The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 78 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#60779 - 11/08/05 09:46 PM Accountability help
Debi Offline

Loc: Kansas City Kansas
Hey guys, I have a challenge and question for you. I am 40 and have no focus or direction. There are so many things I could do but nothing is ever done.

I want to work at home on my computer writing, but i dont have the knowledge or inside strength to get off my back side to get it done. As i think of what i really wanted to do is a freelance writer. I want to be an independent contractor/executive assistant , offering different services(for lack of better words) to businesses. Things like taking care of tedious paper work temp receptionist, organizer and party planner. Things of that nature. Including creating specialized greeting cards for bosses and employees alike.

Today I want to get a portfolio together and go out to design business cards and pass them out sharing with people what I am offering. With the strength and outgoingness to make people believe and really listen to what I want to do,

Any suggestions , advice?
If there is none just some moral support from my boomer friends would be a blessing and comfort.

Deb

#60780 - 11/09/05 02:30 PM Re: Accountability help
karenelaine1977 Offline

Loc: Mississippi
Hey, Deb-Congratulations on wanting to start your own business like this. I have a similar business that I've been doing for about 5 years now. Another idea is to take a flyer about your services to the local library and ask them to post it for you. And something I did was got out the ole fax machine and sent a flyer by fax to businesses that were on the Chamber of Commerce's membership list. Normally, they don't cost a lot, even if you're not a member. But, I did also join the Chamber here.

If you're going to do the temp secretary and then the event planning, are you going to do them as two different businesses? It might be where people will understand it all better. I think it's really great, though. I'm happy for you!! Go Deb, go Deb, go go go Deb! [Smile] I'd be happy to give any advice that you might need and definitely will give moral support! Go get 'em!

#60781 - 11/09/05 03:47 PM Re: Accountability help
Debi Offline

Thank you Happy wife and mom,

I appriciate your support and hadnt thought a bout the chanber of commerce either and i pass it every day on my way to the library anyway. Now to come up with a name and stick to it

a friend suggested "CLONE ME"

Deb

#60782 - 11/09/05 07:17 PM Re: Accountability help
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Deb,

The other thing you can do is to join a REALLY good networking group.

I joined BNI (business networking international) (check out BNI.COM)...it has been a Godsend for my business.

The format of the group is VERY productive (and the same all over the U.S)...the goal is to help each other build their businesses. There is only one "type" of each business represented in one group - so just think of how you could even service the group members!

We have a "remote secratary" in our group -- she picks up the slack for alot of us.

I personally, would not join a chamber of commerece (this is MY personal prejudice) because you have to compete against all the other people doing the same thing you are.

Pick "happy wife and mothers'" brain about how she started her business, talk to chatty also...she's done some simular stuff. And if you would like to talk to the "remote secratary" in my group, I would be happy to connect you to her.

The biggest hinderance to one starting their own business is......THEMSELVES! Get reading some books on personal growth....empower yourself with new thoughts about who you are, where you are going, what you can do, and what you WILL do with your life!

Hugs to you sister...be brave and do hard things!

Danita

#60783 - 11/09/05 09:44 PM Re: Accountability help
Debi Offline

Thank you Danita

I will look into checking out some of those books at the library today.

Thank you

#60784 - 11/10/05 01:36 AM Re: Accountability help
Debi Offline

Hey I have some intersting news , I dressed professional and went to several places to ask if they would be interested in putting up my flyers / biz cards , all but one said yes , and one of those wont post in the lobby but will post them in their break room(that was a bank) its nice that they will do even that,

The other possible place was the library, I have to ask the director,,

And ..

Next friday is a workshop on how to create greeting cards.

So today is a very productive and good day.
But if you have any further ideas id be greatful.

Deb

#60785 - 11/10/05 03:14 AM Re: Accountability help
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
Way to go, Deb, You're going to have more business than you can handle before you know it.

#60786 - 11/10/05 04:34 AM Re: Accountability help
Debi Offline

I hope so Jackie,
I was talking to another friend and was telling her that I had said they would be getting the flyers/biz cards by monday , then I asked her if this was a test to see if I can come through on promised deliever times and professionalism

She said "sounds like you are in biz now. they are expected the services (flyers) that i promised.

I look at deep breath and made some tea, oh boy

Deb

#60787 - 11/10/05 04:40 AM Re: Accountability help
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Great job Deb!

You are moving forward!

d.

#60788 - 11/10/05 05:42 AM Re: Accountability help
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I've sent Debi all the info she would need to do what has been keeping me sooo busy as of late. Hard to believe the way this business has taken off for me, wow! And I never have to leave the comfort of my home either. [Wink]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved