The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 229 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#185475 - 06/29/09 11:07 PM my kids friend also my border
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
I think I mentioned this before. I have a 17 year old border.
He rents a room and I include food for the price, a very good deal for him. He is a good kid, goes to school and works part time.
I had to move to a more expensive house. It was all I could find. With my border it is the same price as my last house, without him, I can't afford it.

His parents live in another city, long story. Anyway, he told me last night his Mom bought him a plane ticket, and he will be gone for all of July and August. He still has not paid me for June yet and he has one more day. As he only works part time I let him pay me when he has it but it has to be before the end of the month, that was the rule.

Anyway he dropped this on me last night and said his mother wants to know if he still has to pay rent while he is away. I was caught off guard but did say if I go away I still have to pay the rent. I said if he can't he can't but that now I have to cover the rent. He didn't say much after.

Now, what would you do? He had to quit his job as they won't hold it for two months so when he comes back he won't have any money to pay for Septembers rent. I am not to happy about this. He is good friends with my kids and I like him but he is putting me in a very difficult situation financially.

My Mom says I should tell him that he should ask his parents to pay 1/2 the rent at the least to hold the room. I am feeling kind of taken advantage of which is my MO.

Thoughts?

Kate

#185478 - 06/29/09 11:34 PM Re: my kids friend also my border [Re: katebcca]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I don't know what planet you live on, but on this earth whether we pay a mortgage or rent it comes due monthly whether we're there or not. If this kid doesn't pay June tell him to move his junk to a storage shed so you can get in a paying tenant. This is a nice arrangement but only if BOTH parties stick to the agreement. You are not his mother and his parents need to step up or he needs to stay where ever he is going to visit them. He may just come back in September and move as he will then own 3 months rent it you are silly enough to take Junes and nothing else.
Stay or go, his choice. Pay or move, your choice.

Kate you need to think of yourself, your expenses and your peace of mind.

If your kids complain tell them you'll be happy to take his share of the rent from them, on his behalf...

You may not like this answer but honestly, what other answer could there be? You are not a rich woman, as you've stated, and your rent will still need to be paid IN FULL, whether he helps or not.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#185479 - 06/29/09 11:57 PM Re: my kids friend also my border [Re: chatty lady]
katebcca Offline

Thank you Chatty,
Well said, I needed that :-)

Kate

#185486 - 06/30/09 07:12 AM Re: my kids friend also my border [Re: katebcca]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Chatty hit the nail on the head, again.

#185489 - 06/30/09 07:54 AM Re: my kids friend also my border [Re: Edelweiss3]
katebcca Offline

I spoke with him tonight. He is such a nice kid, really. I wish I could help him. He is from a war torn country and came to Canada through the Red Cross. Both his parents are poor and he wants to live and go to school in my city as he wants to better himself by getting a good education. Both his parents live in a small town in a house with lots of relatives, and have low paying jobs.

I admire him for staying in school and working so he can pay rent. He has been doing this since age 15. He moved in with me when he was 16 and just turned 17. He goes to school everyday, plays sports after school and works. My kids can learn a thing from him. He values education and knows how important it is.

So you see, I want to help him but I can't afford to.

Anyway he is going to talk to his parents. He says he will be working when he is away and will send me money. I asked for half the rent while he is not here.
Kate

#185552 - 06/30/09 08:33 PM Re: my kids friend also my border [Re: katebcca]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You can't be any farer than that Kate. Bless your kind heart but remember to take care of you. Best of luck with your situation.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#190581 - 09/26/09 03:04 AM Re: my kids friend also my border [Re: chatty lady]
katebcca Offline

Worked out well at least this situation has. Will write more in post about addicted son.
I have a new student and the old one found a place close by. He had it much better here as he is rooming with another guy, small place but it some ways better for him.
I have invited him for Thanksgiving dinner, ours is in October and he seems happy about that. He is on my new students soccer team so I left early from work the other day to watch them. Both of them are far away from their parents so I try to be there for them when I can. They are nice boys, both from spanish speaking countries so have that in common. My original student was not happy at first as the kid was in his room but he got over it ok.
I let him sleep on the couch for a week until he found another place.
I can understand how he felt, kind of replaced.
Anyway,I do what I can.
Kate

#190665 - 09/28/09 02:15 AM Re: my kids friend also my border [Re: katebcca]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Hope new boarder continues to be a good tenant. It would be good for them to experience thxgiving. Wonder if they have something equivalent in Spain.

How's your daughter doing?

#190680 - 09/28/09 05:53 PM Re: my kids friend also my border [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for the update. How nice of you to take an interest in their personal lives. I'm sure it keeps life interesting for you.

How are your children?

#190903 - 10/01/09 05:07 AM Re: my kids friend also my border [Re: Dotsie]
katebcca Offline

Thanks for asking, they are good. My son has major ADD so we are working with a doctor and have tried some medication. Both at least are going to school and my son is big into sports. He also works out every day which is a real positive. My daughter is wonderful. She is over the tough stage and is so nice to be around. She is excited about school this year as it's her last year. She has some catching up to do as last year she skipped alot of classes. The period at her Dad's didn't help but it was a good learning experience for her. She told me she was very depressed last year. We are great friends and she tells me she is so much like me, I think that is so cool as she said it in a good way.

I'm afraid my drug addict son is at it again but I am not enabling him but it has been a tough month.

He was in jail from this time last year until a month ago, got out and it only took one day for him to be on the street and into drugs again, this time heroin. Jail does nothing for them as a sentence under two years means they are just locked up, no counselling. It's actually better to get two years plus a day, then you get help as you go to a different type of jail, not just a holding place. It's only a matter of time until he is back in there. It's so sad as his health is really deteriorating and his brain has been quite damaged by all the drug use. Although I don't get my hopes up anymore, I still pray for him and love him from afar.

Kate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved