The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 198 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#147733 - 05/05/08 01:08 AM How "old" is "old"?
NYWoman Offline

Loc: California
I didn't know exactly where to post this, so I chose "A Very Fine Whine" because I could be perceived as "whining."

That being said, my DH and I were shopping at Wal-Mart today. I was standing in line waiting to pay for my "goodies" when I overheard a conversation between two college-age young women. Their topic of conversation was teaching dance. The gist of the conversation was that one of the women preferred teaching dance to children rather than "old" people. I wanted so badly to turn to them and ask, "How 'old' is 'old'?" I did my best to keep my thoughts to myself.

So I ask you, "How 'old' is 'old'?" Is 50 "old"? Is 60 "old"? Is 70, 80, 90 "old"? What do your children consider "old"?

I remember the movie "Wild In the Streets" where a little girl asks Max Frost how old he is. His response was "35." The little girl frowned and said, "That's old."

The floor is now open to my "old" friends.

#147734 - 05/05/08 02:12 AM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: NYWoman]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I was just thinking about this age perception and comparisons while cycling by myself this gorgeous morning. I felt terrific..then I realized that my mother when she was my age, had a totally different life ...SHE must have felt her age or older.

It's how you feel, trite...though there are many outside voices that keep insisting we have to live up to our chronological age.

#147735 - 05/05/08 02:18 AM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: orchid]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I think your perception of "old" changes as you age. I'm sure when I was in my early 20's, 50 seemed ancient and quite rickety. Now that I'm 50, I don't feel old at all, other than a few more joint aches.

And as I age, I realize that the people older than me - say in their 70's and up - have more wisdom and value than I gave them credit for when I was younger. I used to look at older people as kind of done with life, without realizing how much I could learn from them.

I hope when I'm really old (at 80, will I think 100 is old?) that no one talks to me like I have no sense left, like so many people do.

#147736 - 05/05/08 03:07 AM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Well, honest I "felt" my age last weekend for the lst time I can remember. You know cycling beside someone who is 30 and she was having a conversation with me while we were mounting a long hill. She was not panting while she was talking and was slowing down for me. Now she is in great shape and not all women even her age are so fantastically fit.

However I have to remember that now close to 50 (I'm 49) I can still do that hill, but not necessarily as agile and nimble in style. It was a route I normally do solo, where I don't feel my age.

For myself, who doesn't have children, methinks that the passage time is just abit different unless we have a job that involves working with children. I don't realize the passage of time nor my age until I see my nieces and nephews are growing.

It is possible the state of our present health might affect how we perceive ourselves...and if we are complaining alot about our aches and pains to others, then others will see you as old.

Not saying that one should not complain..better to do something to make yourself healthier and have fun at the same time.

#147737 - 05/05/08 03:48 AM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: orchid]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Old is when you see 20-30 year olds and think they are still in their teens.

#147738 - 05/05/08 06:51 AM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: gims]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
lol gims. That's good.

If you have a good straight back and a spry gait, then you look young. It's the bent back, peering over the spectacles, and holding yourself on to any object near you for support, that makes you look old...at 35 or 80.

I noticed something interesting. When we had my grandchild to take care of, children at playgrounds immediately mistook me for the mother. At stores, I was carefully asked if I were the grandmother. While doing sports like golf or hiking, people just knew I was the grandmother. Probably because I was pushing the baby carriage with stretched arms, bent back, and groaned like a brown bear.

#147739 - 05/05/08 02:30 PM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: gims]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:

Old is when you see 20-30 year olds and think they are still in their teens.

Gims, that is a good one! Can I relate! There's a guy working in our local post office, looks about 16 to me, but he's close to 30, finished university and worked abroad for a couple of years!

For me, there's a generation gap between my mind and my body...there are days when my mind still feels so young that I'm surprised when I look in the mirror to see those grey hairs and wrinkly eyes. My body feels the age more...the other day I knelt down in the card store to look at cards on the lower shelf of the display, and couldn't get back up because my knees just wouldn't co-operate! One of those very young-looking salesclerks had to come and help me up. Talk about feeling old!

But the part of me that feels old the most is my heart. I think that grief has aged me more than time...losing Dad, Mom, my youngest brother, all of my aunts and uncles and several close in-laws in less than 10 years has had an excruciating impact. I'm only 52 and have lost almost my entire family. That has wrinkled my heart and wearied my spirit, which I'm sure comes across to others as "old".

(Maya Angelou)

#147740 - 05/05/08 05:49 PM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Great topic.

I think it's more about lifestage than age. I also think it has a lot to do with your activity level.

After Easter, I mentioned to my kids that Pop-Pop was looking a little old to me (he's 79).

My youngest son, said, "He IS old. What do you mean?"

He spoke the truth and I was surprised by it.

So I guess I think of old as no longer being able to get around like you once did, slowing down, no longer driving, looking hunched and no longer capable of picking up your pace if you had to. I guess I'm thinking more of the physical aspects.

#147742 - 05/05/08 07:57 PM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: ]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
He he! Some days I feel young and spry (everything is relative, of course)..other days I feel heavy under the weight of my years..due to sorrows or problems..or stiff joints or a tummy that is giving me problems (IBS..the runny kind ).

The other day a colleague said that she couldn´t believe I was 60..this made me feel 20 and beautiful..then today a colleague laughed, gently, and said..guess it´s age right..meaning my forgetting something. I actually had to laugh with her..but I didn´t feel 20 exactly..maybe just human!

But when I listen to my adult kids ranging from 18 to 35..well..35 is old for my 18yr old! And my daughter of 35 tells me that 60 is no old age anymore..And my son of 28 says..but, mom, you can keep young if you keep fit (read between the lines here, I think). And my 31 yr old daughter, single with 3 kids, who just had her heart broken..yet again..well, she doesn´t give a sh.. about my age. I am just mom.

The kids I work with..3 to 6 yr olds..they have me starting school in the fall at the age of 6 or dying soon at the age of 60.

I mean..what is a gal to think??? My partner is 35 and we are still doing it..and he finds me desirable which is more than I find myself

Fun thread I guess the bottom line is that when I look in the mirror..I realize that I am not young anymore..and if I am feeling ok..I think..well, that´s life. If I am not feeling ok..out of sorts..then I can get sad and wish that I had more time..but I am grateful for the time I have had so far..so very grateful! My daughter died when she was 11 yrs old..and she went thru most of the phases of life before she left us I have also lost some dear friends before they reached 60..so I am lucky to be 60..and still be standing upright and can walk with my own 2 feet.

I don´t mean to be morose here..just saying what I think and feel

#147743 - 05/05/08 08:13 PM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: humlan]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I wrote this somewhere else in here last week about feeling devastingly old. I have always been told I look much younger than my actual age and that made me feel younger. Then last week I was passing a guy in a parking lot in the opposite direction and his truck got very close to my car, he stuck his head out the window and yelled, sorry Grandma!!!! I was so upset by that I called my mom when I got home in tears and said, "I am officially a geezer." She is 88 and just laughed at me.
How does one come to grips with their age as we grow older in years and yet still think and feel young?

Edited by chatty lady (05/05/08 08:17 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved