The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#166979 - 12/04/08 03:20 PM Job security
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Just wondering if any of your children have lost their jobs in recent months due to the economy.

Our son, who got a job working for one of the top three most desirable companies over a year ago, is currently facing a possilbe lay off. The company got in to trouble with their credit and things have been going down the tubes since. This morning, we awakened to the news of 800 people from his company being laid off, the majority from the commodities group. Guess what group he works for? You guessed it - commondities. Time will tell. I feel terribly sorry for his co-workers who have families, tuitions, and mortgages. While it will be sad if he loses his job, he certainly has less at stake. Tough times for so many. All I can do is have faith that God has a plan for him and we will watch it be revealed in time.

#166991 - 12/04/08 06:02 PM Re: Job security [Re: Dotsie]
justjoan Offline

Loc: West Michigan
My son-in-law was laid off last month and this month as well. He does receive unemployment. He has to keep his student loans paid on time or he won't be able to apply for more next year to finish his degree. He works in an RV factory. No one has money to buy those right now. The whole county in Indiana where he lives has been hit hard. We live in Michigan and our state has been hit hard as well. Me, I'm a nurse...in the last ten years FOUR positions I have held were eliminated. (Why I'm doing hair accessories right now, lol!) I could work on the floor, but at my age, I don't know if I could handle it anymore.

We're doing the same, putting it in the Big Guy's awesome hands and waiting to see how He pulls us all through! Prayers for your family, as well, Dotsie!

#167012 - 12/04/08 11:38 PM Re: Job security [Re: justjoan]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My son left his trucking job because they never seemed to be able to get his paycheck correct, mistales were in their favor of course. Always promising to FIX IT but never doing so. He now works locally in a pool and patio place. Hates it but its a job!

My ex recently lost his position as 'head collector' for a collection company. NO ONE is paying their current bills, let alonre old ones like he was collecting on. It is a real mess here in Vegas where there WAS always money and jobs.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#167605 - 12/13/08 11:05 PM Re: Job security [Re: chatty lady]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Want job security? Become an undertaker!!! I'm not kidding either.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#167643 - 12/14/08 02:24 PM Re: Job security [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chatty and justjoan, sorry to hear the job losses. joan, paying back college loans is another area that's being hit becasue the kids graduating are either getting jobs and then getting liad off, or not getting jobs.

chatty, I'm osrry to hear about your son, but I'm glad he's not letting them take advantage of him. He was driving when gas prices were the highest, wasn't he? I wonder if it'a any different now...

Our son lost his job at the end of this week. Fortunately, he got a nice severance package that will last him a few months, but meantime, he's got to get a job (finance major) at a time when not many are hiring. He worked for Constellation Energy. They laid off 400 this week, and plan to lay off another 400 in the next couple months. He was in their commodities department which is the department taking the most losses.

A good frien called me Friday to tell me she was also laid of. She worked in real estate. Her job loss means loss of health insurance. That's pretty scary when you're in your early 60s and single.

Somehow, I have faith that all will be well, eventually. I'm grateful my son isn't married and doesn't have children. However, he did just buy a house this summer so he has financial responsibilites.

Edited by Dotsie (12/14/08 02:27 PM)

#167645 - 12/14/08 02:38 PM Re: Job security [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
This area of the country thrives on car manufacturing. Folks are concerned about pensions, health insurance, etc. Terrorists wanted to cripple the U.S. economy: I pray they don't succeed.

#167654 - 12/14/08 04:27 PM Re: Job security [Re: jabber]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Jabber, I too pray they don't succeed either.

My step-sister's half-sister (got that?) lost her job last week, too. Media General is laying off folks at the station level. She is a smart young lady and was in the process of buying a condo. I'm certain she'll qualify for unemployment and is hopeful to find another job elsewhere. Since she has not closed on the condo, she is open to moving - wherever that may be.

I worry about not having a job after March 2009 b/c our trials conclude in March with not too many new cases on the horizon. I work at a law firm and about 20 folks have been layed off, yet somehow the firm has enough to purchase expensive lunches for the attorneys, not the staff. Also, they've hired two new lobbyists -- hope they earn their keep.

Think I'll schedule a physical soon -- while I have insurance!

Dotsie, has your son applied with the Federal Gov't? I understand they may be hiring.

#167663 - 12/14/08 07:39 PM Re: Job security [Re: ]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Dotsie,
I'm sorry about your son being laid off! He is lucky, he has you for a mother!

My son is caught up in academia and applying for doctorate programs. The money is tight there too but he has excellent credentials to help him. We will muddle through and have not heard from the colleges he applied to.

Since school funding is way down, if he is not accepted with a package deal, he will take a year off after he recieves this degree this year and try to find work to save money.

I hope it does not come to that. There are student loans but I don't want my child rolling in debt.

My son who is a Pastor resigned his position only very recently. He has a business that is his own, it is in recycling, which I feel with stay afloast but he is in the job market to do what is close to his heart, which is, helping people. (He has a psyche degree.)

Our children may be the ones who suffer as they compete for jobs with former CEOs!! Quite the problem, I think.

I read that it may stay this way until 2011!

Still, if you choose to travel, now is the time with gas as it is now. Also, any job to do with driving should be easy enough to keep with gas prices SO, So low!

Best of luck to everyone. It seems it's hitting everyone, this financial problem in the country, doesn't it?

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#167664 - 12/14/08 08:49 PM Re: Job security [Re: dancer9]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
It's hitting the entire world, Dancer. In Germany the unemployment rate is terribly high. But it was always higher statistically, compared to the US.

Sorry to hear about all the lay offs. I'm worried about my son's job as well. He had to lay off 35 people last week. I hope the next bout won't include him. He works in a large industrial real-estate company, and nobody is buying.

Oddly enough, I'm holding my own in our business. People are buying apartments, which are so cheap at this point. Certainly is wiser to invest there, than buying stocks.

#167670 - 12/14/08 10:06 PM Re: Job security [Re: ]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: MustangGal
I worry about not having a job after March 2009 b/c our trials conclude in March with not too many new cases on the horizon. I work at a law firm and about 20 folks have been layed off, yet somehow the firm has enough to purchase expensive lunches for the attorneys, not the staff. Also, they've hired two new lobbyists -- hope they earn their keep.

Think I'll schedule a physical soon -- while I have insurance!

Good idea to take advantage of the health insurance coverage while you can, Mustang.

I've been timing my dental appointments carefully....so I will get covered...before left on my own when my contract job finishes next year ..probably in summer 2009.

Yes, us experienced folks will be competing shortly, head to head with the children mentioned in this forum by other members.

No need to worry about young university graduates..they are perceived as faster, technology savvy, etc., etc. They WILL find good jobs, they just have to persist, flexible on type of jobs, be more mobile and start from bottom. Like many of us did or....still might do so to survive.

That's why I do include my resume as part of my hobbies..cycling for xxx years... and all the software where I've designed systems applications from ground up.

I do like to show I am a highly active and experienced worker in good health. Not ready to fall asleep at my computer at work...like another employee my age. (I'm serious...I've had to wake her up. She denies it that she's fallen asleep. yea, right.) THere are ..serious reasons,..why I must remain healthy...to still work and earn money.

For the time being, since right now I'm wondering about end result of yet another job interview, I have already submitted a request for a salary increase for the duration of present contract job. And....I found out ..a number of guys have already requested and got their salary increase. If I don't get the new job, then I get a salary increase. Forget about being a good girl now and waiting around for things to happen. smile

Edited by orchid (12/14/08 10:13 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved