The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 113 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4079 - 08/18/04 06:55 PM the close of summer
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We are winding down with all the summer freedom. I know the kids love being off, but I think some of them are yearning for a change in action.

My oldest is back at college and his classes gein today. My younger 2 go back the week before Labor Day.

I recall being a kid and having off between Memorial Day and Labor Day. That was always our summer break. Our kids went until way after Memorial Day and begin before Labor Day.

Has school started in your area?

#4080 - 08/20/04 12:28 AM Re: the close of summer
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Not yet but soon and they are already getting te speed traps up to par, school zones are 15 miles per hour and the cops are everywhere waiting to jump on those that have gotten use to school being out and higher speeds....One good thing is no more noisy kid filled restaurants when out for lunch and late week nights either. Sooo thankful for that... [Roll Eyes]

#4081 - 08/22/04 11:39 PM Re: the close of summer
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Kids here in PA go back to school August 30. I believe the high school kids go back this week. You're right when you say that many long to go back. For some, three months is too long..

#4082 - 08/23/04 03:52 AM Re: the close of summer
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
My son begins kindergarten on Aug 31st. Don't know who is more anxious, him or me.

I think when we were kids and had off for three months, most of our Moms were at home and in our neighborhood we just played in somebodies yard all day or rotated. Whoever had the kids ont heir property at lunch sent out PBJ snadwishes and kool aid. We were discouraged from coming inside during the day and that was fine with us.

Today, many parents work and the kids are at day camp and I think that free ranging sense of freedom is lost. Our days were not scheduled and we moved through them at our pace. Times have changed and in this rregard not for the better in my opinion but I am one of those families where we both work.

I am able to be home after school each day but summers are still tough.

Lynn

#4083 - 08/23/04 03:28 PM Re: the close of summer
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lynn, remember those days of summer? Weren't they the greatest? I must have grown up in a similar neighborhood.

One summer, Leave It To Beaver came on at 9:00am. That was my favorite show. As soon as it was over I was out the door, sometimes not even stopping for lunch. We didn't care about the heat. If it rained we asked out moms if we could play in the rain. It was all about being outside with the neighborhood kids. When it got dark we played flashlight tag, pitched tents, slept on front porches, pulled gags on nieghbors, and had a grand old time.

Thanks for jogging the old memory!

#4084 - 08/23/04 11:08 PM Re: the close of summer
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dot those were truly the good old days and don't forget the lightning bugs, we collected them in jars and they were the lanterns in our tent. Of course having started at a very young age to be aware of kindness to animals etc.the jars were full of holes and we let the bugs go afterwards.

#4085 - 09/01/04 09:14 PM Re: the close of summer
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, sometimes we used plastic tubs and easily poke holes in the lids. Then there were times when all we had were glass jars with medal lids. It wasn't until my kids did the same that I realized why Mom didn't want us sitting the glass jar on the cement and using a screwdriver to punch holes in the lids [Eek!] !

We always added grass and sticks for the bugs to crawl around.

#4086 - 09/02/04 12:20 AM Re: the close of summer
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
not me...I use to take them, gather a bunch together and put them in my sister's bras and panties...

What?

Ya'll didn't do that?

JJ

#4087 - 09/02/04 09:08 AM Re: the close of summer
lalapaloosa Offline

Loc: Winters, California
I remember the summer my brother got a horrible sunburn and could only sit around in his underwear and I made the neighborhood kids pay me a nickle to sneak a peek at the poor guy.... [Eek!] [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] Shame on me!

#4088 - 09/02/04 10:31 PM Re: the close of summer
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Well cousin, you weren't anything but a gleem in your daddys eye when we were visiting and your brother Joe fell against the base of a palm tree and was so badly scraped and gouged. Poor kid...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved