The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#185954 - 07/05/09 04:38 PM fabric estimating
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
OMG -- How did I get so bad at math?! I could do this when I was 12. OK, I'm going to recover my dining room chairs, for the 4th time. Each seat is 22 b y 22 inches and the backs are 22 by 17 inches. when I eyeball it, I think each chair will need about 1 square yard. But they usually sell upholstery fabric at 54 or 60 inches wide, so I want to know exactly how much fabric this requires and I can adjust for patterns. When I did the math, it came out to 11 yards, so I know I'm doing something wrong. who can tell me the correct formula?

#185978 - 07/05/09 06:40 PM Re: fabric estimating [Re: DJ]
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
How many chairs? And did you allow for a couple of inches on every side to wrap and tack the fabric down? It LOOKS like you could do one chair with a couple inches over 2/3 of a yard. Depending on the pattern though. It would be more if you have to match stripes or go with the nap. So... if you've got 8 chairs, it would be maybe 6.5 yards. How's that?

"Life was not given just to be happy, but to matter. Let me walk in that today." ~Kate

www.dreamrkate.blogspot.com
http://www.DreamrKate.etsy.com/

#185991 - 07/05/09 11:12 PM Re: fabric estimating [Re: DreamrKate]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Kate's point about stripes (or how about plaid) and nap of cloth, is worth noting for adding on additional fabric length.

Post us a photo DJ, when you get the reuspholstering done.

Dotsie: Did you get your new curtains installed yet?

#185993 - 07/05/09 11:48 PM Re: fabric estimating [Re: orchid]
DJ Offline

Well, I was going to figure about one yard per chair, and have 6 chairs. But what's the math formula? When I do it mathematically it doesn't seem right. My last estimate was 7 1/2 yards.

I'm not a stripes or plaids person, so if anything, it'll be a print of some sort.

And I have never figured out how to post photos here -- last time I tried, it said my photos needed to be on a website, and I don't have a website.

#186414 - 07/13/09 11:00 PM Re: fabric estimating [Re: DJ]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
My photos posted here weren't from a website -- they were files on my desktop.

Poet and essayist

#186430 - 07/14/09 12:38 AM Re: fabric estimating [Re: meredithbead]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wouldn't the easy way be to measure and figure the fabric needed for one chair first, then if all the chairs are the same buy the same amount for each chair separately OR if you have a pattern take it to the fabric shop and let them figure it out for you, they are suppose to know. But have them cut it enough for how ever many chairs you have separately!!!

The BEST way, my way, the naughty way, is to call an overpriced upholsterer to come to your home with samples and measure the chairs for free. Look through his/her samples and ask he/she to write the measurements down for you on the estimate, then say, I'll have to think on it or show it to my husband. (they do come in handy every now and then. LOL) They leave and you have what you need. Oh and I always send them away with some cookies so it was not a total waste of their overly expensive time, LOL!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#186432 - 07/14/09 02:49 AM Re: fabric estimating [Re: chatty lady]
DJ Offline

Chatty, I don't know if I could do that. But anyway, I've done these chairs twice before. And I STILL don't know what the math is. I think you multiply length times width and then divide for yards, and multiply by 6?

Well, I've done 4 out of 6 chairs. Had to stop because my thumbs hurt.

Seems like everyone at the fabric stores say a dining room chair needs 3/4 yards of fabric so that's what I bought. He gave me some extra for free because it was end of bolt.
What killed me was the price of the foam padding. And that guy, jeez. I don't think he's every made anything ever in his life. He sold me too much of that stuff.

Anyway, the chairs look pretty good, the fabric is beautiful. Belgian.

So, how do I upload pictures?

Edited by DJ (07/14/09 02:52 AM)

#186451 - 07/14/09 10:33 AM Re: fabric estimating [Re: DJ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DJ, that's what I was going to suggest. Take the measurements to the fabric store. They are pros at figuring out how much fabric you need.

How fun that you are covering them yourself. My sister-in-law just covered soem for Dad and they look brand new.

I'd love to see photos. I'll have Georgia email you with instructions for uploading.

#186607 - 07/16/09 09:01 PM Re: fabric estimating [Re: Dotsie]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
DJ...I'm terrible at math...couldn't do it when I was 12...so I admire you for that. smile
Glad to hear you're figuring it out. You'll have to post a photo of your chairs when you've finished...have fun!!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved