The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 133 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#169286 - 12/29/08 02:41 AM how to teach children gratitude
seek Offline

Loc: mother earth
i am just wondering how you actually teach someone to be grateful, or if something like that can even be taught.

i know very few people who are sincerely grateful people. it is too late to teach my kids . . . not saying that they are or are not grateful, i can't gauge that. thinking more about how to nurture that trait in my grandchild.

the grandchild is overscheduled and the culture teaches that kids receive from adults - hence no cards or gifts FROM kids to adults only TO kids from adults.

i don't think this is good but there is nothing i can do about it.

when i was a child, i took it upon myself to save money for christmas and bought something for everyone in my family. i am not sure where i got the idea i should do this.
be well,
and all manner
of thing
shall be well.

dame julian of norwich - 14th century - mystic

#169298 - 12/29/08 06:34 AM Re: how to teach children gratitude [Re: seek]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Over abundance kills gratefulness. If a child truly wishes something, and receives it after a waiting period, then the child experiences true gratefulness. But if you read every child's wish from his or her eyes and grant it immediately...than they take it for granted.
I agree that children should be raised with the joy of giving. If they never learn that, they have missed out on something wonderful.

#169308 - 12/29/08 01:08 PM Re: how to teach children gratitude [Re: Edelweiss3]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I also agree that children should learn to give at a young age. I remember getting so much joy from watching others open the presents that I purchased with my own money.

My nephew has always given gifts to adults. When he was a young boy, he and I always made a day of shopping and lunching so he could buy everyone presents. He would look at everything in Pier One to find just the perfect gift for his mother.

I do not have an idea of how to teach gratitude other than setting the example. And I believe expecting, at the very least, a please and thank you is important, too.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#169343 - 12/29/08 03:23 PM Re: how to teach children gratitude [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm all for the setting the example. Children learn what they live. In addition to setting an example, we need to tell them how to act in certain situations. I recall doing this when they were young teens, and they didn't appreciate it, but my flapping paid off. I wouldn't say anything in front of others, but after the situation was over, I'd say something to them when we were alone.

#169345 - 12/29/08 03:26 PM Re: how to teach children gratitude [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I think children need to learn to handle money. Wish I'd done
a better job of parenting that aspect of life.

That please and thank you issue is huge. I married into
a well-educated family. And yet MIL and WB don't use
please and thank you. I was raised by less educated dairy farmers; they taught me to say "please" and "thank you". And I do, do that!

Edited by jabber (12/29/08 03:30 PM)

#169355 - 12/29/08 05:10 PM Re: how to teach children gratitude [Re: jabber]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
I agree that gratitude has to be taught by example. Anticipating their every need and fulfilling that does not do them any favors.

We were taught to be grateful for what we received from our parents, etc. We also learned how to give while not expecting anything back.

I agree it's harder to do this in the society now what with all the demands put to the children that they simply must have this or that gadget to be 'like the other kids'. But I also was raised to say 'please' and 'thank you.'

This is a good question you posed Seek.
www.tidedancer.com

#169409 - 12/30/08 02:16 PM Re: how to teach children gratitude [Re: Sandpiper]
jabber Offline

seek,
Don't know if gratefulness is a teachable trait. Perhaps it's one of those inbred gene things. Saw on the news where a 7 or 8
year old girl gave half of her Christmas gifts to charity.
Maybe if we point out the less fortunate in the world that might
have an impact on youngsters' sensitivity. Then again, it could
take some living to look around and see various calamity. Other
folks' suffering sometimes makes us do an inventory of our own stock.

#169455 - 12/30/08 07:39 PM Re: how to teach children gratitude [Re: jabber]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I think that gratefulness is teachable..but best done from childhood onward and requires alot of patience, time.

It helps that significant adults in a child's world are consistently supportive of the child in a non-materialistic way. And that over time, a child learns that food, clothing...is just that. Only food, clothing to keep them alive..and provided by the parent(s). Teaching child some skills on self-suffficiency and how to create things, helps later if they are given by surprise, a similar item already made.

#169485 - 12/31/08 12:37 AM Re: how to teach children gratitude [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I think gratitude and appreciation comes from the heart but that said, I do feel we as parents can teach children to appreciate and offer thanks for the things they feel are important. Sometimes it takes and stays with them, and then other times its as if they were never taught anything at all! Go figure.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#169555 - 12/31/08 03:24 PM Re: how to teach children gratitude [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Again, I guess this comes back to teaching by example.
Good attitudes rub off on others. And little people are
more easily molded than older folks' already set in their ways.
Besides kids generally choose an adult they'd like to be
just like!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved