The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 214 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#3905 - 03/20/04 04:13 PM letting go
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
My son has been home for spring break this past week and now it's time for him to leave again!
[Frown] Please tell me this gets easier with time. [Wink] He's the oldest and first to go. This is a new heartbreak for me.

#3906 - 03/20/04 05:01 PM Re: letting go
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Dotsie,
Try concentrating on the blessing that he is happy, healthy, and has the opportunity to expand his mind. While I know it's difficult to see him leave, try to focus on all the "good" that is going on in his life; of which, dear friend, you are soooo responsible! Hope this helps. And if it doesn't, I will be happy to send son #2 to sit in. What?

JJ

#3907 - 03/22/04 03:33 AM Re: letting go
Dotsie Offline
Founder

JJ, you are so right. There are times I can do that and others where it all goes out the window and I sulk! Depends on the mood. Yesterday I was PMSing and I tend to get sentimental during those times. Thanks for breaking up my pity party! I needed it! [Wink]

I'm not ready for #2 son yet, but thanks for the offer! [Razz]

#3908 - 03/25/04 05:49 AM Re: letting go
smilingthrulife Offline

Loc: Baytown, Tx
I feel your pain. My son now has been gone and out on his own now for 3 years. I had a very hard time. I only have one son/one child and my husband (2nd marriage) and I were going through some very tough times. I was miserable without my son. I missed him so bad. But realizing over time that alot of the friction between my husband and I was my son. Now that he's gone things are better with the relationship with my son and his step father and the relationship with my husband. I still miss my son but I'm glad to have my house back when he leaves. Yes you will eventually get use to it.

I did get a dog!!! That helped alot.

#3909 - 03/25/04 07:12 AM Re: letting go
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Sounds like what used to be called "Empty Nest Syndrome."
Empty Nest Syndrome is named for how scientists thought the mother bird feels when her baby birds fly away.
I don't know about all birds, but when eaglettes get about the age of teenagers in people years, the mother eagle begins to pull the grass and other soft padding from the nest so the baby birds wind up very uncomfortable on the sticks and thorns of the nest. It is to make them uncomfortable enough to will leave the nest and fly away.

The lesson of that seems to be if we want our children to soar like eagles, we have to not only allow them to fly, we may have to nudge them out of the nest.
Sonds like a good thing for all.
smile

#3910 - 03/25/04 11:43 AM Re: letting go
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
It's kind of strange, when my 1st son left home I thought I'd die but had to push him out because he felt taking care of me was his job. Then my 2nd. son left and came back again and so did the 1st son. All in all for a few years my home was like a revolving door and at times they not only came home they brought a girlfriend. Well, my 2nd son has been gone now for nearly 9 years, with no contact what-so-ever. I am finally over worrying about him and his problems, his choices. But my eldest son who just bought a new home, now wants me to move in with him and his family. I mentioned this before and now again to show that they come and they go but if the love is strong enough, they are always with you. Oh and I have decided not to move in with my son. My home is quite large and I love rambling around in it, eating if, when and what I want, or not. Sleeping late if I choose to or dreaming a story and jumping up at 4:00 AM to type notes into the computer. I guess I am enjoying my independence. Have faith ladies and be proud of your children being able to head out into this big, bad world of ours and do just fine...I am my sons safety net, once their grown thats all we can be. [Razz]

#3911 - 03/26/04 01:11 AM Re: letting go
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I go back and forth with my emotions. Go figure! [Big Grin]
There are moments I'm thrilled for him and his independence, and then there are the moments where I wish he was still living home.

He'll be home in a couple months. Let's see what I'm posting about then! [Eek!]

Smilingthrulife, you're smart to have linked your happiness with the comings and goings of your son. I think it helps us to try to sort these things out.

Oh...we already have a dog, and I still have two younger children at home. [Wink]

#3912 - 03/26/04 01:19 AM Re: letting go
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I go back and forth with my emotions. Go figure! [Big Grin]
There are moments I'm thrilled for him and his independence, and then there are the moments where I wish he was still living home.

He'll be home in a couple months. Let's see what I'm posting about then! :ee

Oh, smilingthrulife...we already have a dog, and I still have two younger children at home. [Wink] Glad to hear you're getting through it!

Chatty, safety nets are life savers. We all need them regardless of age. SOund like you have a good one too!

#3913 - 01/24/05 02:33 AM Re: letting go
chichii Offline

Loc: Grande Prairie
My kids left the nest several years ago, and I still miss them. My daughte is 25 just gave me a granddaughter, she named Crimson 6 months ago, they live about a sixteen to twenty hour drive away from me. We have great no holes bard conversations when we get to gether. My son is 23 married with a 2 year old son Cameron. He lives in town, but works out of town alot. His wife is close to her family that also live in town, so i really only see my son and grandson every two weeks when my son has his week off, or if he is having a problem, needs money, or can't find a sitter on short notice. My daughter even if she was living in town wouldnt play this game. Its strange where you can raise two children the same way and they turn out so different, not that its a bad thing. There're both great kids.chichii

#3914 - 01/24/05 02:34 AM Re: letting go
chichii Offline

Loc: Grande Prairie
My kids left the nest several years ago, and I still miss them. My daughte is 25 just gave me a granddaughter, she named Crimson 6 months ago, they live about a sixteen to twenty hour drive away from me. We have great no holes bard conversations when we get to gether. My son is 23 married with a 2 year old son Cameron. He lives in town, but works out of town alot. His wife is close to her family that also live in town, so i really only see my son and grandson every two weeks when my son has his week off, or if he is having a problem, needs money, or can't find a sitter on short notice. My daughter even if she was living in town wouldnt play this game. Its strange where you can raise two children the same way and they turn out so different, not that its a bad thing. There're both great kids.chichii

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved