The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 182 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#112052 - 03/21/07 01:34 PM Runaway
dejavu Offline
journeyman

This board always has such good advice - I'm hoping someone here can help me know what to do and how to help.

My sister's 18-year-old daughter, who has already been diagnosed manic-depressive and is on meds, has run away. My sister found out that she and her 18-year-old boyfriend have been skipping school, enough to threaten their graduation. She confronted her daughter about it (In the presence of her daughter's shrink) and took her daughter's car keys and cell phone away from her.

The daughter found another key and took the car and disappeared. We're sure she got hold of her boyfriend and believe they've run off together. My sister contacted the police to file a runaway report and, if she wants to, can report the car stolen which should help find the runaways. She's not sure she wants to go that far - yet.

The mother of the boy has gone incommunicado - didnt' even go home last night, apparently, after she heard that the police had been called. That's a mystery and worries us.

The boy did not have a car, so we do believe they're traveling in the daughter's car (which belongs to my sister).

My niece has been a problem for quite a while, very belligerant, doesn't seem to care about her mother at all. My sister is not a perfect mother. She's not a BAD mother either. But I don't think they are able to communicate very well. Certainly not for the last couple of years, which does often seem par for the course for mothers and daughters. I didn't communicate well with my DD#2 when she was that age.

I guess what I'm asking is, since both the girl and boy are over 18 (but not graduated yet) - what options does my sister have? Her daughter doesn't have access to any money. She had about $40 cash and a gas credit card, that's all. He doesn't probably have much cash either.

What can parents do when the situation gets this bad? We don't think the daughter uses drugs, but she did leave without her meds, so will probably get pretty manic for a while and then maybe crash. She has a history of cutting herself and making 'sorta' suicide attempts - taking pills and then immediately telling someone about it. She's been hospitalized once for doing this but spent her whole time in the hospital happily flirting with one boy there.

The bi-polar issues are familiar to me (I have a different sister who is bi-polar) and, of course, they complicate everything. Especially if the niece stays unmedicated for long.

Any advice would be welcome.

#112053 - 03/21/07 02:32 PM Re: Runaway [Re: dejavu]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Sometimes kids have to hit rock bottom to make them wake up and realize what they had. It must be very hard on your sister not knowing what is going on. It is absolutely mean and egotistical of her daughter to not have even left a note.

How badly does your sister need the car? If it's a question of her own existence being threatened, like having to drive to work and such…then yes, I would report it as stolen.

I'm not sure about the laws in America. In Germany when a child turns 18…the parents have no more say. The irony is, the parents still have to support their kids, though, till they can support themselves.

What does the doctor say about the situation?

#112054 - 03/21/07 02:56 PM Re: Runaway [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Lots of issues going on here, morally and legally. I'm not sure which part you've asked about, so I'll tread carefully until I understand more.

If she is 18, she knows wrong from right. And being bi-polar, she knows she needs to be taking the meds. This 18-year old is making radical decisions and has no regard for the Mother. It can only get worse without the meds, or possibly, I should say.

She has to be held accountable for her actions at some point. If it were my child, I think I would report the car stolen BECAUSE I would want to know where she was and if she was okay. Right now, without sitting and hoping for the best, I think it would be my only alternative.

If she was arrested, then at least I would know she was safe and could force her to take the meds. Or at least try. Because she is OFF of the meds, her thinking is not clear MAYBE??? I have to say that this would be a heavy factor in my actions but really, what other options does the Mom have, other than sitting and wringing her hands? Of course if she is arrested, she'll have that record from now on and because she is an adult, what are the penalities? I would have to know that before I made that decision.

There is always more background than what you've given here ... things leading up to her behavioral changes, life, situations, etc., so giving a lump answer is hard to do without knowing them personally.

But I will tell you this. I do believe in tuff love. At some point your sister needs to think about HERSELF as well. Our children can make us crazy with worry, they can break out hearts. We have to love them enough to make them responsible for their actions.

I sincerely hope she comes home safe and sound. My heart aches for your sister because it is very easy for me to put myself in her place. I was one of the lucky ones as my own push the envelope when they were young, but came out on the other side unscared and safe, and as responsible young men. Thank you God! So I empathsize with her.

#112055 - 03/21/07 03:35 PM Re: Runaway [Re: jawjaw]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

Yes, I think my sister will stick to her guns on the subjects that matter most - the lying has to end and the daughter has to do her best to finish school. She is still debating about reporting the stolen car - I think if the daughter doesn't show up or contact her in the next 24 hours, that will probably be the way Sis goes. (My sister does not need the car for her own transportation.)

Hannah, yes, that's part of the problem, since both kids are over 18, legally there's nothing other than reporting the car that my sister can do.

Even if my niece comes back home (which hopefully she'll eventually do, seeing as she has no money), I don't know how my sister is going to compel her to go to school. She can drive her there, of course, but there's no way to make sure she stays. Taking control of the car is really all my sister can do - and when and if she gets hold of it, she's prepared to warehouse it so that if the daughter has made more keys, they won't help her take it again.

Having lived with my bipolar sister (who's now over 50 and actually pretty stable), we know that we have to be understanding and yet also hold the niece accountable for her actions, including her decisions at times for not taking her meds. It's just really hard watching her make these wrong decisions, potentially life-ruining decisions.

#112056 - 03/21/07 04:45 PM Re: Runaway [Re: dejavu]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Of course its hard! Oh yes, very. You love her and want only the best for her. How hard this must be on all of you. I will hold you close in my prayers, dear friend. This road is a hard one to travel.

#112057 - 03/21/07 09:31 PM Re: Runaway [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Oh my. I'm so sorry your niece is putting all of you through this? I have a feeling she will not be gone long. She has no money, right? I would definitely speak with her doctor to see if he/she has any insight. Has she done that? Geez, I wonder if the doctor can tell her anything if the daughter is over 18. Anyone know?

#112058 - 03/21/07 11:40 PM Re: Runaway
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i got nuthing of value to add over and above what has been added but i just wanted to write and let you know i am supporting you all....its such a harbraking situasion...when she dose come home, when monie and gas run out, it still gonna be preetie trickie so i hoping for a calming influences for your aidd.

#112059 - 03/22/07 12:03 AM Re: Runaway [Re: celtic_flame]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Dejavu, my heart is pouring out to you and your sister, as well as your neice right now. This is a lose-lose situation, no one can be at peace right now.

I know nothing to help you at all. I do suggest finding out about the legal issues if she is gone longer than a day or two.

I pray that everything finds a win-win resolution for everyone.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#112060 - 03/22/07 01:35 AM Re: Runaway [Re: Anno]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

My niece is home, at least for the moment. My sister found her over at the boyfriend's house. HIS mother knew they were there and never called my sis. I don't understand that. I mean, if a friend of one of my children showed up at my house and said they'd been fighting with a parent and wouldn't go home, I'd let them stay, but I'd insist on at least notifying the parent. Sometimes it's good to have a cooling off period. But I don't think that's what happened in this case.

Anyway, my niece is home. Still acting high and mighty, not speaking, locking herself in her bedroom, and my sister is not handling it very well, pretty much locking herself in her own room. I'm stunned with the whole thing.

#112061 - 03/22/07 01:52 AM Re: Runaway [Re: dejavu]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Well, at least she is safe and unharmed. Bless your heart and everyone involved. What a hard situation to be in.

I will pray for guidance for your sister, and for the daughter's heart to soften. And for peace for all of you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved