#196135 - 12/18/09 05:14 PM Re: Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays [Re: Di]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ellemm, I was thinking the same thing with regards to what you said, "We're not supposed to be nice only now, after all..." But it is kinda cool that more people reach out in kindness and niceites this time of year. Too bad it doean't last all year long.

I say Merry Christmas or enjoy the season. I also chit-chat about their pins, scarves, ties, the line, etc. Just trying to spread some cheer.

DI, like your comment, people Christmas shop, yet they say happy holidays. Everyone's trying to be politically correct.

#196159 - 12/18/09 07:48 PM Re: Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays [Re: Dotsie]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
I am now waiting for those out there to change the lyrics to the Christmas songs because it says Christmas... God I hope this doesn't happen.

Interesting enough, there are Jewish people who love Christmas and do not mind saying Merry Christmas. Our VP at my Co is Jewish and he is the most politically incorrect person when it comes to this stuff. He has allowed us to play Christmas music in order to boost morale. Maybe 2 people have complained and his answer was, it's only for a few days, it isn't going to kill you.

In the past, if I said "Merry Christmas" to someone and they responded with, "we don't celebrate Christmas, we celebrate such and such". I would then give them the appropriate greeting according to their beliefs. It shouldn't be that complicating and my goodness, are we so thin skinned???

BTW, we have another manager who is Jewish and he always gives us the best Christmas presents. He doesn't have a problem with it, and he didn't feel like Christians were trying to convert him when being greeted with "Merry Christmas".

Another interesting factor, the same people who claim to be offended, are the same people who do not mind taking Christmas day off with pay...

Cheers,
Cathi

#196164 - 12/18/09 10:53 PM Re: Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays [Re: Wisdom&Life]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh WOW! Now that is a real kicker that you expressed Cathi...Hipocrates galore roam around all puffed up and nasty but their hands are out for those Christmas bonuses and days off with pay.

I wish folks a very Merry Christmas and if anyone says I don't celebrate Christmas. I ask, okay then what do you celebrate? Then whatever they answer, I wish them 'Happy that,' whatever it may be. Kind of hard for them to complain then. Plus the smile I keep plastered on my face is probably kind of scary...he, he...!

As far as shopping goes, thank God for catalogs.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#196183 - 12/19/09 06:39 AM Re: Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Cathi, it is the same at my firm. My senior partner is Jewish, as are four other partners. They are all Orthodox Ashkenazi. We have no problem with our respective religious festivities or traditions. I have a Crucifix on my desk. They have a Hamsa. I wear my cross pendant, they wear their yarmulke and we growl together on Purim. They wish me "Merry Christmas", I wish them "Happy Hannukah". We have a Christmas tree and a menorah with electric bulbs in the office.

The senior partner spearheads the Christmas card drive, chooses the most traditional to send off to clients. We are quite festive at work from Hannukah to New Year. The firm closes from Christmas Eve and we do not come back to work until the next working day of the New Year. The Jewish partners, take their days off during the Jewish holidays as well as observe a short working day to be able to observe Shabbat well in the winter time. Our Christmas parties are always kosher-catered so everyone can participate in the meal.

And then, we all leave work to join the mass of different thoughts and expressions. But, we go in the same way that Chatty does: we are secure in our faith, know what we believe and have no problem with what anyone else believes. However, I would add to that: as long as they do not keep us from what we believe and celebrate.

#196201 - 12/19/09 02:59 PM Re: Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lola and Cathi, sounds like you work with a bunch of secure folks. I think insucurities are the root of many of these issues. Sad, but true.

Edited by Dotsie (12/19/09 02:59 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved