The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 166 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59468 - 03/03/06 02:30 AM WE are Women
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Ladies, I'm going to sound-off on something that I find most irritating.

I take offense when some barely out of her teens female is referred to as a woman. This statement is usually made pertaining to some flavor of the month music star, model, or film actress. The influence of the visual media has affected the reasoning of the minds of the general public, it seems, for said public is quick to grant so lightly, to untried females, celebrities or not, a title that carries with it such weight of meaning.

A girl, Ladies, an immature, inexperienced girl, may, by virtue of her graduation from her teens, claim the right to the light weight title, young woman, but by no means, has she earned the right to the heavy weight title of full-fledged woman. Why, she hasn't lived enough of life! She hasn't savored enough of the sweet, or suffered enough of the bitter, to warrant such an honor. She has barely begun the journey of emotional, intellectual, and spiritual growth, that leads to the right to bear the title.

I was thirty the first time I thought of myself as a woman. I realized at the age of fifty, bestowing that title upon myself at that age was an audacious act. At thirty I may have had some small inkling of what it means to be a woman, but I was far from having attained the real status that accompanies the position. Finally, now at the age of fifty-four, I may state, 'I am a woman' with more soul felt certainty, and firm belief in my right to do so, than ever before in my life.

WE are women, Ladies. WE have earned the right to the title.

http://www.intouchwithjeannine.com

#59469 - 03/03/06 03:06 AM Re: WE are Women
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Here here Jeannine!

#59470 - 03/03/06 08:16 AM Re: WE are Women
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
amen!

#59471 - 03/03/06 07:07 PM Re: WE are Women
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I'm with you, Jeannine!

#59472 - 03/06/06 03:54 AM Re: WE are Women
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
With each passing year I am happy to claim my womanhood with more certainty. And I intend to do so with the years to come.

How do you feel about the term young woman?

#59473 - 03/06/06 04:54 AM Re: WE are Women
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
I am in full agreement. (Same goes for men, tho' - I really don't consider most 25 year young men, a man).

But how 'bout this? Lately, a few cashiers, namely younger men, have addressed me as "young lady". I am sure they do this in order to deflect the obvious, and also to obtain my goodwill toward their establishment. Worked just the opposite with me. Feeling that I have earned every gray hair on my head, I think I would prefer "Ma'am" to young lady...

Searcher

#59474 - 03/06/06 06:57 AM Re: WE are Women
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
How about being called honey. Does that bother anyone but me??? It is like scratching ones nails accross the board in my mind! eeek. There is a guy in my networking group who calls me that. I know he doesn't mean anything. I'm going to ask him not to. It just irrates me like mad!

The only person I want calling me honey is MY honey!

A young woman at McDonalds (I was getting grub for the kiddos) called me "dear". She was all of 17. ughhhhh!

danita

#59475 - 03/06/06 09:14 AM Re: WE are Women
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
This past week, I was stopped for speeding. I was apologizing to the policeman and frantically looking for the insurance card. He smiled and said, "That's okay "Honey," I'll just give you a warning. Now you just be careful, you hear?"

I was thankful to be called honey. it was sort of sweet.

"Honey" is a term of endearment around these parts and it is not restricted to mates. I just love southern men.

smile

#59476 - 03/06/06 10:27 AM Re: WE are Women
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
The thing about being called 'honey' is funny. One time I went with my daughter to pick up food. We decided to see how long it would take before someone called me 'honey.' Sure enough, the gal in the drivethrough, who was younger than my daughter, said, "Here you go, Hon." She probably wondered why my daughter and I started laughing like crazy. [Big Grin]

I'm called "honey" or "sweetie" constantly. I'm not sure if it's a regional thing. Might be. I might not be so special. lol! But my daughter thinks it's funny anyway.

As for being a 'woman,' I think I first felt like a woman after I had my first child in my twenties. But now? I'm reverting to being a kid again. No, not really. Just when I write for children. [Big Grin]

#59477 - 03/06/06 06:43 PM Re: WE are Women
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Searcher, I'm with you. I can't stand those types of comments. I think they're condescending.

I also don't like it when men make flirtatious type comments either. I'm tough!

I call my daughter's friends that come and go in our home, honey. It's a term of endearment. I love them.

I think it depends on who's saying it and what they're intention is.

Donna, the big word in Baltimore that makes everyone laugh is HON!

Howya doin'hon?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved