The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 194 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4460 - 06/16/05 04:21 PM Adult Children/Life Shift
NancyB Offline

Loc: Georgia Mountains
Morning, ladies! Just got back from spending three days with my almost-25 y/o son in his new condo (husband's been on a business trip). Interesting experience to be a "guest" in my son's house; visiting him in college and grad school apartments was different. He's just bought the place and needed "help" with decorating so we installed blinds and curtain rods and hung pictures and organized his pantry. I guess the whole visit reinforced my sense that family dynamics have changed...again...but it was wonderful to realize that I'll have a great, adult-to-adult relationship with him for the rest of our lives. Sigh. Hard to believe this young man is the same person as the little boy in elastic waist shorts who brought me Queen Anne's Lace he'd picked from the roadside. Overall, feeling relieved and pleased. What have been your experiences with this sort of life-shift?

#4461 - 06/16/05 04:41 PM Re: Adult Children/Life Shift
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
NancyB. my daughter is a Chiropractor and when I visited her last fall, I made an appointment at her office to have an adjustment. Adjustment is an understatement. Here was my little girl in her establishment surrounded by spine models, large beautifully framed certificates, and all kinds of contraptions(?). She was so professional that I forgot for a minute that I was her Mom. She asked me questions and checked my bones and adjusted me to the point of groaning pleasure.

On my way out, in front of a room full of patients she introduced me as her Mom, hugged me said Bye Mom, I love you. I was sooo proud.

Adult to adult as you spoke about in your post is a different experience. Seems you and I have both been blessed in ours.

chick

#4462 - 06/16/05 05:37 PM Re: Adult Children/Life Shift
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
My 22 year old son's friends are visiting us from NY. The same boys that I served Kool-Aid to when they were 6. The first shock was that they are men now. We sat at the table and had a real conversation. These are the same boys who ignored me when they were 12 and I served them Hot Cocoa after a hockey game. We had dinner and they thanked me and complimented me. These are the same boys who used to eat ice pops on my front porch and throw the wrappers into the bushes. I have to say that I am proud of how well these boys, all of them, son included, have grown and matured into fine young men who have manners and intelligence and good jobs!

When they were younger there were times that I'd get so angry at the messes they'd all create that I couldn't wait for them to leave my house. Go play somewhere else, I'd want to scream. When they leave this time, I'm going to have tears in my eyes!

I was definitely the "Kool-Aid Mom" of the neighborhood, when my kids were younger. Mine was the house where they'd come to play everyday and make their messes. Personally, I think it has paid off!

#4463 - 06/16/05 05:54 PM Re: Adult Children/Life Shift
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Owning a Dairy Queen, I was the mom all the kids wanted to visit because I would bring the "mistakes" home. The little boy next door used to wait for me outside on my driveway with a big smile on his face.

My youngest is getting married in September. This is my baby! I can't believe it.

#4464 - 06/16/05 06:40 PM Re: Adult Children/Life Shift
NancyB Offline

Loc: Georgia Mountains
Ah, yes! Being ignored by middle-school age sons, cleaning up gargantuan messes after cookout/sleepovers in the backyard, piles of soggy towels in the back seat of the car after picking them up from the pool. We went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago (son #1 was a groomsman) of a young man we'd known since kindergarten. As I sat there watching him and his buddies look so serious and grown up in their tuxedos, I had a mental overlay of the same bunch nearly 20 years ago--standing in a line on our front porch, each peeing over the gardenia bushes and onto the walk. What a sight to see as I pulled into the driveway (hubby was supposed to be "watching" the boys, of course!)

#4465 - 06/16/05 08:29 PM Re: Adult Children/Life Shift
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I realized my children were grown up when they had grown up issues to deal with. Working, paying bills. My oldest daughter hasn't been able to conceive and she and her husband are talking about adopting a baby. You can't get more grown up than that!

My middle daughter is getting married in November. Seeing her in her wedding dress made me realize she was all grown up and a beautiful young woman.

My son works hard and is successful. He has plans to become a fireman.

They're definitely not babies anymore. I'm very proud of them.

#4466 - 06/16/05 11:30 PM Re: Adult Children/Life Shift
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What is my problem? I have tears in my eyes just reading your posts. I guess because I've always been a stay at home mom it brings me joy to see the benefits (not always a given). I'm so happy for all of you and pray you always see the blessings in your family.

Vicki, I can't wait to hear more about the wedding.

Nancy, aren't you happy he asked you to help. That's awesome.

TVC, does your son miss their friends from NY?

Chick, I love the added touch when you were leaving her waiting room. Warm fuzzies!

Three cheers for all the Kool-Ade moms!

My youngest two just finished their junior year in high school. We're gearing up for big changes soon.

My oldest made it back to school from Europe yesterday, is doing his laundry, packing up, and driving home tomorrow. I can't wait to lay my eyes on him. I'm smiling already.

[ June 16, 2005, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#4467 - 06/17/05 12:01 AM Re: Adult Children/Life Shift
TVC15 Offline

My oldest really misses his old friends. Most of them have been friends since 1st grade but with the help of the computer and Game box live, they stay close and he's been "home" several times since we've moved. This is their first visit here. My youngest is in a different situation, most of his old friends have moved out of state as we did, but to different places. again, the computer helps alot. (and cell phones!) His best friend came last summer and is planning another trip this year.

#4468 - 06/17/05 03:04 AM Re: Adult Children/Life Shift
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I was the mom that all the boys came to when they made a mistake or had a problem and wanted me to run interference for them with their parents (some old habits die hard)They all hung out at our house and I fed most of them. Now I am so very proud to see what a wonderful parent my son is to his 3 children and how all his kids friends love him and hang out at their home too. Recently 2 of his friends came to town looking for work and stayed at my home for a week, it was like old times except these once grubby gangly young boys are now handsome well groomed articulate men. They still call me Ma... [Big Grin]

#4469 - 06/17/05 04:38 PM Re: Adult Children/Life Shift
TVC15 Offline

Chatty, Isn't it great to see their friends all grown up. I feel almost like they are my own children, I've known them since they were babies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved