The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 209 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#118948 - 05/18/07 11:53 AM Jury Duty??
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I got a notice in the mail yesterday that I might be called for jury duty (federal court) in June......I have 2 appt's scheduled during that time, plus I wasn't sure when we were going to get back from a trip......called the courthouse and after asking me for the dates, the gal said "oh yea you're on the top of my list.......if there's a trial during those weeks, you're probably going to get called". Well, crud. Ok, I know this is my civic duty and all that. And truthfully there is no time that would probably be good for it.........there's always something on the calendar, right?!? But what gets me is.......I'm supposed to call after noon the Fri before to find out if I have to be there the following Mon morning. Then I'm on call for the following two weeks........the gal said I'm supposed to check in every day, and they try to call and give you 2 days notice before you have to appear. The courthouse is in downtown Orlando and I'd have to be there at 8:00 a.m. (if you knew the traffic around here, you'd know why that doesn't make me happy) but mostly it's the not knowing that I hate. How can you plan anything?!? I've received jury duty notifications in the mail before, but haven't had to appear for years (I would call as instructed and be informed that I wasn't needed)-- I think I was in college the last time and that was a smaller local court thing. Anybody done jury duty for federal court?
I called my doc's office and rescheduled the appt's....if I do get selected for jury duty I don't want to wait and cancel the appt's at the last minute,decided it would be easier to just reschedule now. As for the trip, we'll be going up to Alabama with a group of friends the week before, and I can call that Fri afternoon from there.......and if I have to report that Mon, we'll come home the day before. It's kind of like.......I don't mind doing the jury duty thing but I don't want to change everyone's plans and then not get selected. I guess I'm just supposed to put my life on hold for those 2 weeks? I'm such a planner, I HATE not knowing what my schedule's going to be.

#118949 - 05/19/07 05:45 PM Not a good judge...Re: Jury Duty?? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Dear Cross,
Went through something similar a year ago. It wasn't for the Federal Court is was local, county stuff. But I called for a week and then they didn't need me after all. I hope I never get selected to decide on a life/death decision.
I'm a horrible judge of character. People I think are good are bad. Those I think are bad, are good. I pray I never get put on a jury. Good luck to you, Cross.
Ciao for now,
b. rose

#118951 - 05/19/07 08:49 PM Not a good judge...Re: Jury Duty?? [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Crosstitch, I did that last year for civil court. Thought of asking for an extension for the next term, yet wanted to get it over with. Reported and the judge followed script and interviewed all (about 40) and then let us all go b/c the "criminals" had all plead the previous week. Was paid $15 plus mileage and had to report on and pay taxes for that visit that took over 1/2 day!

I agree, its our civic duty, but it can sure be a pain in the keester!

#118952 - 05/20/07 12:27 AM Not a good judge...Re: Jury Duty?? [Re: ]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Bonnierose, I can relate with you. I have quit trying to 'read' my customers. I never can figure what they are thinking. Most people are excellent actors.

On one hand I think it is quite an honour to be selected for Jury duty, but I can understand it being cumbersome. Let us know what happens Crossstich.

#118953 - 05/20/07 10:31 PM Not a good judge...Re: Jury Duty?? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ann, I have always thought there has to be a better way to schedule jury duty. Now that you've changed things around, I hope you get in on an interesting case.

#118954 - 05/20/07 11:47 PM Not a good judge...Re: Jury Duty??
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The best way is NOT to judge the person sitting there at the defendants table. Try not to even look their way, try to remember that ugly or hagard looking does not mean guilty. Just judge the EVIDENCE presented. Listen closely, take notes and if need be ask to review the evidence once you are in the deliberation room. Take your time, do not let anyone bully you into their way of thinking and pay attention to the EVIDENCE if they even have any. That is what you are really judgeing...Have fun, I hate jury duty.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#118955 - 05/21/07 01:07 PM Not a good judge...Re: Jury Duty?? [Re: chatty lady]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I got called several years ago for jury duty and it was a triple murder trial. My book was just being released so I had to explain to the judge how my publisher would take a bite out of the corner of her desk if I had to cancel all the promo dates that had been set up. He even asked for the title of my book! I really wanted to serve too but the timing was bad.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#118956 - 05/24/07 02:20 PM I'm sure you're right... [Re: Dianne]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Chatty,
I'm sure what you say is true. These days, with DNA available, I don't think it's as easy to taint evidence as it once was. I hope I get through the nightmare I'm going through, before I have to report again. It's already been a full two years, since this thing with my friend surfaced.
I'm praying God lets the truth rise to the top and pubicly exposes the evildoers, SOON. I've been called a couple times for Jury Duty but had high numbers and was dismissed.
Thank God!!!
Ciao for now,
b. rose

#118957 - 06/22/07 11:19 AM Re: I'm sure you're right... [Re: jabber]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Wanted to let you all know that I did get selected for jury duty and it turned out to be a very boring tax fraud case that was finished in court in 3 days. I had to report to the courthouse for the first time on Mon, in the morning the jury was selected and the trial started that afternoon, continued thru Tues, we heard closing arguements on Wed morning and reached our verdict Wed afternoon. It was a case of the United States vs. an individual that decided several years ago he did not have to pay income tax even though he was receiving a substantial income thru his employment plus other income. This person had done everything you could imagine over the past several years to stall this issue from coming to trial -- including firing his lawyer two weeks before the trial in the hopes that the judge would grant a continuance, which she refused to do. Also he felt that the court had no jurisdiction over him and even though he was doing his own defense at the trial, refused to speak a word in the courtroom as he felt this would be admitting that he fell under the court's jurisdiction. So even though the U.S. presented many witnesses (former employer, bank employees, IRS people) and went over mountains of documentation to prove their case, the defendant never cross-examined, which really sped things up.
Interesting group of people on the jury and that helped to pass the time whenever we were sent on a break. This was my first time actually serving on a jury (I've been called to jury duty before but never actually selected) and it was definitely a learning experience. I hope I never get selected for a lengthy trial..........just sitting there for most of 3 days was enough for me.
Even though we found this guy guilty, he won't get sentenced til Sept...........and of course he's going to file appeals......will probably never end up serving any jail time or paying his fines........kind of made me feel like what's the point, in this particular case, but who knows.

#118958 - 06/22/07 02:45 PM Re: I'm sure you're right... [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
What a weirdo. People like that drive me nuts.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved