The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 139 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#60376 - 07/18/05 09:29 PM Splenda Aftertaste
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I had no idea where to put this. It's not a recipe. It's not a diet or exercise. So I guess I'm whining.

I just made some peanut butter cookies for hubby. He has to watch his sugar, and so I substituted Splenda for some of the white sugar. I've had problems with the aftertaste before, but really want to get used to it for hubby's sake, so I thought I'd try substituting a little bit into each recipe from now on.

This time, I only put in 1/4 cup of Splenda along with 3/4 cup of white and another cup of brown sugar (it's a huge recipe, makes close to 80 cookies). So I figured that this small amount wouldn't bother me. I had two cookies over an hour ago, and the aftertaste is BURNING my mouth and the back of my throat. I can't get rid of it...tried water, mango soy drink, even pepsi, but nothing's cutting through that horrible aftertaste.

Is it just me or do others have problems with the aftertaste too? And how am I going to get rid of 80 cookies!!! (We have lots of kids in the neighbourhood...guess they'll be getting fresh home-made cookies this afternoon!)

[ July 18, 2005, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#60377 - 07/18/05 10:00 PM Re: Splenda Aftertaste
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Eagle are you sure it was the Splenda, been using it for along time now and there is no after taste I've noticed but have never baked withg it either. For baking try Bateman's granulated Sugarlike. It also comes in brown sugar and has no after taste. It is especially for baking....Check out; www.bakingbutter.com
World wide email; bakingbutter@lgcy.com

Use cup for cup in any recipe calling for sugar.

#60378 - 07/18/05 11:22 PM Re: Splenda Aftertaste
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Eagle, to me, all the fake sugars have an aftertaste. Some are bitter, some taste flat, some taste nasty so I won't use any of them. Nutrasweet gives me MAJOR headaches if I have too much. You might be having a reaction to it, if it's burning. Did you try drinking milk? That's what's recommended for burning after eating hot peppers. It's worth a try if you can drink milk.

#60379 - 07/19/05 04:32 AM Re: Splenda Aftertaste
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks Chatty and Unique,
The burning did eventually go away, but then it was replaced by a major headache. MSG gives me headaches and facial pain, but I don't consume enough sugar substitutes to know if that's the culprit behind this headache. Could be the high humidity today too.

Hubby LOVES the cookies. But he drinks diet pop, so is used to any aftertaste. I'm determined to get used to the taste, though, because we have to start using more fake sugars in his diet. So I'll try again tomorrow. If the burning and headaches return, we'll know it's the Splenda.

Chatty, I looked up that site but couldn't get there. Looks like they forgot to pay the rent?

#60380 - 07/19/05 04:33 AM Re: Splenda Aftertaste
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I get that reaction to all forms of artificial sugar and many other artificial foods as well.

Several years ago I sold my jewelry at a small boutique. The woman running the boutique made a variety of baked goods. Well, it doesn't take much to convince me to load up my plate with brownies and lemon bars.

The first bite tasted odd. The second bite curdled my mouth.

The boutique was in a small room and the woman was sitting next to me! [Eek!] Thre was no way I could dump a plateful of baked goods without her noticing. Furthermore, she kept saying "you took a whole plateful and you're hardly eating!" So every time she said that I took another bite and smiled. And I said "These are so delicious! What's in them?" -- Nutrasweet [Frown]

When she went to the bathroom I dumped the whole bunch into my purse but the damage was already done.

It took 7 hours to get the aftertaste out of my mouth.

At the boutique:
toothpaste
cinnamon candy
strong coffee
brushed my teeth again

and when I got home, ginger (powdered spice eaten straight) and undiluted tabasco sauce.

A girlfriend said suck on a lemon, so for two hours I had a lemon wedge in my mouth.

Now I ask before eating. Everywhere, even resaurants.

#60381 - 07/19/05 05:12 AM Re: Splenda Aftertaste
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Eagle, you gotta do what you gotta do...but why do YOU have to eat it, just because HE does? I guess I don't understand that part. If a loved one of mine had to eat liver - hey, I'll cook it for them every day if I have to - but I AINT EATIN'IT!

#60382 - 07/19/05 06:13 PM Re: Splenda Aftertaste
Eagle Heart Offline

quote:
Originally posted by unique:
but why do YOU have to eat it, just because HE does?

'cuz I love homemade cookies too but am just too lazy to bake two different batches of them! Especially with the humidex/temp hovering at 94 degrees.

But hubby agreed last night that we won't be using anymore Splenda in future baking recipes. He'll just restrict how much he eats, which is what he should be doing anyway. We eat very healthfully here, low fat, low salt, low sugar, lots of fruits and veggies, fish, etc. His sugar problem has more to do with portion control than the actual sugar itself.

So he'll probably just give piles of these cookies away to the neighbourhood kids and next door neighbour this evening.

#60384 - 07/20/05 04:40 AM Re: Splenda Aftertaste
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
I heard on the news that Splenda is make with bleach. I would not eat it . I don't put sugar in Tea . Only lemon .

#60385 - 07/20/05 04:42 AM Re: Splenda Aftertaste
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Maybe moderation is the best answer here. NO aftertaste with moderation either. [Wink]

#60386 - 07/20/05 05:44 PM Re: Splenda Aftertaste
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
I'm just catching up on this posting but wanted to say that while I have noticed an aftertaste with the "fluffy" version of Splenda, I don't have it with the more "traditional sugary" version of Splenda in the packets. Not sure WHY that is, but that's just been my experience.

I've used Splenda since it came on the market though and SOOOOOOOOOOOO much prefer it to any of the other similar products.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved