The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 227 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#5282 - 03/28/06 08:36 AM Seeking Age 16+ advice
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Ok, here's the situation...

DH had a son from his 2nd marriage. I've never met this son in the nearly 10 years we've been married. DH has not seen him in 15 years. He was adopted by his step-dad.

Anyway, just last week DH receives a phone call that his son wants to meet him. The young man phoned on his own.(this is a Praise to me!!)

Anyway, DH and I have no clue as to what 16 yr olds are about. Can anyone give a hint of what to expect?

Thanks!

[ March 28, 2006, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Di ]

#5283 - 03/28/06 06:13 PM Re: Seeking Age 16+ advice
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Di, most 16 year olds think life is all about them. They like to party, some are into sports and of course girls. But I would not go into this new relationship with any sort of expectations. The fact that he searched out his father tells me that he has a deep side.

I wish you the best!

Daisygirl

#5284 - 03/29/06 08:50 AM Re: Seeking Age 16+ advice
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Di...this is such a blessing for your husband and you...I hope it goes well....

#5285 - 03/29/06 02:44 AM Re: Seeking Age 16+ advice
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Daisy hit it on the head. They are into themselves...whihc is why he's searching to know and understand himself better.

Please keep us posted. I'd love to be a spy on the wall for the reunion. I love stories like this.

#5286 - 03/29/06 02:53 AM Re: Seeking Age 16+ advice
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
My 16 year old is into skateboards and green tea!
Basically they are self centered but they do want love and acceptance - they don't always know how to show it because they can be very shy at that age.
Very happy for you and your husband, Di!

#5287 - 03/29/06 05:44 AM Re: Seeking Age 16+ advice
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Di, meet and greet this young man with an open heart and open mind. Let him show and maybe tell you what he is about, what he needs and what he is looking for from a relationship with his dad. Going in with preceived notions of all 16 year olds being the same is dangerous. They may actually only have one thing in common, they are 16 and thats it. I had two boys both as different as day and night at that age. Just take it slow and listen to what he has to say. Good luck for a happy reunion.

#5288 - 03/29/06 06:13 AM Re: Seeking Age 16+ advice
Di Offline

No second phone call as yet. DH said, that when he spoke w/him, he sounded like he was nearly in tears.

All these years, he's known he's had another Dad. DH's two oldest (from another marriage) always had communication with him. But the BM,for some strange reason, did not want communication between my DH and the youngest son.
I'm listening to radio shows about "raising today's adulescent"..quite interesting.

Apparently they still need parents! That the brain is not really at fullest potential until at least age 21.

Not sure what is going on, but his Mom does know he called,which is the first question DH asked. He does not want him to have problems with the other family.

#5289 - 03/30/06 11:27 PM Re: Seeking Age 16+ advice
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Based on your story, I would guess that he may be having difficulty with his mom and step-dad right now, and he's looking for "something else".

I remember at that age I wished I was adopted so I could meet my "real" parents, who would be much nicer and cooler than the ones I was stuck with.

Keep an open mind, and if you get to meet him, do not instantly jump in to solve his problems. Remember that you'll be hearing his side of things only, and it could be that his family is doing everything right for him, but he just doesn't see it.

Be kind, be loving, stay in touch with him now that he's made this step. Good luck!

Kathy

#5290 - 03/31/06 09:56 AM Re: Seeking Age 16+ advice
Di Offline

Thanks! Well, DH will not initiate a call back to him. Apparently, his son said he'd get back w/him. DH does not want to make his life incomfortable.

But, I'm so anxious to meet this handsome young man! I cannot imagine how DH will feel seeing a son who was a product of a marriage gone bad about 15 years ago.

#5291 - 04/01/06 01:01 AM Re: Seeking Age 16+ advice
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Rick and June, that's so funny. My daughter is adopted and told me on one occasion that she wished she could be with her adoptive mother. I took no offense and told her ethat when I was her age I wished I had been adopted!

Di, keep us posted. I'm sure this will be a little bit of a head-trip for your husband. I'm sure you'll stick by him for support.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved