The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 117 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#193473 - 11/07/09 10:07 PM Cost of Patterns
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Okay, I about fainted when I looked at the price of a pattern these days. I remember them being $1.50...and I think the most I ever paid for one was around $4.50. A couple of years ago I began making shirts for Larry and almost fainted when I saw how much they are. Twice a year (approx.) Hancock's Fabric has a pattern sale in which their patterns are 99 cents. I'm in the sewing mood (must be a full moon)...and dashed down to the sale...I came out with $100 worth of patterns for $7.77. I received an additional 10% discount for being in the quilters guild. Whoa! I found some cute patterns for the grandbeauties (JJ...I'm borrowing that term from you...it's adorable)!!! I found a very cute dress and a little red riding hood cape that will make up so cute for Christmas. Adrianna's favorite color is pink so I'm going to see if I can find some fabric with pink and brown and have her cape a tiny cordoroy in brown with perhaps some kind of pink trim to match her dress. I can see it in my mind but need to look for the fabric.
I envy ladies who live in great big cities where they have lots of fabric stores/quilt shops to choose from.
Is anyone else shocked by the price of patterns?

#193477 - 11/08/09 12:22 AM Re: Cost of Patterns [Re: Dee]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Dee I can't believe the prices they're charging for patterns! It unbelievable in my opinion. My daughter and I watch religiously for the 99 cent sales of patterns. I've got some old, old patterns from when I was just out of school and they were about a dollar or so. Talk about culture shock.
I also sew shirts for hubby and they are mostly the western type and those babies are really expensive. Luckily he pretty much likes one or two basic shirts and then I switch up the yokes for him.
Sounds like your little ones will have cute, cute capes for Christmas. I hope you'll post pictures for us after.
I'm definitely needing to sit down and so some heavy sewing shortly. Daughter wants me to show her how to run the machine. She gave up on sewing her first quilt by hand since it's a Christmas quilt. I think she'd do best to sew the pillows she wants for her bed before trying the quilt.

The worst thing about the patterns is they are still made of that tissue paper that lasts for no time if you're not careful. For the price of them you'd think they'd make them out of pelon or something, right?
www.tidedancer.com

#193484 - 11/08/09 09:31 AM Re: Cost of Patterns [Re: Sandpiper]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Shirt and dress patterns? Oh my goodness! You ladies are soooooo way ahead of me! I'm starting from sewing and cutting straight lines.

#193491 - 11/08/09 02:01 PM Re: Cost of Patterns [Re: Lola]
Dee Offline

Lola... smile We all started where you are...anyone who takes up this craft has my upmost respect. Keep at it Lola...like Mammaw used to say...where there's a will, there's a way. I hope you post photos of your projects. Keep us posted dearest one. I'm proud of you!

#193497 - 11/08/09 05:56 PM Re: Cost of Patterns [Re: Dee]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Thanks, I'll surely keep at it until sewing loves me back or...I get injured in the process. I still have a scar on my left hand where a crochet hook pierced through it. I used to love tatting, crochet and needlecraft in school but, it did not love me back.

#193532 - 11/09/09 12:16 AM Re: Cost of Patterns [Re: Lola]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Whoo hooo! We were at Joann's today and my daughter got three patterns for $1.00 each. It was a special today on Simplicity patterns. I was so excited. I had missed seeing it posted in the sales flyer. That's when I love buying them.

Lola I agree with Dee. You'll love sewing, just give it a chance. The more you do the more you're familiar with all of it. Good luck and do keep us posted.

Dee, my hubby is home today and went to Joann's with us. He picked out more fabric for another western shirt. So it's back to the machine for me.
www.tidedancer.com

#193541 - 11/09/09 02:58 AM Re: Cost of Patterns [Re: Sandpiper]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I haven't bought sewing patterns nor looked at current pricing for last 15 years.

Better hang onto my collection of 100+ different patterns. When I did sew alot, I did occasionally indulge in Vogue patterns simply because some of the designs were innovative and challenging. I can still wear the sizes for patterns that I've used from way back.

But first I should get a pair of reading glasses to thread that needle. smile

#193547 - 11/09/09 04:47 AM Re: Cost of Patterns [Re: orchid]
Dee Offline

Vogue patterns are sky high...

#193558 - 11/09/09 04:48 PM Re: Cost of Patterns [Re: Dee]
Mountain Ash Offline

I would so like to have a designer make me a core set of patterns.
I know exctly what I would require. v neck but showing no clevage..three quarter sleeves. trousers with no pockets..and exactly what length skirt and trousers..
So if and when I meet such a person you will hear me cheer...

so much of a pattern needs altered for me but I do have trusted well used patterns...classic styles never date..

#197681 - 01/13/10 11:53 PM Re: Cost of Patterns [Re: Mountain Ash]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I went to a thrift store with a friend and there was a table filled with all kinds of patterns. Ever thought of looking at a thrift store for them? I was really surprised. Someone also said some libraries have a pattern supply you can rent them like books???

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved