The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 136 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#60895 - 12/09/05 06:18 PM A Mother's Lament
ladybug Offline

I'm almost always hearing fellow moms saying how they wonder if they "did a good job" raising their children or the other famous words, "I regret that I...(fill in the blanks).

Even the best of fathers (after they've mated and DO stick around) are never heard to say any of these things. It's the heart of a woman that questions whether or not we've done right in raising our children.

Men sure are different aren't they? Why don't they ask these questions? Aren't they just as responsible for how their children turn out? Do us women have a monopoly on some of the mistakes some of us make while raising our children?

Even some news articles manage to place emphasis on the mother when a child gets in trouble. I always ask myself, where is the father in these cases?

[ December 09, 2005, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#60896 - 12/09/05 06:31 PM Re: A Mother's Lament
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ladybug, this is a broad statement and there is some truth in it, but I have to tell you that my husband plays the guessing game right along with me and so do many other fathers we know. I guess we are fortunate to have friends who share the joys and burdens of raising kids today.

And we all know that "good families" don't always raise "good kids." At least not where we live. Some of the best kids come from families who live through tough times. They somehow learn what they don't want and make better choices for themselves when they become independent and get out from under the madness.

#60897 - 12/09/05 06:43 PM Re: A Mother's Lament
ladybug Offline

Oh for sure Dotsie. In fact some of the very best kids I know lived through some pretty tough times and managed to do just fine.

I think my two aunts and uncles did an excellent job of raising their children. Each of their children had some serious problems in their lives despite the good home life they had.

My grandma on the other hand always commented how my own mother raised "the best kids." She would even say it in front of my two aunts and tell them not to feel bad. They didn't because they understood what grandma was saying. My brothers and I survived some rough times as kids. Maybe it was the best my parents could do. Maybe they couldn't see their mistakes at the time. They are still married after 64 years. With their history that seems unbelievable.

#60898 - 12/09/05 07:41 PM Re: A Mother's Lament
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My husband would always worry if his sons did something that he didn't think was right for them. But then, their mom wasn't that active in their lives so it was his burden.

I think it depends on the people involved.

#60899 - 12/09/05 07:58 PM Re: A Mother's Lament
ladybug Offline

I know my husband loves our kids very much and is concerned for their well-being it's just that I've never heard a man come out and say he wondered if he did a good job of raising them.

Women mostly seem to be the ones who actually voice their concerns. Many men are silent leading you to mistakenly think (maybe)that these concerns aren't on their minds.

#60900 - 12/09/05 11:01 PM Re: A Mother's Lament
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
I think most men are so occupied with trying to make a decent living for their children, and wondering if they've done enough to support them financially. You know what I mean!

Danita

#60901 - 12/09/05 11:56 PM Re: A Mother's Lament
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Danita, I think you're right about that. Women say "did I teach them well ?" men say "Did I give them a comfortable life?". We are wired differently.

#60902 - 12/10/05 05:23 AM Re: A Mother's Lament
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
ayup. WHAT WAS GOD THINKING??????

D.

#60903 - 12/10/05 06:09 AM Re: A Mother's Lament
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Childfren are the greatest of Gods gifts, unfortunately they don't all get great parents!!

Heres a cute one....picture this!
A little small baby boy walking towards you saying;

I come bearing a gift.
I'll give you a hint:
It's in my diaper,
and it's not a toaster!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved