The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 193 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4129 - 10/22/04 05:43 PM poker craze
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Have you heard about the poker craze that's sucking in youth across the nation?

The kids in our town are crazy about it. For my son's 16th birthday we gave him an official case of chips and cards. Some people think it's wrong because it's teaching them to gamble, but it sure as heck occupies their time. And they're sitting around our kitchen tables so we know where they are. [Wink]

One night my son went out with a hat and cataract sunglasses on because his friends could tell when he bluffed. [Eek!] It helped!

Most of the time they don't play for money, but occasionally they will on weekends. Five to ten dollar buy ins take a whole night. One night they were up 'til 2:00 until they had the final winner. The three remaining players slept here. The others had to be home by midnight because of their provisional license.

It's also huge on college campuses. Kids can find a game any time of the night or day. Cable offers The World Series of Poker. They watch and pick up strategies. They can practice on their computers. It's nuts.

I'm curious to hear what other women have to say about it. I'm sure it may turn some kids to gambling. My son has mentioned that he thinks some kids could get addicted. That's scary. [Frown]

By the way, I'm getting better at Texas Hold 'Em. My son is tutoring me for the Poker night at Pop-Pop's house this weekend. Since the grandkids in their twenty's play too we decided it was a good reason for the family to get together. I'll let you know how it goes.

Please let me hear your thoughts. Am I a rotten mother?

#4130 - 10/23/04 07:06 AM Re: poker craze
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Dotsie, you are a wonderful mother. I am sure everyone will agree.
I am so glad to hear the kids are doing this around the kitchen table rather than off somewhere else where they can get into trouble.
Keep up the great work and I hope you have fun at the family gathering.
Maggie

#4131 - 10/22/04 10:48 PM Re: poker craze
Ellie Offline

Loc: Towson
Poker is a major pasttime for my youngest - he is 19 and plays at least once a week - but you are right - he has his friends over - they drink soda - and play for 10-20.00 which is what it costs to go to the movies - He will even play with his younger cousins for nickles and dimes - they seem to really enjoy it - as long as it does not get out of hand - I have broached the subject of addiction etc.. because it runs in my family and he promises its just for fun

#4132 - 10/23/04 01:07 AM Re: poker craze
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I think it's a wonderful alternative to some of the outside activities kids take part in. I believe it started with the new series on tv with the poker championships, etc. Could be worse.

#4133 - 10/23/04 10:58 PM Re: poker craze
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thanks for your comments. Ellie, we've always played cards for candy while at the beach living with other families for the week. It was great fun. We'd buy those huge bags of candy at BJ's or Sam's and the kids were in hog heaven. Fun times. [Big Grin]

#4134 - 10/25/04 03:40 AM Re: poker craze
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
My sons and their dad are having a craze on cards at the moment, but they play 500 or euka, not poker. I really don't like playing cards but I am glad they can enjoy each other's company this way.

#4135 - 10/26/04 03:50 PM Re: poker craze
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Dotsie,
My son is 21 and started playing poker in the 3rd grade! His teacher let them (not for money of course) at recess. He has been playing ever since. He hasn't found a game here in NC yet but I'm sure he will.
At his graduation party, they had a huge game going and one of our friends is a cop and he was playing with them...LOL Anyway he said, it was better for them to be inside someones house (usually mine) playing poker than out on the streets doing God knows what.
All of the boys parents knew what they were doing and we all agreed that it was the lesser evil. I always warned him about gambling more than he could afford and they are all still good friends so I guess it worked out okay.
I think gambling is the same as any vice. As long as its done in moderation its alright.

#4136 - 10/26/04 05:49 PM Re: poker craze
Dotsie Offline
Founder

TVC, thanks for your comments. It's good to hear someone who has a good history of playing poker. [Wink]

Julie, you play 500 in Australia! [Eek!] Cool! That's the game my daughter and I play in the summer. She usually wins! [Wink]

Do you have the game Joker Rummy. I believe it was made in Canada. If they like 500, they'll love Joker Rummy. You have to get a specific hand each round. The person to achieve 7 specific hands first, wins. Sounds confusing, but it's fun. You might want to do a Google search for it. [Wink]

#4137 - 10/28/04 04:11 AM Re: poker craze
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The place I live in is Poker Players heaven, not only table poker but slot poker as well. Gamblig is such an addictive sport that I believe if your child shows too much ibnterest too often be worried....My grandson who's only 13 became addicted to the game we bought him Play Station 2. He wouldn't go out to play, he didn't want to even stop to sit down for a meal and finally his grades began to suffer. My son had to take the game away and then put restrictions on his play time. So they can become addicted to anything, it's the world we live in. I can remember playing jacks and pick up sticks and as a young adult belonged to a double pinochle club but was never addicted. Beware ladies.... [Mad]

#4138 - 10/28/04 06:03 PM Re: poker craze
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Chatty, you're right. Thanks for the warning. It is something I think about, but I don't think these kids are addicted at THIS point in time. It's a fun activity for them now, but who knows about the future?

They can become addicted to all these electronics too. What are we doing to our kids? [Frown]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved