The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5169 - 02/06/06 10:51 PM college searching
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I have two high school seniors. We have been looking at colleges off and on since last spring.

I am happy to share that all of their applications are in and they are now playing the waiting game.

Remember those days with your kids, or are you still experiencing them?

#5170 - 02/06/06 11:21 PM Re: college searching
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
Yes, Dotsie, I remember those days! I don't know who the waiting is harder on, the parents or the kids.

My daughter applied to several schools, was accepted at 3 and didn't actually make up her mind until we forced her to by telling her if she didn't tell us by morning which school she had picked, we would choose for her. An hour later she announced she would be going to Cornell.

Her brother made it easy on us by applying early acceptance to the school he knew he would attend if he got in. He went there for a weekend in October as a guest of the track team and told us when we picked him up that this was the college he wanted. He bought a school shirt at the college store, which he put away and said he wouldn't wear until he was accepted. On the first of December, he came into the house with the mail, rushed into his room and came out wearing is new shirt and the biggest grin you'd ever see. That's how he told me he was going to Williams.

It's hard to believe he's having his fifth year college reunion in June.

I'll be happy to hold you hand through this and try to answer any questions you have. It's an ecxiting but nerve-wracking time.

#5171 - 02/07/06 09:37 AM Re: college searching
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
My Baby is in her Junior year in college this year Dotsie...the last of 4 kids....I enjoyed each of the college searches...they were exciting and interesting...I was pretty lucky because none of my kids waited until the last minute to make their final choices...of course...I (tactfully?) nudged them along by reminding them the longer they took to decide the slimmer their chances became of getting the dorm they wanted...somehow it worked...my youngest daughter is already fretting about college being almost over...she is a cheerleader at St Joesph's University and will be cheering at the game which will be televised tomorrow night on ESPN2 against Villanova as part of "Rival Week"...it's pretty exciting for all of us...it sounds like you have so much fun with your kids...you're going to have fun with them all through college too I'm sure...enjoy!!!

#5172 - 02/08/06 08:06 AM Re: college searching
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Blondi, oh gosh, can we see yourdaughter on TV? How cool.

For some reason I don't fret this time like some parents do. I figure there are tons of colleges. They'll surely get in one. We've been through this with our son who is a junior in college. He loves his school. I figure if the other two like theirs as much, we will have struck gold.

I am the prayer warrior for this time in their lives. I'm simply praying they end up where the good Lord wants them. And if they don't like it, they can always transfer.

NHJ, a good friend of the family is at Cornell now. He loves it.

#5173 - 02/08/06 08:07 AM Re: college searching
AvalonBlondi Offline

You are exactly right Dotsie....say lots of prayers and always give the kids a safe place to fall and the rest will take care of itself....and I have your same philosphy about college...."if you don't like it...you can always transfer"...it gave my kids alot of confidence going in knowing we felt that way....

And yes...my daughter was on tv lots of times tonight...her Dad and brother went to the game...I stayed home and taped it...and one point before half time they got a close up of her and she mouthed "hi Mom" to me....I almost cried she looked so pretty....can't help it...I'm one of those sappy Moms ....Good luck with your kids this year...I can't wait to hear which schools they choose and follow your excitement....such a great time in thir lives and our lives too.... [Smile]

#5174 - 02/09/06 08:46 AM Re: college searching
NHJackie Offline

Nancy,

I love what you said. Giving your kids a safe place to fall. It's something we've always done, but I never thought to put it into such beautiful words.

I know what you mean about being a sappy Mom. I cried through Ed's entire thesis presentation last year. Tears of joy, but I couldn't stop them. Like all kids, mine have stubbled sometimes. But they've always been a source of joy to their parents.

#5175 - 02/09/06 08:52 AM Re: college searching
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Oh Nancy that is SO sweet! I love when kids do the "Hi Mom" thing. Bill Cosby did a funny skit about it years ago. It's about how dads spend all this time teaching their boys a sport, working with them, coaching them, going to all the games, etc. The boy gets good and he's in college and they braodcast the big game. The dad is swelling with pride as the camera zooms in on HIS boy and the kid says "Hi Mom!!". [Razz] [Confused]
Of course, it is much funnier when Cosby says it.

#5176 - 02/09/06 07:01 AM Re: college searching
AvalonBlondi Offline

Jackie...I love that you cried through your son's thesis...I bet he did too...I love my kids so much it hurts...but a "good hurt" ....you know what I mean?

Bluebird...thanks for reminding me about that Cosby bit...I'm going to tell my husband that one when he comes home tonight... [Wink]

#5177 - 02/09/06 09:56 PM Re: college searching
NHJackie Offline

Nancy,

Actually, there wasn't a dry eye in the place. For his architectural thesis, Ed designed a cancer treatment and wellness center. He dedicated it to "my mome and dad, who are still here." Everyone there knew Chuck and I are both cancer survivors. And the fact that we were there at all was a miracle. My husband almost died after surgery last year, and none of us ever expected him to be able to make the trip to Seattle. I was never hugged by so many strangers in my life.

'Good hurt' comes in a lot of forms. This was one of the best for us!

#5178 - 02/09/06 09:57 PM Re: college searching
NHJackie Offline

Nancy,

Actually, there wasn't a dry eye in the place. For his architectural thesis, Ed designed a cancer treatment and wellness center. He dedicated it to "my mom and dad, who are still here." Everyone there knew Chuck and I are both cancer survivors. And the fact that we were there at all was a miracle. My husband almost died after surgery last year, and none of us ever expected him to be able to make the trip to Seattle. I was never hugged by so many strangers in my life.

'Good hurt' comes in a lot of forms. This was one of the best for us!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved