The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 142 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#60071 - 12/20/04 08:31 AM What's in a name?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Erica and I have pm each other after I told her how much I love her name. My real name is Karen Dianne. Mom couldn't think of a middle name to go after Dianne so put Karen in front of it, which I hate. As a little girl, I always wanted my name to be Anita Eileen, for whatever reason. but Erica believes we're named what we are for a reason. What do you gals think?

My oldest son, Chad, decided when he was about 11-years old, that his name should be Michael and insisted we call him that. Lasted about one week.

#60072 - 12/20/04 08:46 AM Re: What's in a name?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I get upset when people mispell my name especially when its so important that its correct like on a story you've written. Whats funny is when you are spelling it as someone writes it down and still spells it wrong, like the normal spelling of Charlene is different from the way mother spelled my name, Charleen and Micheals is not the way I spell Micheles. It ticks me off when its wrong. Don't have much but our names, important that they are correct. [Wink]

#60073 - 12/20/04 01:47 AM Re: What's in a name?
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Our names are important. I hate it when someone mispells my name, or worse, thinks I'm the one who has it wrong. As a child, I never corrected people when they pronounced my name wrong. Now, I do. I hated teachers who couldn't get it right. I just thought I wasn't supposed to tell them they were wrong. [Frown]
Louisa

#60074 - 12/20/04 03:40 AM Re: What's in a name?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chatty, please tell me the exact spelling of your name so I'm not one of the people who tick you off! [Eek!] I belive I've seen it spelled both ways in your emails. I'm confused.

I'm named after my mom. My real name is Dorothea which means a gift of God. This is crazy but somehow when we named all three of our children we were able to find names that meant the same. I belive with my heart that all three of our children were indeed gifts from God. The first two were adopted from Korea and I got pregnant with our third while we were waiting for our daughter to arrive.

Now, back to my name. I go by Dotsie because that was my nickname as a child. I dnon't like it. It's so cutesie! How old am I anyway? I don't want to be called Dorothea...it reminds me of my Catholic school days. My mom was always Dot so I kept Dotsie. Whenever I introduce myself I have to repeat my name over and over again! Whatever!

#60075 - 12/20/04 03:47 AM Re: What's in a name?
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
Try being called Eveline (pronounced Ev-i-leen) and be called Evelyn or Evi-line (pronounced line, rhymes with fine) - nobody says it right, or spells it right...I've even been called Emily?????

Like Louisa, I never corrected anybody when they said it wrong. (Call me anything you want, just don't call me late for supper).

I used to hate it when anyone called me "Evie", then I married my husband and got his grandmother as part of the deal [Razz] and she always called me "Evie" - I sort of got used to it. She has since passed on, and I find myself using "Evie" as a nickname....life is strange!

#60076 - 12/20/04 05:12 AM Re: What's in a name?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
As a child I was called Merry because Meredith was too big and formal a name. I spent way too many years explaining that it wasn't Mary or Marie. [Eek!] When I was 28 we moved to a new town and I decided that was the time to reclaim Meredith, and I've gone by that ever since. Family still calls me Merry though.

Meredith means something like Sea Goddess. I of course can see the Goddess part but I'm not sure about the sea business as I'm afraid of being in deep water and can't swim.

#60077 - 12/21/04 12:58 AM Re: What's in a name?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The correct spelling of my name is and always was and should be:

Charleen Micheles and for my writing I usually use all three;

Charleen Micheles-Scott I can only hope it isn't mispelled on anything really important like a published piece.... [Frown] [Big Grin]

#60078 - 12/21/04 03:06 AM Re: What's in a name?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I have the same issues with my name. People are always spelling it wrong. I've seen it Vicky, Vickie, Vikki, but it's spelled Vicki. Then I get the people who assume my name is short for Victoria. But it isn't. I was supposed to be named Victoria, but after I was born my mom was unconscious. (I was a breech) My dad had to fill out the birth certificate. He didn't know how to spell Victoria, so he named me Vicki. Thank goodness he spelled it correctly!! [Smile]

#60079 - 12/21/04 04:05 AM Re: What's in a name?
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I know how you guys feel about mispelled or mispronounced names.

My name is RHODI-short and sweet. It's not my nickname. It's simply MY NAME! It's UNIQUE!

#60080 - 02/13/05 01:51 AM Re: What's in a name?
Dannye Offline

Loc: Prophetstown, IL
I know this is an old post, but I related to it so much that I decided to comment anyway!

Like Dianne, I grew up with a middle name which I ditched after high school. But Dannye has been misspelled and mispronounced every way you can imagine. Plus my maiden name was Goodroe. So in addition to repairing my first name, I was always having to say "r-o-e, not r-o-w". Then I married and was always having to say "B-e-c-k-u-m, not h-a-m." Years later I remarried, and now I have to say "Williamsen with an s-e-n, not s-o-n."
But I like having a name that's different. It's only been in the last 15-20 that the shortened version of Danielle (Dani) has become so popular, and I have to admit that it still feels strange to hear someone else called by "my" name!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved