The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 227 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#101785 - 01/05/07 06:58 AM toilet woes
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Maybe 10 years ago, the city I live in was giving away free no-flush (my term) toilets in exchange for our old working ones. This program was repeated 5 years later.

The 2nd time, I told my husband not to trade in our good one because I hate the new toilets. The idiot did it anyhow. I have since told him if he wants to trade in the 3rd (and last original) toilet, it will be over my dead body.

I hate these toilets. They literally don't flush when they most need to. Since plunging really hurts my arthritis, I just keep flushing every 15 minutes or so, sometimes up to 26!!! times. And this is supposed to save water??

6 months ago, one of the no-flush toilets started leaking and flooded through the floor down to the kitchen ceiling where the particle board came out. We eventually figured out that the wax ring dried out so the seal was no longer good. So we fixed that, which is not that easy to do, and then the snaky water pipe broke. This has been sitting SINCE THEN until today when we finally replaced the part. That's 6 months, OK? And when we turned the water back on, there was water starting to flood again because the tank somehow got cracked. So now we need a new toilet tank. Anyone want to take bets which century this will happen?

In the mean time, the downstairs no-flush ...didn't flush... and El Idiot didn't wait for the water levels to recede before he flushed again, so it overflowed. As in, flooded. And since I refuse to plunge it, he did, and something else broke which meant more flooding.

We're now down to one working toilet in 3 bathrooms. Even El Slotho understands the seriousness of this situation.

I HATE NO-FLUSH TOILETS!!

I just needed to vent.

#101786 - 01/05/07 07:10 AM Re: toilet woes [Re: meredithbead]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Oh dear. If there's any breakdown in my house that I am always wary of is a non-working toilet. But, what's a no-flush, Meredith? I missed out on that one. The no-flush I know are of the commodes they use for non-ambulatory patients. Hope it is sorted out soon. Hope the hip's much, much better as well.

#101787 - 01/05/07 07:41 AM Re: toilet woes [Re: Lola]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Their official name is "low flush" because they use less water per flush than the older toilets. I'm pretty sure California must have mandated some law about newer toilets using less water.

I somewhat sarcastically call them "no flush" because that pretty much describes their response to anything more than 1 square of toilet paper.

Thanks for your ongoing concern about my hip. I'm walking poorly -- which is a definite improvement over not walking at all -- but I'm also afraid this may be permanent. I look like Lurch on drugs. I may start a post about this in a day or so.

Poet and essayist

#101788 - 01/05/07 08:58 AM Re: toilet woes [Re: meredithbead]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Before flushing those low flush monstrositys, remove the tank cover and pour in some water, it should help. I hate when officials, City or State try to mandate what we can and cannot have in our own homes. You can be sure they have good flusing toilets and bedays as well. Ba-humbug!

Edited by chatty lady (01/05/07 08:58 AM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#101789 - 01/05/07 09:31 AM Re: toilet woes [Re: chatty lady]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I know the old toilets are better because the ones we replaced them with are useless.
Last summer I dropped a bottle of deodorant into one of the old toilet models and it got stuck. (don't ask how that happened. I have no idea)
Two plumbers came out and wanted to replace it, but I resisted. They couldn't get the deodorant bottle out so they took the toilet out of the bathroom into the front yard.
They were out there almost all day wrestling the toilet all over the yard. It was hilarious. I was laughing hysterically, but had to keep a straight face while I encouraged them to save my old toilet. Finally they got a torch and burned the plastic bottle out.
It was one of those days, but at least they saved my toilet.
smile

#101790 - 01/05/07 09:41 AM Re: toilet woes [Re: smilinize]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
P.S. Meredit,
I'm so sorry about your hip. I hate to hear of you being in pain. Seems like you have been through enough.
I have had so many orthopedic problems and I know how painful they are. Lately I found an acupuncturist who has helped me so much. I also had spinal decompression therapy for my back and low level laser to help heal the surgery on my ankle. It was amazing.
Not covered by most insurance, but who cares if it works.

As you know, prayer works too. As I said to you once before, I am praying for you right now. I will pray to my God that you will be healed by your god.

I so hope you feel better soon.
smile

#101791 - 01/05/07 02:30 PM Re: toilet woes [Re: smilinize]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Oh Meredith, I know exactly what you mean about those toilets! Our water company did a free exchange one year for "low flow" toilets - same thing I imagine. Many of our friends exchanged theirs and they are not happy now.

We didn't because we already had one of those in the house (in the addition that was put on just before we bought it) and it's a pain in the #&**%@. To get anything to go down, you have to hold the lever in flushing position for awhile.

We're on septic tanks here, and two years ago it started backing up. I literally had crap backing up into my bathtub!! Major Yuck!!! So we had to replace the tank and part of the leach line, to the tune of $5,000. Oh the joys of being a homeowner....

#101792 - 01/05/07 03:29 PM Re: toilet woes [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Meredith, I know it isn't funny but you had me laughing. I've noticed when we travel a lot of the newer hotel/motels use the no flush toilets and you're right, they don't work.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#101793 - 01/05/07 10:58 PM Re: toilet woes [Re: Dianne]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Smile,

I have a lovely image of the great toilet wrestlers in my mind! LOL glad they were able to save her--blow torch and all!

#101794 - 01/05/07 11:04 PM Re: toilet woes [Re: Jane_Carroll]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Good Lord...this is ALL good writing material. Gives a new meaning to the words "Super Bowl." Yes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved