The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#145814 - 04/07/08 06:34 PM Another one graduating soon
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Our youngest child will soon be graduating from college with a BS in filmmaking. I'm afraid we are losing him to the Big Apple, which is actually far better than California. I am psyched because he is on fire for film and photography and plans on starting a business with a friend.

Do your grown children live in town. If not, how often do you see them? Mind sharing...

#145815 - 04/07/08 07:22 PM Re: Another one graduating soon
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
They grow up fast, don't they Dotsie? NY is surely better than CA as your son won't be so far. Almost like next door.

My son lives over a mile from me so, I see him quite regularly. However, since an attempted break-in at my home, he has decided to stay with me when I am in town and goes back to his place when I go to his sister's. He gets married in the late summer and I am going to have the house refurbished soon to a two-family home, which he and my future daughter-in-law will move into. Real cool.

#145816 - 04/07/08 09:12 PM Re: Another one graduating soon [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Good for your son, he is a go getter and will be one of those young millionaires one day. I would be sooo proud of him Dotsie, as I know you are.

Heck I'm proud as punch of my son and he's only a trucker, but I also know the effort he had to put forth to become one. The governmental paper work he has to do daily is astounding to me. He had to take a test last week in backing up the semi, 'blind.' All mirrors covered, using nothing but your instincts. He passed, but was nervous as a turkey in November.

Edited by chatty lady (04/07/08 09:13 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#145817 - 04/08/08 05:34 PM Re: Another one graduating soon [Re: chatty lady]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Chattylady..your son is living my dream..and he´s much better at it than I have ever been..even in my dreams!

WOW!!!! Blind..AWESOME!!!!

#145818 - 04/08/08 05:44 PM Re: Another one graduating soon
humlan Offline

Dotsie..yours truely in Sweden and my oldest living daughter in Pennsylvania, with her family..we see eachother about once a year..sometimes everyother year..depending on our finances. She´s more of a traveler than I am, I am ashamed to say..We keep in touch via the net..facebook actually. Fotos are great..or videos. They just bought a puppy..

However..my daughter has troubles with her sister and her brother..the 2 middle adult kids, who are living in Sweden. I think it´s because of differences in cultures..they just can´t seem to "meet". This is very painful, especially for my daughter in the States. She visits here and looks forward to meeting everyone..but it kinda ends in problems for everyone. Not easy..my daughter in the States misses out on what is happening here..she isn´t here for the "process" but still has her opinions..and this can lead to misunderstandings..unfortunately. And, of course, her sister and brother aren´t where she is at either. But we live much farther apart than you will..different countries, to start with. I still believe that blood is thicker than water...

#145819 - 04/08/08 06:00 PM Re: Another one graduating soon [Re: humlan]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lola, those are some grand plans. I had no idea. Look forward to hearing more. Tell us about the wedding plans.

chatty, how's he enjoying his work? Is his family surviving without him? I guess no one knowsmore about the price of gas than the truckers!

humlan, I had no idea you had a daughter in PA. That's very close to me. What part? HAve you children in Sweden visited her in the states?

#145820 - 04/09/08 09:09 PM Re: Another one graduating soon
Lola Offline

Everything is set for a late summer wedding, Dotsie. The ceremony will be held in the same Church where my future daughter-in-law was baptised and where she was confirmed. The wedding will be officiated by the same Priest who performed those ceremonies many years ago. He also gave them their pre-cana counselling. Future DIL attended the convent school next to it and we also expect some of her former teachers and the nuns to be in attendance. The convent was so gracious to offer their grounds for photo shoots immediately after the wedding ceremony.

My SIL will be head usher and all the sisters of my future DIL will be bridesmaids equal in rank i.e. no Maid of Honor as she could not favour one sister over the other. Members of both families had a hand with preparation for the wedding. After the couple have gone through the main points (finalising venues, dates, menus and numbers etc), the rest (especially the Moms) chased up the finer details as my son is often on call and my future DIL is preparing for graduation from med school. Her paternal grandmother did the beautiful calligraphy for the wedding's Order of Service. She will be wearing her maternal grandmother's veil and her mother's wedding gloves. I bought them their wedding rings.

There will be two receptions as is customary with the British. A sit-down morning tea and an evening cocktail/dance. The venue is a dreamy place with a lagoon, swans and ducks. We'll have lawn games and amusement of that sort for the children at the reception so they do not get bored with adult formalities. There will also be books as wedding favours for the children.

My sisters are coming and we expect 38 from our side of the family to be in the UK for the wedding (I'll have to hire a coach to get everyone to the venues in time!), the rest of the guests will be my son's future in-laws and friends of the couple.

As at this time, my grandson is taking up extra violin lessons as he has been asked to play "Sunrise, Sunset" in Church in place of the usual "Here Comes the Bride" As for the rest of the family, we're all taking up dance lessons next month to prepare a choreographed number for the evening do. A cracker of a surprise for the couple! We're also playing matchmaker with the Best Man and one of the sisters

#145821 - 04/09/08 11:37 PM Re: Another one graduating soon [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

What a delightful and uplifting post. You all seem so grounded in tradition and I just love that. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the morning, ceremony and evening festivities.

What kind of dance lessons and how many of you are taking them. That sounds like such fun.

How old is the grandson who will be playing the violin? At our big family wedding last summer, my niece, who is 30, played the violin for her cousin, my nephew, as everyone proceeded. It was beautiful. It added a real sentimental touch and feeling to the beginning of the ceremony. Their service was in an outdoor cove surrounded by trees.

#145822 - 04/10/08 06:22 AM Re: Another one graduating soon
Lola Offline

The grandmothers want line dancing. So, any of the guests can join the families if they would like to and easily follow the steps. So, we might do that. The younger members of the families sob at the thought. They'd rather do the Crank!

My grandson is nearly 8, Dotsie. I forgot to mention that my granddaughter will be the flower girl.

Both mothers are not keen to wear hats. So, that's one tradition that we'd probably be breaking.

#145823 - 04/10/08 04:27 PM Re: Another one graduating soon
humlan Offline

Dotsie..my daughter lives outside of alittle town called, Bryn Athyn..my grandchildren have not visited her in the US as it costs alot of money..which we just don´t have. But I m thinking about bringing my oldest grandson for a visit to the US sometime fairly soon. I am not that good of a traveler either..but I want to make the effort..when I have the money

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved