The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#178316 - 03/26/09 04:45 PM Seeking ideas for art display
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
A local art gallery will be doing an "Ancient Ones" exhibit in May and would like us to enter our Mimbres Ancient Art Soap line for their committee to vote on. They are replicas of the designs of the ancient Mimbres (Indians) pottery that is thousands of years old.

However, they want me to create a backdrop/display using the soaps. (See them on our front page of Our website : Quail, Rabbit, Turtle, Thunderbird)

If anyone can envision what I might do, please help!

#178317 - 03/26/09 05:18 PM Re: Seeking ideas for art display [Re: Di]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Dee I don't know if you could print these petroglyphs and put them on posterboard. Maybe a short history included.

http://www.mimbrenos.com/Assets/images/Petroglyphs.htm

Or perhaps a map

http://www.cwu.edu/~geograph/mimbres.html

I am stumped and I really enjoy figuring out something like this.

Am I going in the right direction?

#178318 - 03/26/09 05:22 PM Re: Seeking ideas for art display [Re: chickadee]
Di Offline

Close! Petroglyphs are one thing; pottery is another. Maybe I can have a friend print some pottery on something like a mouse pad or similar.

Still thinkin'.....

#178319 - 03/26/09 05:23 PM Re: Seeking ideas for art display [Re: Di]
Di Offline

I like the Map idea! Maybe I can have her print something and I can place a marker/soap where the Mimbres Indians settled.

#178321 - 03/26/09 05:39 PM Re: Seeking ideas for art display [Re: Di]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Let me get this straight Di. Are you saying the back drop has to include your soaps?
If so I would thread some with fishing line and hang them from different lenghts so the are somewhat like a mobile. Shine a small spotlight on them and watch em twirl.

More info if I am going down the wrong path again

#178323 - 03/26/09 06:38 PM Re: Seeking ideas for art display [Re: chickadee]
Di Offline

This is what the women recommended. I'm a bit confused which is why I'm seeking outside sources:

"You're soaps are beautiful. I see success for you with them.

I'm going to find a way to get them shown at the Ancient Ones show. We require original art so ( an 'assemblage' involving one (or maybe more) stuck on a tree branch (with a nail or with moss covering the hot glue,...) to show as 'multimedia art' would fit in - not to lead your art design process too specifically.) The label could reference 'local ....soap... with tree branch ...', something artistic. Because this is a committee selection I think another picture/submission would make them happier, as art.
I love your designs and concept. Hoping to find a display - vision for them in our art context. "

#178325 - 03/26/09 07:53 PM Re: Seeking ideas for art display [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Or the soaps displayed as beautiful necklaces..with 1 beautiful mannequin proudly wearing 1 one them and others laid out.

Too bad..if you had time, you could enlist a local art college student or senior high school student to help you with design of the mannequin..it could be paper mache. It would give them practical experience too on marketing and display.

#178328 - 03/26/09 08:05 PM Re: Seeking ideas for art display [Re: orchid]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Those are beautiful soaps. Are you able to find the remains of saguaro cactus? Do you know how they look sort of skeletal, kind of like sea sponges? The message mentions branches with moss, but if you're in New Mexico,, I think you should go with the local terrain (and I admit, I'm imagining Arizona and not sure what your climate is like). If you use a branch, I think it should be all bleached out, and also maybe some stones. Everything earthy beiges and grays except for the soaps. Maybe even some sand.

#178329 - 03/26/09 08:13 PM Re: Seeking ideas for art display [Re: DJ]
Di Offline

Ahhh, when we take the dogs out for a run, I'll look for some yucca pods or mesquite or chollo, ocotillo, or other desert plants. Maybe like a "shadow box" type thing. And I an prob find a small replica of a Mimbres potter bowl.

Hmmmm.........

#178336 - 03/26/09 09:52 PM Re: Seeking ideas for art display [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I was invisioning one of those dried, bleached out cattle heads that we can find scattered about in the desert, maybe as a backdrop with soaps around and on it. This is such a neat thread, I love the creativity of people. Good luck!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved