The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 160 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#116309 - 04/23/07 03:15 PM Emptying the well within
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I blog at www.boomerbabesrock.com every Monday. I rarely post my blogs here, but I thougth I would today so here you go:

Emptying the Well Within

When the kids visit - then leave - I cry. It happened again yesterday. Our youngest was home for a week. We gathered with family and friends, watched movies, and shared lunches and dinners. He showed me his photos and videos on his laptop, and let me listen to his friend’s music on his computer. He had his buddies here for a cookout. They laughed and carried on sharing their own college stories. He had lunch with his sister and Pop-Pop, since he hadn’t been around for Pop-Pop’s birthday. He opened his heart and gave me a peek into his college life. He’s happy. He’s learning awesome stuff about filmmaking, he’s growing, and he’s having the time of his life. He’s here – and he’s gone.

As he leaves for the airport with Ross, I suck it up and in, hug him tightly, tears welling, squeak out a few words, bravely wave, make sure they’re out of sight, enter the house…and empty the well within.

I’m blessed. The only time I really cry these days is when my kids leave. The tears roll for the times we’ve had, their futures, their safety, my love for them, and then everything else enters in. Tears roll for all the injustice in the world, for my friends who have lost brothers or mothers, friends who are caring for loved ones with cancer, or trying to raise teens that will grow in to respectful young adults, but feel they are running in to a brick wall. The tears stream endlessly. I sob. My dog looks and cocks her head at me as if to say, “What’s wrong?” I empty the well with crumbled tissues surrounding me.

Trust me; I’m happy for the kids. I’m tickled at their independence. I’ve raised them to be independent, and I’ve known they belong to Him first. I’ve prayed for their independence, but now that it’s here, it hurts, especially when they leave.

Do you cry when your kids leave? Does it ever stop?

The tears are gone. My face is dry.

I celebrate because he’s safely in his college nest and because Ross and I are in our empty nest.

Life is as it should be and I’m grateful again.

Edited by Dotsie (04/23/07 03:44 PM)

#116310 - 04/23/07 06:07 PM Re: Emptying the well within
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
That's a great story Dotsie. Yes, we can't help but shed tears when our children leave. I think it's harder for mom's than dad's.

Laurel

#116311 - 04/23/07 08:52 PM Re: Emptying the well within [Re: Laurel]
Mountain Ash Offline

Yes I cry..
Mountain ash

#116312 - 04/23/07 09:42 PM Re: Emptying the well within [Re: Mountain Ash]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Beautiful words and feelings Dotsie....

Me I cry when my children are too busy in their daily lives to come home and visit. I miss them so!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#116313 - 04/24/07 08:41 AM Re: Emptying the well within [Re: chatty lady]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i can well imagine how hurtfull and proud you get at the same time.

#116314 - 04/24/07 09:23 AM Re: Emptying the well within [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thanks for the kind words ladies.

#116315 - 04/24/07 06:03 PM Re: Emptying the well within
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Dotsie, I cry. Reading your post made me well up. I always thought Mom was an old softie when I'd see her eyes watery yet her face smiling. She's wave and cover her mouth. I know only now how she felt. My Dad cried his heart out when I first left home. He didn't show it when I was leaving but Mom told me about it much later in life. I'd have never known if she hadn't let out the secret.

#116316 - 04/24/07 09:49 PM Re: Emptying the well within [Re: chickadee]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I cried the first time our sons left the house. But then they kept coming back. Especially our younger son would come back till he was about 25 ... I hate to say this...but I felt like crying when he did. His room looked like a tornado went through it, within the first minute of his arrival. He was usually anti- social, and just grunted his good mornings and good nights. He left a trail of messes behind him wherever he went. I think it was because he resented being back home; and took it out on us.

Dotsie you are so very blessed to have a son that still shares so many things with you. I can understand you missing him. I would have bawled too, if he left our house.

#116317 - 04/25/07 02:32 AM Re: Emptying the well within [Re: Edelweiss]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
My situation was a little different. I had been divorced for a while and into a new life. My son left and it was just my daughter and me for a while. When I met Dick, I was home less and less. My daughter pretty much had the house to herself and loved it. I came home to catch up and do laundry. Then my son moved back home. By then, I was living with Dick but still maintained my home.

Eventually, Dick and I got married and I really moved out, but still kept the house with both kids in it. (It's a two family. I kept it for income property and for the kids to have a place to live.) My daughter got married 11 months after I did. (It was fun. We shopped for wedding dresses together, photographers, etc.)

When she moved out, it left my son there. I don't think he had empty nest. He loved it. I kept the house a couple more years so he had a place to live. He paid rent and took care of the place. When he could manage it, I sold the house to him. I really didn't want the hassle anymore. So, I never really experienced empty nest, since I left before the kids.

#116318 - 04/27/07 09:07 PM Re: Emptying the well within [Re: Louisa]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Chick, sounds like Dad was a softie.

Hannelore, I also think some kids end up home as a last resort. I'm sure that doesn't make for happy campers.

Louisa, I bet your son didn't have the empty nest. What a hoot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved