The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 110 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#201188 - 03/20/10 08:51 PM Germany, Czech, Denmark
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
After choosing not to go with my partner on his 2 last European trips within the last 3 years, I decided this year to do it. After looking at the bank account.

Chunks of the trip, is work-related for him since he's going to cycling conference in Copenhagen and wherever we go elsewhere, of course it will be looking at local cycling facilities. Nothing new to me since he does that anyway wherever we cycle in Canada and U.S.

So we will fly into Frankfurt and immediately take train to Freiburg. Then next few days will in southwestern part of Germany, a blend of cycling and hopping on the train with our bikes and panniers. It's just he and I. Probably spend 1 day going over to Strasborg in France.

Then go over to Czech Republic which will include Prague and another smaller city which has Rennaissance and baroque architecture. Will end up in Copenhagen. Slip over to sweden for 1 day...it's a suburban train ride over bridge from Copenhagen.

This is after considerable thought...but really, with dearie who knows a bit of German,already has been to Copenhagen before, it's a rare opportunity.

Any experiences/recommendations on restaurants, etc. are welcome. smile

#201191 - 03/20/10 09:44 PM Re: Germany, Czech, Denmark [Re: orchid]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
No recommendations, but many, many admirations to you for staying fit. I could not imagine, at any time in my life, cycling the way you do, let alone on a vacation. Have a fabulous time!

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#201193 - 03/20/10 10:14 PM Re: Germany, Czech, Denmark [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany

#201200 - 03/21/10 12:57 AM Re: Germany, Czech, Denmark [Re: Edelweiss3]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Hoping you have a wonderous and happy cycling time Orchid with your sweetie. I am glad he won't be alone since his accident. I bet he is thrilled to have you by his side.

How does it work with the bikes? Do you have to rent them wherever you are and then how do you leave them and get other ones for other countries? I always wondered how that would work.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#201205 - 03/21/10 03:51 AM Re: Germany, Czech, Denmark [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: chatty lady
Hoping you have a wonderous and happy cycling time Orchid with your sweetie. I am glad he won't be alone since his accident. I bet he is thrilled to have you by his side.

How does it work with the bikes? Do you have to rent them wherever you are and then how do you leave them and get other ones for other countries? I always wondered how that would work.

We are taking our bikes there. Hence, we are taking folding bikes which on trains and buses in Europe do not often get charged extra because folded up, it's considered as baggage. Besides it's easier for a shrimp like me to carry/lift the bike up and down rail steps. Conductors aren't around to help out between their frequently switching trains since train choice/frequency is extensive in several European countries. And sometimes there isn't much time for transferring from 1 train to another, so a person has to be not too slow.

Also to fly international airlines, it might be cheaper with a folded bike.

In some of the major European cities there are bike share systems which might be free for a 1/2 hr. or a small fee. Usually in centre of city. I wrote an article based on my partner's visits there and his contacts.
http://thirdwavecyclingblog.wordpress.co...void-some-pain/
Because I'm petite, I usually cannot fit an average sized bike for such bike share systems. (It appears 'average' to me ie. a woman around 5'4" or usually taller. I'm 5'1". That makes a difference on bike fit. I have shorter limbs.)

Yes, he's excited about having me along. We will visit his birth city in Germany (Karlsruhle) which he has visited several times before. Probably drop by to visit his frail uncle somewhere in the wine region nearby.

He even wonders if he'll be able to see the area where his father.....was shot in WWII in Czech. I seriously wonder about this because we may not have time if it's far from the cities where we are going, but he has the letter he has stored somewhere after all these decades. Letter was presented to his mother that confirmed the death. He was 4 yrs. old and with his mother on the day she was told. They were both still living in Germany before immigrating to Canada 3 yrs. later.

It's not a major priority for him--- only if the location is convenient in our travel plans. He doesn't remember his birth father at all. I'm sure Edelweiss understands what this means that for my dearie and that terrible time period, that really it's not the greatest priority since my dearie was so young as a little boy during WWII.

Dearie does have some vague memories of his life before immigrating to Canada in early 1950's. But the greater, stronger memories are of his journey by ship from Italy (family was told to board from that country at that time. He was seasick during whole voyage.) to Canada and later..

Already I found out that cycling particularily in Prague area is not exactly as safe..Not even as safe as even New York City. No bike lanes, etc. Not like the northern European countries which have some more cycling infrastructure.

After I leave Europe, I'm stopping to visit my family in Toronto on my way back home, while he stays for a few days cycling around in Denmark.

I look forward to great architecture, art, food, etc. Not sure what to expect since last time was in Europe over 20 years ago.

Edelweiss: Where on earth do you find such photos? laugh Is Berlin a huge, busy city with a teeny tiny historic centre? Not sure we could easily whip into Berlin for 1 day. I understand there is a metro/subway there.

Due to train transfers we are stopping briefly for a few hrs. in Nuremburg before continuing onward to Prague.

#201236 - 03/22/10 03:15 AM Re: Germany, Czech, Denmark [Re: orchid]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Orchid, its been many year since I've lived in Germany and visited Denmark and Czech. I know you'll have a blast! Wish I could fit in your bike basket. The museums are wonderful along with the food. Tivoli (I lov it) is cute, too. If you have time try to take the ferry over to Sweden, even just for a few hours. Enjoy the wine! I'm excited for both of you!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved