The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 227 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#86486 - 08/28/06 06:37 PM Overseas Travel in these turbulent days
judym Offline

Loc: AL
Anyone out there been to Antalya, Turkey? Props to JJ for giving me good info on what and how to pack, since I have never been overseas. An upcoming trip is weighing heavily on me, especially now- you can take lipstick but not hand sanitizer in your purse, that is worrisome.I fly a lot statewise and am comfortable with that, but a solo flight overseas is worrying me some. I know that travel overseas is safer now that we are all apprised of the risks and the TSA is undertaking much broader screening, but I still have a lot of concerns. I guess it doesn't do well to put the worry ahead of the pleasure of the trip. DH is working overseas right now, in a sensitive place, and this trip means a lot to him (me too, but still trying to assuage the worries- we only manage to be together every 3 months, that is a total B****). All the requisite shots are being accomplished, and lists have been made to pack whatall - still fuming that makeup is banished to checkons, and the prospect of a 14 hr. flight without a freshen-up is daunting. If anyone has been to Turkey recently and has some info to share, I surely would appreciate it. We will be in Istanbul for 2 days then off to Antalya for several days. I know I shouldn't whine, this is an experience of a lifetime, but I am worried about the whole spectrum of the trip and would really appreciate any info from more worldly-wise folks out there. I guess I am too provincial to embrace the challenge! Give me some words of wisdom if you can! Thanks a bundle.

#86487 - 08/28/06 07:22 PM Re: Overseas Travel in these turbulent days [Re: judym]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Judy: I understand how nervous you must feel having to undertake a journey on your own on your first flight overseas and doing so under current circumstances. But, to help out with your nerves, please be assured that all outbound flights from the US would be strictly monitored and security would be at its highest especially so where it is bound for destinations such as Turkey. If you find your nerves rather frayed prior to boarding, it might help to speak to one of the crew who could offer some assistance and be your travel buddy for the duration of your flight. I was in Istanbul last year and despite their domestic problems, enjoyed a three-day stay. Tourism is an industry which is relied upon for revenues and the Turkish people do go out of their way to make visitors feel safe and enjoy their holiday.

#86488 - 08/28/06 08:04 PM Re: Overseas Travel in these turbulent days [Re: Lola]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Is there also a counterpart US agency you can contact, similar to the British Foreign Office here which advises on travel?

#86489 - 08/28/06 10:26 PM Re: Overseas Travel in these turbulent days [Re: Lola]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Hi
Have a GREAT trip.
yes, the US has a travel advisory center, but I don't know what it is called, to tell you the truth.
But, to help calm your fears, I travel quite a bit and have never had a problem. Sure, sometimes the lines are long and the searches extensive, but somehow I find all of that reassuring.
My sister flew 3 days ago into London, and she wrote and told me this lastest scare was no different than any other in the last few years.
I have not been to Turkey recently, but a good friend of mine returned from there a month ago. She loved it and said there was not problem one.
Enjoy every minute of the holiday. From the worries you have now, through the enjoyment of the actual trip and to the return and finding out how much you learned while on your trip.
Wish I was going with you.
Ann

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#86490 - 08/29/06 12:40 AM Re: Overseas Travel in these turbulent days [Re: Anno]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Say a prayer and enjoy the trip. Chances are the worrying your doing will be far greater than the actual happenings. I am a firm believer in the concept that 'if its my time to meet my maker, no matter where I am or what I'm doing, it makes no difference.' Take a good book, that helps the time go faster.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#86491 - 08/29/06 07:08 AM Re: Overseas Travel in these turbulent days [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Judy, I agree with Lola, I'd check a US. Embassy for Turkey.
This morning on the Newspaper's front page was a big article on bombings in a vacation area in Turkey. Turkey used to be a very popular vacation land for the Germans, but now the country is struggling in the tourist branch because of the Irak war, among other things. I hate to be the only downer here, but you asked...and I feel I need to tell you what's happening over there now. Maybe you can find more news about it in Google.
Here is one link that I found.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/29082006/356/warning-turkey-holidaymakers.html

#86492 - 09/13/06 06:37 PM Re: Overseas Travel in these turbulent days [Re: Edelweiss]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
Have to tell you all, the Turkey thing went by the wayside when things began happening there (we were to stay at that resort area the bombings were taking place in) . It just made me physically ill,learning about the strife there, and I am just not that brave. Just couldn't risk it, I want DH and I to ENJOY being somewhere (he works in Iraq and we only see each other every three months)- had to scrabble to reorganize, reschedule, and rebook- lost some money on it due to cancellations, but we are planning a trip to where I hope is a peaceful, easy-going place in Greece. I just want him to rest easy and enjoy relaxing...and to be with him! Hoping the best for there and keeping my fingers crossed- anyone out there been to the Greek Islands? Give me a shoutout if you can! Thanks for all your feedback and concern- it's a scary world we live in now but so good to hear from you all! Thanks again!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved