The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#109458 - 02/27/07 05:10 PM Floral Design ? Silk Flowers
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Hello Ladies ,
I have started a crash course in four weeks Floral Arrangment in Silk Flowers . I have new wire cutter and scirrors and floral tape . I started at the local collage extented classes at one of the local schools here in MD .

My first class I made a silk arrangment in a clay pot cut myself on the wires. What fun ! The arrangment turned out so well that my husband took it to work . Only thing which I dislike was working with the moss . Oh, the hands feel terrible . This week is a round arrangment , can't wait .

Next class is Floral arrangment 2 and working with real flowers . I think corages would be a nice class to take also.

Have any of you ladies worked on foral arrangment with silk flowers and any tips for me . I love the instrutor she teaches at one of the collage here .

Blessings,

#109459 - 02/28/07 02:39 AM Re: Floral Design ? Silk Flowers [Re: Sadie]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Rennee, that sounds like a great course. Are you going to do it professionally or just as a hobby.

I really enjoy fresh flower arranging but I use a frog to help mostly. I like artificial flowers also.

I think it's sweet that your husband took it to work. He sounds like he is really proud of your work.

Have fun at your next class.

chick

#109460 - 02/28/07 05:19 PM Re: Floral Design / Silk Flowers [Re: chickadee]
Sadie Offline

Chick,
I am not sure what I am going to do . Here I am in my late 50's and want to work at something and not sure what , so I started taking classes . I have done office work and have not found a job . I went into Michaels or local craft store to pick up my supplies and saw so many silk flowers to work with .

My daughter said to me "Mom" keep your arrangment long enough so I can see what you have done . Haa.... We use wire to keep the flowers in the green foam if the stems are thin . You have to blance the flowrers in the arrangments . So , exciting . Keep you posted on my class tomorrow night .

Blessings, ''

Renee

#109461 - 02/28/07 05:47 PM Re: Floral Design / Silk Flowers [Re: Sadie]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Renee, I found the older Hubby and I get, the more sensitive we are to fresh cut flowers in a closed room. I always had so many flowers, but because of his allergy we now just buy artificial flowers. We love them, and change them regularly, so it has the same effect like fresh flowers. I can imagine that silk flowers must look beautiful. Have fun, and who knows maybe you can make an online career out of your new hobby!

#109462 - 03/01/07 01:05 AM Re: Floral Design / Silk Flowers [Re: Edelweiss]
Sadie Offline

Hannelore ,
Now my insturtor told the class that if you would like to have add fragrents to your arrangment you can spray a cotton ball with your favorite perfume and place the cotton ball in the middle of your arrangment . One thing you come out with a lot of helpful ideas in arrangment of flowers .

Oh, fresh flowers can really affect your allergies . Now lillies will do that to me in a close room . Some scented candles will do that also.

Keep you posted .

Renee

#109463 - 03/01/07 02:25 PM Re: Floral Design / Silk Flowers [Re: Sadie]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Thanks for the cottonball tip, Renee. I think Hannelore had a great idea to set up an online store for your creations. Good Job.

chick

#109464 - 03/02/07 03:21 AM Re: Floral Design / Silk Flowers [Re: chickadee]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Renee, I am so happy for you! I know you love flowers, and to photograph them. I took a class on floral arranging at Michaels. I am amazed at the quality of silk flowers. There's a lot of improvement over our parent's plastic fake flowers. If the moss hurts your hands, wear gloves. Creating the arrangement with color and vertical and horizontal variety is so much fun. Not to mention the various containers. This is a great hobby for you, and I too believe that someday you can make a web site to sell these creations. I mostly gave mine away, but sold a few lilly types during Easter and pointsettia during Christmas. Enjoy yourself!

#109465 - 03/02/07 05:22 PM Re: Floral Design / Silk Flowers [Re: Princess Lenora]
Sadie Offline

Oh, Thank you Lynnie ,
I did another arrangment last night and will take a picture of this one . Have a few ajustments to make , but will do that later . I have a couple of more classes and want to sign up for the floral design 2 , working with real flowers . I found working on these flowers very relaxing and calming . Will send a picture of my flower arrangment to you . Another class next week.... I just love it .

Blessings

#109466 - 04/17/07 07:49 PM Re: Floral Design / Silk Flowers [Re: Sadie]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Renee: Are you done with the floral course? I bet you learned quite a bit. It's really a good thing that your hubby takes interest in your creations. That must be encouraging! Above all, have fun and enjoy your creativity.

I love to work with flowers, but have learned mostly on my own. I've worked with both fresh and silk. I still have silk flowers at home, because I usually decorate our church's activity hall for different gatherings. I also do weddings and parties, complete with party favors and all the details such happening entail.

One of the things I enjoy is choosing from a variety of containers. I also like to look at some supplies and envision what I can create with them, etc. I have so much fun working with flowers!
NABBW & NAWW

#109467 - 04/17/07 07:57 PM Re: Floral Design / Silk Flowers [Re: Songbird]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Iworked for a florist for a couple of years and enjoyed every bit of it. The designers would teach me when it was slow and when it was busy sometimes I was handed a project to do. It can be a very exciting hobby/career.

Did you know there are national and worldwide competitions for designers? One of the men at the shop I worked at was in one while I worked there. He placed 3rd nationally. They have to plan their design within the guidelines of that year's competition, order the flowers, pack them--and keep them alive! Then build it on-site. They have to bring everything with them and they only have so much time to do the arrangment in. Very spectacular and amazing designs. Very large scale. There's a lot of drama too when flowers have wilted or gotten lost in transport....

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved