The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#181905 - 05/10/09 05:24 PM Do any of you travel alone?
Plains Woman Offline

Loc: Iowa
My husband is not a traveler. I've thought about traveling by myself but, as yet, haven't done it. I keep thinking I'm outgoing enough that I could fit in but I can also keep to myself with my book or whatever. My "girlfriends" either have husbands that also enjoy traveling so, of course, they go together or they are like my husband and prefer staying home.

Any ideas or suggestions? I do know enough to take a short trip first, like a 2 day bus trip or some such but just wondered if any of you women have just up and gone by yourself?

One of my concerns is when I get home I'll have no one to remember and rehash the trip with and that could really be a bummer.

Thanks!

#181915 - 05/10/09 06:18 PM Re: Do any of you travel alone? [Re: Plains Woman]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Plainswoman, joining an organized travel group might be worth a try. I would book a vacation, and often the hotels offer day bus trips with some theme. I found that singles are immediately integrated in the group.

#181922 - 05/10/09 07:39 PM Re: Do any of you travel alone? [Re: Edelweiss3]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I have done 1 day organized trips in North America only twice in my life so far. When I went to Europe we did a 10-day pkg. tour with hotel & bus but did our own stuff for 2 days prior to the tour and for 10 days after the tour (on our own in Paris, Belgium and Amsterdam).

I admit that I felt abit confined being on a bus tour in North America. But it was a faster way for me get around since I don't drive.

However I have done about 5 trips alone in North America in the last 25 years. Longest was 4 days long. (Trips were: Washington D.C., Cape Cod area including Nantucket Island, Chicago, Montreal) For myself, it was greatly desired the city that I was vacationing in, had an extensive subway system to jump around. Some of these trips were tacked on after a work-related conference.

I don't like being confined to a group of strangers and set itinerary for more than 1 day, when I know the language already.

I suppose it helps that I lived Toronto (and now VAncouver) which I used the subway and public transit system extensively for many years.

This was all before I met my partner.

But now....I just returned from beautiful 52 kms. bike ride by myself locally. I often ride alone. At this time, my partner is currently in touring and attending a conference in Europe. Today's bike trip also is a trip..for me. smile

Don't let fear stop you. The whole world awaits you to explore. smile

#181930 - 05/10/09 09:49 PM Re: Do any of you travel alone? [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Quote:
One of my concerns is when I get home I'll have no one to remember and rehash the trip with and that could really be a bummer.

Don't be a stranger. You can always come here and rehash it with us! One thing for sure, you'd find us keen to share your adventures. Where do you want to go?

#181933 - 05/11/09 12:38 AM Re: Do any of you travel alone? [Re: Lola]
Plains Woman Offline

Thanks for your encouragement ladies. I was sure there would be some here that have done single traveling and would say "go for it".

The U.S. and Canada to begin with Lola. I've visited almost all the states in the continental U.S. and I've been to Canada a number of times but usually with children in tow. I'm looking forward to doing some traveling w/o having to stop where there's a motel with a pool and pizza delivery. No children to consider would be a big plus at this age! smile

#181940 - 05/11/09 01:29 AM Re: Do any of you travel alone? [Re: Plains Woman]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Plains, I know a gal (50 years-old) who never married. She recently went on a bus trip in Canada and met her husband! I know you aren't looking to meet a mate, but she swears it's a wonderful way to travel because you have the safety an d camaraderie of the group. I'd try an overnight trip to a place not to far away just to see if you enjoy yourself. If it works, then try a three day trip and keep going from their based on how you feel and how much you enjoy yourself. It's worth a try.

#181998 - 05/11/09 11:31 PM Re: Do any of you travel alone? [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sounds like it could be fun but it could also be a disaster if you pick up a pest...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#182089 - 05/13/09 12:39 PM Re: Do any of you travel alone? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
The good thing about bus trips is there are always other people to connect with. I'm guessing it's the same with cruises.

#182224 - 05/14/09 10:25 PM Re: Do any of you travel alone? [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
In 2004 I took a 2-week driving trip to northern California. I've also done shorter trips by myself to various places. A bus tour doesn't appeal to me much but works for other folks.

When I'm driving and staying by myself, I prefer smaller AYH hostels to motels because I feel that people are looking out for each other. Plus, in the evening, you get to hang out in a common room and compare travel notes with everyone else.

Poet and essayist

#182239 - 05/15/09 03:24 AM Re: Do any of you travel alone? [Re: meredithbead]
Plains Woman Offline

What are AYH hostels and where do I find them? Sounds like something I might check into.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved