The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#131542 - 11/10/07 01:44 AM Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?"
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm very much a city girl. I love the sounds, the smells and the people.
I don't like small towns because of the nepotism, the gossip and those knowing everyone's business! Once, my sister who lives in L.A. was scared in a small town we went to for a wedding because it was too quiet! She thought we'd get jumped or something because it gets real quiet in the city when you might get mugged!
I just love the city so I live downtown in my city. I have a freeway going by the city near enought to see from my balcony.
I like cities at holidays, I've done nine Mardi Gras's, I like Vegas at holidays, and Chatty can tell you about the strip during one!

What are you and why do you like it that way?

(small towns are great to visit though.)

dancer

"Question your privilege"

#131543 - 11/10/07 03:27 AM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Tend to be a city gal. As a child I lived for the first part of life in a city approx. population of 30,000..and then over time, by sheer coincidence lived in bigger cities.

Over the past 15 years, I have cycled in long distance trips in Canada and U.S. and of course, we end up in small rural areas. Also have stayed with good friends for a few days in their home towns of 2,000 people.

My partner also was a weekend farmer and had a farm 100 kms. outside a city of 1 million people. So I did experience it for a few days... each time for 3 years before he had to sell it.

Admittedly I like the buzz of a city, diversity of things to do, wider range of people to meet. Minimally I would want to be in a town or city that had a college or university...to take courses, also such institutions tend to attrack a broader range of people to work and to study there. And from that, there is often an offshoot of businesses that stimulate different thinking, different ways of communicating, different expression of art, etc.

Just watching tv, reading books and the Internet isn't good enough to grow my mind.

#131544 - 11/10/07 03:50 AM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Being near cultural attractions -- theater, art museums etc. -- is important to me, as is the availability of organic and vegetarian foods.

Small towns often don't have all that. I've lived in two -- Columbia Missouri and Stillwater Oklahoma -- and felt very much the odd fish out. The attitudes were too homogeneous and provincial. Plus the food was awful.

I'm OK with small towns for vacation, but would rather live near a large population hub. We're in the 'burbs, but within short driving distance of whatever we want.

Poet and essayist

#131545 - 11/10/07 03:53 AM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: meredithbead]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
And if you haven't read it yet -- I have a poem called "City Girl."
http://www.placentialibrary.net/library/portals/0/city%20girl.pdf

Poet and essayist

#131546 - 11/10/07 03:53 AM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: orchid]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I like the conveniences of a big city, but the simplicity of a small town. I've lived in both. What I most liked about living in a small town was knowing everyone by name and everyone knowing me - and what I most dislike about living in a big city is that I don't know anybody and nobody knows me. My experience is that life in general tends to be so much more rushed, and so complicated by clutter, noise and "doing" that everyone forgets to just stop and be. I have to live life at my own pace, and that works in a small town, but in a big city, it just gets me lost and lagging behind everyone else.

I'd love to move to a smaller community, but to be honest, don't know if I could adjust now that I've lived so well-surrounded by all the conveniences of city-life.

(Maya Angelou)

#131547 - 11/10/07 07:50 AM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: Eagle Heart]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I was born in NYC and have always lived and worked in big cities. My children were raised in big cities as well.

Nearly nine years ago, my daughter got married and the couple decided to settle down and raise their family in the small town where my SIL was born and raised. Where they live used to be a former fishing village. Their subdivision is surrounded by farms and minutes away from a beach and a castle (in whatever state it is). I get to spend four days a week with them, which is a respite from the bustle of London (although where I live in the city is seven miles from the hub).

I appreciate the country, it's sights and sounds, village life and where all that benefit with raising my grandchildren. Community life still exists in my daughter's village. Although it struggles against economic threats of commercial giants and progress, small industries are still patronised. Dairy products are still delivered to the front door, meat from the butchers, bread from the bakers, fruit and veg from the greengrocer, and most wonderful of all, tea houses still exist. The closest MacDonalds is 12 miles away (thank goodness for that!). I find joy in the most simplest of things in the country like sitting by the Rath overlooking the haven and the marina with the grandchildren and watching the ferries from Ireland come and go. The event that we look forward to each year is the Eistedfodd...and the rugby matches, of course.

I love the city because it's lifestyle is familiar to me but, living in the country, albeit a few days a week, is something I have also grown to love. A small village in a country of folks proud of their identity. CYMRU AM BYTH. I have the best of both worlds.

#131548 - 11/10/07 02:50 PM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I like visiting the larger cities, but give me a small town any day. I don't like traffic. I'm spoiled by knowing a trip to Wally World will cost me about a hour or so out of my day. About 20 minutes there, shop till I run out of moola, then 20 minutes back home. I've lived in a small town (very small) and a large town (Birmingham) and I've found that getting into everyone's business (i.e., what others have said of the small town gossip chains, etc.) is alive and well in both. I think it probably spreads quicker in a small town because of radius....LOL!

As far as cultural things, I can drive into Huntsville, another twenty minutes, and get culture, if I want, or...even better, Krispy Creme donuts. Beats culture, hands down!

#131549 - 11/10/07 03:33 PM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: jawjaw]
Mountain Ash Offline

Living in a small place and appreciating it I balance life by really liking cities.The arcitecture the parks and art galleries are of interest to me.If travelling I get a guide book and look for small collections.In London just walking down Carnaby Street I think of the fashions of the sixties
Now more industries have closed like the jute industry there is a museum showing life past when the factories worked so hard.In LIverpool I saw Vivienne Westwoods collection the list goes on.I have all the palaces and castles here at home but a city visit stimulates me.
Mountain ash

#131550 - 11/10/07 04:01 PM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: Mountain Ash]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
A little big town gal, but love bieng away from my hometown in Tyrone and the relative autonomy that a city offers like lil' old Belfast. Now in London and loving it(even though I miss my family big time)..I live in the Eastend now which has a great community spirit and people get to recognise me pretty quick..and get to greeting me on sight. I suspect that when I am an established Jewellery designer in Ireland...then Vancouver could be a place to start over in??

So I guess that makes me a ciy gal.

Out of all my family...no one else has the same desire to get away from small town(small minds) life. I suppose they are happy and it is very rare that I would crave the need to be back there..all I need to do is visit for a weekend and I very soon remember why I chose not to stay...I end up sitting in a corner somewhere waiting for the 'mothership' to come for me..lol

Poppie
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#131551 - 11/10/07 06:36 PM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: Poppie]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
LOL Poppie,
The mother ship!
dancer

"Question your privilege"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved